Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2021 9:10:15 PM EDT
Just had to stop in at the lgs I said.  
New instantly when I saw it that it was coming home.  
New 686-6

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice!
View Quote

Sweet revolver, good call.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang, they forgot to flute the cylinder

Otherwise nice revolver. 686 is just a sweet piece.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice!  Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#5]
sweet!
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice . 5” or 6” ?
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#7]
It is a 5 inch.  TALO edition I believe.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I sold this one to a member here. Still regret it.

Attachment Attached File

That grip was the WORST though
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327887/20180516_113304_jpg-1867643.JPG

View Quote

I know what you mean.  I have sold several things that I have regretted.  Have bought a few back but mostly just sit in sadness every once and a while
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#10]
They forgot to finish machining the cylinder, but put an extra hole in the frame.  Wood grips are for show, rubber grips for fo.  And the biggest sin, it's chambered in 357 Mag, more bark than bite, a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none.  Throw it back, quick.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice. I have been looking at these myself for a while now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#12]
So I have been fondling this thing for two days.   Tonight was going to be glorious because it is/was range night.  I have noticed that the rear site was canted slightly.   Read that that seems to be an issue and it was not that bad to remove and “tweak” the rear sight to make it straight.   It was then that I noticed the barrel is canted.   Upset, pissed , I don’t know what to say.   Have a prepaid fedex label to send it in and god only knows when I will get it back.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#14]
That stinks. If it is any consolation, S&W will make it right and usually quick.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#15]
First off, nice purchase. As long as you didnt overpay I would have picked it up too.

As to the photos. Just wow.

People go on about other revolver companies getting back in the buisness, but S&W is arguably the "revolver gurus" of the 20th - 21st century, abso-fukn-lootly no excuse for that crap making it out the door.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
First off, nice purchase. As long as you didnt overpay I would have picked it up too.

As to the photos. Just wow.

People go on about other revolver companies getting back in the buisness, but S&W is arguably the "revolver gurus" of the 20th - 21st century, abso-fukn-lootly no excuse for that crap making it out the door.
View Quote

While OP is waiting for S&W to finish their one job, he should go get something to hide the hillary holes

https://tromix.com/product-category/smith-wesson-cylinder-release-latch/

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 629 Vcomp Performance Center revolver that I got several years ago that was canted like yours. Sent it to S&W, got it back about a month later, still canted. I ended up bringing it to a LGS and he twisted the barrel straight. Cost me $20 I think. I also have a 686+ that is canted. I have never had it fixed. Through the years I have seen quit a few, newer Smiths like this.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#18]
That is really scary to hear.   I hope that does not happen to mine.   I will probably come un-glued if they don’t fix it.   I guess all I can do is wait and see what I get back.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#19]
that sucks
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Should not be.

I am thinking the average shooter might not notice any difference at the range .

Note to self "Check for this problem when buying S&W stuff"!
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a 629 Vcomp Performance Center revolver that I got several years ago that was canted like yours. Sent it to S&W, got it back about a month later, still canted. I ended up bringing it to a LGS and he twisted the barrel straight. Cost me $20 I think. I also have a 686+ that is canted. I have never had it fixed. Through the years I have seen quit a few, newer Smiths like this.
View Quote

Bingo.

I bought a 627 "pro" in Dec of 2017...canted barrel. Sent it in, got it back, barrel still canted.

The good news is that it doesn't effect accuracy, just the tilt of the front sight post. I popped on a Burris FF III and haven't though about it since.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Bingo.

I bought a 627 "pro" in Dec of 2017...canted barrel. Sent it in, got it back, barrel still canted.

The good news is that it doesn't effect accuracy, just the tilt of the front sight post. I popped on a Burris FF III and haven't though about it since.
View Quote

Yes. Mine was plenty accurate, just that I could see that front sight slightly leaning and it drove me crazy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Bingo.

View Quote
I have a flattop Ruger Blackhawk where the front sight base is at an angle vs the top strap,  but the front sight post is a proper vertical & aligned perfectly with the rear sight.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#24]
I love Smith wheelies but my rule of thumb is to always examine closely before buying. And that includes lock and pre lock guns .
The three main things I closely check is barrel cant, cylinder gap, barrel crown . That’s in addition to timing, end shake, etc.
And never buy sight unseen like off the internet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327887/20180516_113304_jpg-1867643.JPG

View Quote

Are those Altamonts?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Well.   I shipped the gun back smith and Wesson on March 19, they received it on March 22.  Got a notice today for return shipment via FedEx for early next week.   Fingers are crossed.  Will post updates when actually have it in hand
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That stinks. If it is any consolation, S&W will make it right and usually quick.
View Quote

Cylinder & Slide will do it even better, bout to send them a 625 now...
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Hopefully they get it fixed quick for you.  I love that unfluted cylinder! It was one of the reasons I got my 629 V-Comp.  

