Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2020 6:03:28 PM EDT
I'm looking at ordering a new M9. I've heard that Gallatin had some initial quality issues, and those may not be entirely resolved but who knows? Anyone with a current manufacture Tennessee gun that's had issues?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an early US M9A1 and used to have one of the first Vertecs made in the US. Neither had any issues.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a 92 but I have a new us manufactured 21a. I have yet to get through a mag of any kind of ammo. Two of my three factory mags will not seat properly and none will run with 7 in the mag.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:45:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a gallatin m9, it’s perfect.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate to say it but Beretta seems to have slipped.    I was out of the game for a while but then fell into a super sweet deal on a 92A1.   It was OK until I installed the G conversion kit.    Then I really liked it.   I started shopping around for more Beretta's to extend the collection but started seeing a lot of posts about really crappy work coming from Beretta and Beretta refusing to do anything about it.    Personally, I cannot see any reason that they would have off center machining like that.    I would be embarrassed if that came of the machine, much less made it out of the facility.   It is unfortunate because they were a good company with a lot of history.

If you do order then I would inspect it carefully before accepting it from the FFL.

recent post about some of the crap they have been producing:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Why-do-Berettas-have-wonky-asymmetrical-slides-/15-191838/

Good luck,

2Hut8
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an early Gallatin M9A1, no complaints. I’ve seen the horror stories but I haven’t dealt with any myself.

The Accokeeks are probably better on the whole, but the Gallatins are generally okay.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I got my M9A1 last December and it was a Gallatin TN manufactured model. My only gripe is the plastic parts which I promptly switched out to all steel parts. Also changed out the grips to Langdon Tactical VZ grips and a D spring. With that setup its been very reliable and accurate. So far got about 2k rounds through it and its holding up well.

Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#7]
My Gallatin M9A1, and others I've handled, have zero issues cosmetically or functionally. Perfectly symmetrical machining, buttery smooth action, accurate and reliable. Like all my Berettas. Seems to just be a lot of negativity lately. Perhaps more than usual. Towards everything. Beretta, Brownells, Colt, Sig....everything is literally garbage these days.... Every manufacturer can, and does, have issues from time to time and new models tend to have some teething problems.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:46:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got my M9A1 last December and it was a Gallatin TN manufactured model. My only gripe is the plastic parts which I promptly switched out to all steel parts. Also changed out the grips to Langdon Tactical VZ grips and a D spring. With that setup its been very reliable and accurate. So far got about 2k rounds through it and its holding up well.

https://i.imgur.com/2QcMr7A.jpg
View Quote
The exterior of your barrel looks like crap to me in the photo, but it might just be the angle and light...

Forrest
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The exterior of your barrel looks like crap to me in the photo, but it might just be the angle and light...

Forrest
View Quote
Its a bit of wear starting to show on the barrel.

Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Is that normal wear for a Beretta 92?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn!  I those look like machining marks...  Are they smooth or can you feel them with your finger nail?

D
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’m not sure it’s my only M9A1. It’s got at least 2k rounds through it I lost count after 1k. I also dryfire the hell out of it out of comp-tac international holster without light and with phlster floodlight with light.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Damn!  I those look like machining marks...  Are they smooth or can you feel them with your finger nail?

D
View Quote
They are definitely machining marks under the finish.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:27:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Gallatin hired a shitload of "diversity" employees when they opened. Most either don't know or don't care or both about QC on a gun. Just sad what they've morphed into after the move.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 2:16:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought a new M9a1 a couple weeks back to act as host for a .22 conversion. It's every bit as good as my M9's, and Italian 92s. Fit and finish were the same, but damn was the DA pull heavy. Then again they all are, and get D springs as soon as I get them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:49:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Gallatin hired a shitload of "diversity" employees when they opened. Most either don't know or don't care or both about QC on a gun. Just sad what they've morphed into after the move.  
View Quote
You’re like a broken record with that, huh?

I personally wouldn’t hesitate to buy a newly manufactured American Beretta.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Tennessee Tomcat in .32 acp.  No complaints at all.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You’re like a broken record with that, huh?

I personally wouldn’t hesitate to buy a newly manufactured American Beretta.
View Quote
The facts are what they are, despite you not liking them. Those posting issues with the TN-made Beretta's aren't making the issues up out of thin air. Buy what you want, I hope you get one of those clunkers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The facts are what they are, despite you not liking them. Those posting issues with the TN-made Beretta's aren't making the issues up out of thin air. Buy what you want, I hope you get one of those clunkers.
View Quote
Oh, I will, and I’m confident I won’t have any issues. I’m pretty sure that I can look at my Italian and Maryland made 92’s and find issues if I really want to nitpick. Same with my Colts, but I digress. I guess feelings were really hurt at that job fair.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:51:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Oh, I will, and I’m confident I won’t have any issues. I’m pretty sure that I can look at my Italian and Maryland made 92’s and find issues if I really want to nitpick. Same with my Colts, but I digress. I guess feelings were really hurt at that job fair.
View Quote
The issues being posted aren't "nitpicking", but serious wear and/or misfitting. Go back & re-read the threads.

