Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2020 3:19:24 AM EDT
So forgive my wondering mind at 3 AM but i have been giving more and more thought to doing a custom Ruger Super Redhawk build in .44 Mag. I am a huge fan of the .44 and really like the idea of having a durable DA/SA revolver for carrying and hunting. I like the smiths but cant get it out of my head that a Ruger SR Alaskan but with a 3-5" barrel would be awesome. Maybe even perfect. They will take a steady diet of hot handloads better than Smith frames and you can mount a scope directly to them.

I guess where im going with this is, can a guy take a 7.5 or 9.5" SR and have the barrel cut to a 5" length similar to the Toklats and have a really good, really durable revolver that is also small enough to carry when needed? Anybody know of anyone who has done this or does the gunsmithing on stuff like this? I looked for Toklats in .44 as it ran in my mind they were made briefly but all i could find was .454's and thats a bit too much for my needs here in PA.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Maybe other recommendations? My mind usually doesnt rest until i figure this sorta thing out and sometimes, i just gotta have it
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:28:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd look into Bowen Customs.  He does a lot of Rugers.  He's got a couple ones with Anaconda barrels which look pretty nice.
Bowen's Website
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 3:39:42 AM EDT
[#2]
That gun with a 4"-4.5" barrel would be a sweet gun.  Personally I'm not a fan of longer barrels unless you're planning on putting a scope on it and hunting with it.  

I'd kill for a stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley .44 magnum with a 4.62" barrel.   Seems like the perfect SBH to me.  I'll probably have the 5.5" barrel on my Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt cut down to 4.62" one of these days.  I can get a little extra velocity out of the 5.5" barrel but it's a bit nose heavy in my opinion and the shorter barrel is more convenient.

I'd love to have a gun like you described with a 4-4.5" barrel.  I've been wanting a Redhawk with the 4.2" barrel but I much prefer a full lug.  I absolutely hate the weird two different size barrels on the SRH and wouldn't own one but a normal barrel on an Alaskan would be beautiful.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
@XJ700AWR

Talk to Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle High Performance. https://pinnaclehighperformance.com
He is in PA and should be able to take care of this (relatively easy mod on a SRH)
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#4]
@98Redline
appreciate the heads-up, looks like he does very good work and doesnt want an arm and a leg either. Ill likely go with him! Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:16:17 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a pretty straightforward mod. Magnaport used to sell it as a package, wild west guns had something similar. As mentioned, Bowen will install an Anaconda barrel on an Alaskan. That makes the best looking Ruger in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd look into Bowen Customs.  He does a lot of Rugers.  He's got a couple ones with Anaconda barrels which look pretty nice.
Bowen's Website
View Quote

Wow they have some really nice wheel guns there! For the price and craftsmanship they should be!
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:23:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wow they have some really nice wheel guns there! For the price and craftsmanship they should be!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bowen's Website

Bowen guns fall somewhere on the scale between family heirloom and fine Swiss watch. Probably one of the top two revolver smiths in the country.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#8]
This has been done and it looks awesome. There are few threads on the Ruger forum.com with pics
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bowen's Website
View Quote

That does look nice!

Link Posted: 7/23/2020 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#11]
^^^Too bad Ruger doesn't make anything like this normally. That looks amazing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
^^^Too bad Ruger doesn't make anything like this normally. That looks amazing.
View Quote

I am a huge fan of the Redhawk. The SRH is a great gun for what it is and mechanically is a better design than the RH but the RH's aesthetics look so much better.
Throw in some Bowen inspired modifications and it really shines.

This one was posted in another thread but man...does it really look nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top