Very nice revolver!
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I got my revolver back today.   I have very mixed emotions.   They had it for roughly 4 weeks.    That is not that bad, but should not have to happen foe the reasons I sent it in.
Now for the rub.  The bench sheet says frame to barrel fit and sights.  They must have replaced the sights.....great
They straitened the barrel, BUT NOT ALL THE FUCKING WAY.   What the hell.  If you go through the motions to do something do it right.   I may try and post pictures up later.   I am going to finally go shoot the damn thing tonight.  I may just end up putting it on my table this weekend at the gun show and get rid of it.   I do not know if I will get past the little bit that is left.   Certainly not going to try and go through the CS processes again.  

I will say that this has pretty much killed any S&W purchases for me in the future.  I will also adamantly voice my opinion against S&W to any that I know who may be purchasing to look else where.  

I am newer to revolvers.   I know I have lots to learn. This just seems to simple of a thing/task to mess up twice.   Once in production and once in a CS return.   I guess the only way for me to fix it if I decide to keep it will be to spend a couple hundred dollars on the stupid frame wrench and blocks and correct it myself.   Sorry for the ramblings.  As said.   After I shoot it I will try and take some pictures.  It will probably be tonight or tomorrow before they come up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Sad that we can fly a drone on Mars from Earth but a company that has been making revolvers since 1852 can’t screw a barrel on straight.
You would think they would clamp the finished gun in a jig and then use some type of laser device to help line up the sights .
I’ve been in the OP’s shoes on this issue . My rule now is to never buy any Smith sight unseen no matter what year it was made .
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well I got my revolver back today.   I have very mixed emotions.   They had it for roughly 4 weeks.    That is not that bad, but should not have to happen foe the reasons I sent it in.
Now for the rub.  The bench sheet says frame to barrel fit and sights.  They must have replaced the sights.....great
They straitened the barrel, BUT NOT ALL THE FUCKING WAY.   What the hell.  If you go through the motions to do something do it right.   I may try and post pictures up later.   I am going to finally go shoot the damn thing tonight.  I may just end up putting it on my table this weekend at the gun show and get rid of it.   I do not know if I will get past the little bit that is left.   Certainly not going to try and go through the CS processes again.  

I will say that this has pretty much killed any S&W purchases for me in the future.  I will also adamantly voice my opinion against S&W to any that I know who may be purchasing to look else where.  

I am newer to revolvers.   I know I have lots to learn. This just seems to simple of a thing/task to mess up twice.   Once in production and once in a CS return.   I guess the only way for me to fix it if I decide to keep it will be to spend a couple hundred dollars on the stupid frame wrench and blocks and correct it myself.   Sorry for the ramblings.  As said.   After I shoot it I will try and take some pictures.  It will probably be tonight or tomorrow before they come up.
View Quote
It's my understanding that this is the inherent downside to single piece barrels these days, is that sometimes they can get the sights straight, or the cylinder gap perfect, but sometimes not both, which is why they have been putting out so many more models with a two piece barrel system.  

Not saying it's right, especially since they used to be able to get it right 100% of the time, just saying that it's a thing these days.  

Maybe with Colt/CZ getting back in the revolver game, S&Ws QC department will have to up their game.

Sorry about your experience; it's awful when a fun new revolver has some serious flaws
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Rotating a barrel ten or fifteen degrees won't have any significant impact on the barrel/cylinder gap.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Rotating a barrel ten or fifteen degrees won't have any significant impact on the barrel/cylinder gap.
View Quote

When optimal vs. 'bad' cylinder gaps can be measured at just a couple of 1/1000ths of an inch... you may be surprised how much difference a little turn of the barrel in, or out can make.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks a lot like my 5.5" 627-0.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

When optimal vs. 'bad' cylinder gaps can be measured at just a couple of 1/1000ths of an inch... you may be surprised how much difference a little turn of the barrel in, or out can make.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's easy enough to figure out. The barrel threads are 36 per inch. So one full turn is .02778". That makes it .000077" per degree. In the OP's picture it looks like the barrel needed to be turned out five degrees or so. That would open the gap by an additional .000386".

