Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2017 7:24:54 PM EDT
So I mounted a Bushnell TRS-25 on my Desert Eagle L5 .357, and went to sight it in today. It sits low, which is nice. I can almost co-witness the iron sights through it. I can just see the very top of the front sight at the bottom of the view port. It would be close enough in a pinch, anyway.

In any event, had bore-sighted the dot at home, and I ran 20 rounds through it to fine-tune the point of aim, when I got to the range. Then I wanted to shoot a few rounds over the chronograph. Around half way through a mag at the chrono, I notice a crack now running through the rear lens of the scope. At this point, the dot is still working and hitting where it should, but I'm concerned about the cracked lens.  It lasted approximately 25 rounds of .357 before the lens failed.

I ended up pulling the optic and finished out the day shooting iron sights.

I was a little surprised at the failure. I have three of these TRS-25s, and they have always worked well. I have run them on rifles and submachine guns with no issue. Apparently the magnum pistol recoil was a bit much for it.

So, what small red dots have people been using on their Desert Eagles that have held up? I have used traditional magnified pistol scopes, as well as EoTechs and Bushnell Holosights with no issues.  But I would like something small enough that I could carry it in a holster.

Suggestion?

Here is what it looks like. Notice the crack in the left side of the lens.

Link Posted: 12/22/2017 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been running the Leupold Delta Point Pro on my .50AE for 2 years now with no issues.  Holds zero and stays put.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Odd.  My TRS25 is on my AK that gets abused well....still kicking & holds zero(directly on a dog leg rail)
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Anything mass produced will eventually sneak something through qc. Or it can't handle the de.

Either way Bushnell has an awesome customer service department.

Call them. They will replace it. If it happens again with the replacement they will probably upgrade it to a more suitable model, even if higher MSRP.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, they have a great warranty now. When I bought that sight 4 or 5 years ago, the warranty was only good for a year. I may call them about it anyway and see what they say.

I ended up putting a new FastFire III on it (with a lifetime warranty). So far it's held up to several hundred rounds.

Link Posted: 12/23/2017 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well, they have a great warranty now. When I bought that sight 4 or 5 years ago, the warranty was only good for a year. I may call them about it anyway and see what they say.

I ended up putting a new FastFire III on it (with a lifetime warranty). So far it's held up to several hundred rounds.

https://i.imgur.com/E2luwTg.jpg
View Quote
Is it actually an improvement over the iron sights on an eagle ?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is it actually an improvement over the iron sights on an eagle ?
View Quote
The jury is still out on that one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your setup seems so ridiculous, and yet so fucking rad at the same time. I really really love it. An optic'd DE, with holster/capability to carry, with 3 reloads on tap is just so f'ing great. 'MURICA!!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Who makes your mag carriers?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Who makes your mag carriers?
View Quote
I made them, using some foam floor mats for a press.

I find it works ok for small stuff like this. But I need some better thermal foam to make a holster. When I tried, it didn't have much definition, and didn't hold the gun in place like I wanted it to.

Fortunately, I found I could configure an old Hogue Powerspeed holster to hold the DE. It even works with a silencer attached!  

Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Your setup seems so ridiculous, and yet so fucking rad at the same time.
View Quote
Thanks! And you have not yet begun to see rediculous. (Although my post above this one is a good start).

I had a crazy idea to set up the DE for a USPSA Open Division gun. You know, just in case I ever go shoot in one of those states with a 10-round mag limit. Call it my California Open Gun.

I plan to try it in a match this coming spring. I should be able to get some video when I do.

Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:54:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I really want to get a 10" barrel and have it threaded but that adds another 1500$ to the price of this...

Just went ahead and bought this.

She needs some work but I've always wanted one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top