Edited to add:
From what I'm finding on the web, S & W considers anything between .003" - 010" acceptable.
My guess is that the guy doing the repair at S&W was concerned about opening a gap between the frame and barrel shoulder.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:23:33 AM EDT
[#36]
This is one of those things that I would’ve assumed you set the barrel so its aligned with the frame and then assuming barrel gap is tight, you trim the face slightly. Seems like a range of .003-.010 is pretty fat. Very sad that smith cs has fallen this far.  

Was it me, I’d probably call up smith and ask to talk to the shop supervisor.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's easy enough to figure out. The barrel threads are 36 per inch. So one full turn is .02778". That makes it .000077" per degree. In the OP's picture it looks like the barrel needed to be turned out five degrees or so. That would open the gap by an additional .000386".

Edited to add:
From what I'm finding on the web, S & W considers anything between .003" - 010" acceptable.
My guess is that the guy doing the repair at S&W was concerned about opening a gap between the frame and barrel shoulder.
View Quote

.003 to .010 is a HUGE range for cylinder gap.

As much as I love my S&W revolvers, I appreciate my Dan Wessons more and more over time.
I can set my gap as I like.  My .357 I tend to set between .002 and .003... at .002, I have to wipe my cylinder face down every 50 or so rounds to keep it moving freely, but the accuracy is amazing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

.003 to .010 is a HUGE range for cylinder gap.

As much as I love my S&W revolvers, I appreciate my Dan Wessons more and more over time.
I can set my gap as I like.  My .357 I tend to set between .002 and .003... at .002, I have to wipe my cylinder face down every 50 or so rounds to keep it moving freely, but the accuracy is amazing.
View Quote

I came close to buying one of the early three barrel sets that they offered when they were in production. I wish I had, those Dan Wesson revolvers were ahead of their time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Actually I think S&W has extended it to .012 now . Last year I measured a NIB Performance Center 629 and the gap was .014 ! ??
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Actually I think S&W has extended it to .012 now . Last year I measured a NIB Performance Center 629 and the gap was .014 ! ??
View Quote

I would imagine the fireball that one produces is pretty solid.... like scorch your hands big.

I wonder how many rounds it'll go before showing serious erosion?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#41]
At least they actually worked on yours.  I sent an overclocked 686 back, and it was returned ''in spec.''

Barrel cylinder gap was .008.  The rep advised twelve thou to be the new max.

Crooked barrels, big gaps, and they throw the lock in for free!

I'm glad Colt is back in the revolver business.  I picked up three this year and have had better luck knock wood.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Sad, but many times that will be considered "within spec" by S&W. That's the reason many will only consider older guns.

Go over to www.smith-wessonforum.com

Lots and other of information there.

Tons of threads about canted barrels.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Its despicable but when S&W can pump out plastic pistols for massive profit why would they bother putting any effort into metal framed revolvers.  Granted most companies are having the end user be the QC nowadays, but I would have hoped that they would have least fixed it upon it being sent back.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#44]
I am over it.   Sold the gun for what I paid.   Moving on.  Like I said before I highly doubt there will be any S&W’s in my future.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sold the gun for what I paid.
View Quote
At least the outcome didn't cost anything other than time and frustration
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Someone already posted, older S&W revolvers are quality, newer ones, I’ve never bought new, but I’ve heard bad things.  The only S&W revolver I bought new was a Mod 36 in 1993.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I am over it.   Sold the gun for what I paid.   Moving on.  Like I said before I highly doubt there will be any S&W’s in my future.
View Quote

Thats to bad. All companies put out lemons here and there
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Someone already posted, older S&W revolvers are quality, newer ones, I’ve never bought new, but I’ve heard bad things.  The only S&W revolver I bought new was a Mod 36 in 1993.
View Quote

Older guns had issues to. There just wasn't an internet back in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thats to bad. All companies put out lemons here and there
View Quote

It is not so much that they put out a lemon, it is that when I sent it in to be corrected they did basically nothing.   Then sent it back.  That is the major rub.  I can see how something can slip through QC, but when it is returned to the factory and then sent back and not fixing that is a major WTF.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just do like I do and only buy the older pre-lock, pre-MIM stuff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top