As for my "feelings", I've long since moved on as well as moved to East TN. But thanks for caring.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:38:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The issues being posted aren't "nitpicking", but serious wear and/or misfitting. Go back & re-read the threads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oh, I guess no Italian or Maryland made Beretta has ever had such issues. Must be so.

As for my "feelings", I've long since moved on as well as moved to East TN. But thanks for caring.  
Apparently not
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/rNcDwD3.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forrest

WTF
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#23]
From what I have personally seen with the 92 series pistol coming out of TN I wouldn't touch them.
I have seen :
- Horrible machining in the dust cover area, just running the slide by hand multiple times and the finish was flying off the slide.
- Excessive machine marks on barrels etc.
- Bad staking on extractor pins, looked like they use rocks as hammers!
- Stripped grip screw that wouldn't tighten, either frame or screw.
-Poorly applied finish's on slide, had more orange peel then a $99 Macao paint job.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a 30 year old 92FS that doesn't look like that. Damn.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Forrest
View Quote
I got a few Gallatin guns that also came with that shitty barrel "finish".  Looks like instead of a finish pass on the OD in a lathe a drunk chimpanzee used a dremel.  Purely cosmetic though.

One had to go back since they forgot to stake the extractor pin.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
That looks like crap.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Handled some recently.  Don’t like the thick paint finish on the slides.  Looks like it would flake off.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
With Berettas locking block, and zero tilt of the barrel for lock up, can anyone explain how those marks got there?  Carry wear?  On my Beretta, I can see daylight, between the top of the barrel and the inside portion of the slide just below the front sight, for the entire cycle of the slide, if I cycle the slide by hand.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 2:21:43 AM EDT
[#29]
@86HMMWV - Everyone here loves Beretta handguns, no one is disputing that. But multiple people have first hand experience, myself included, with poor quality control coming out of the new TN factory. I had a 2019 TN M9A1 with a frame that was blue due to poor anodizing. I've had other 2018/2019 TN 92 series with poorly staked extractor pins, and other issues. I just saw one of the 92G Volunteer models yesterday and the barrel looked off center, and there was a larger amount of material to one side of the barrel at the muzzle than the other side. Do they still shoot? Yes. But should we accept poor QC? No, not in my opinion.

The poster above with the M9A1, those machine marks on your barrel are not normal. Will it affect function? Probably not, but it still looks like dogshit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 2:46:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not a 92 but I have a new us manufactured 21a. I have yet to get through a mag of any kind of ammo. Two of my three factory mags will not seat properly and none will run with 7 in the mag.
View Quote
I finally had a single trouble-free magazine's worth of shooting the other day.

This is the second 21a that I've ever bought.  The previous one was made somewhere around '90, IIRC.

The first one that the dealer brought to me from the backroom looked so awful, that I had him get me another one.  The second one wasn't much better.  Should have taken that as a hint, and not bought the damn thing.

The first one wasn't particularly reliable, but at least I could get maybe 30 trouble-free rounds downrange before it turned into a jam-o-matic.  This new one's record is 9.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@86HMMWV - Everyone here loves Beretta handguns, no one is disputing that. But multiple people have first hand experience, myself included, with poor quality control coming out of the new TN factory. I had a 2019 TN M9A1 with a frame that was blue due to poor anodizing. I've had other 2018/2019 TN 92 series with poorly staked extractor pins, and other issues. I just saw one of the 92G Volunteer models yesterday and the barrel looked off center, and there was a larger amount of material to one side of the barrel at the muzzle than the other side. Do they still shoot? Yes. But should we accept poor QC? No, not in my opinion.

The poster above with the M9A1, those machine marks on your barrel are not normal. Will it affect function? Probably not, but it still looks like dogshit.
View Quote
Every frame I've seen out of Gallatin (7 that I've owned) was blue instead of black due to an anomaly in the anodizing.  There was an old thread here where someone even had a white swirl on theirs where it was unprotected.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Based on my sample of two I would say no. I have an old Italian 92S and a newer (‘96) 92FS and the barrels don’t look like that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I should have followed my own advice. I bought a brand new M9A1 in late 2019, here is what it looks like:

The anodizing on the frame is so jacked up that it looks blue/purple. I sold that on consignment at a shop soon after buying it.

Then I stupidly picked up a brand new M9 today, despite my first hand knowledge that Beretta USA and the guns coming out of the TN plant have terrible quality control. I looked the gun over, the frame anodizing looked great, the barrel was centered, the muzzle looked fine, and the stakes on the various pins looked great. Once I got it home and looked at it closer, I noticed this wonderful quality control:

That's the right side safety plunger spring you can see in the slide rail. I suspect they just drilled the hole for the safety plunger and spring too close to the edge of the slide rail, and now there's just a fucking hole with a spring in it on the slide rail. I'm guessing this could have serious consequences, seeing as slide rails generally get lubed and collect debris. If debris were to get in there and gum up that spring and plunger, the safety could potentially get stuck on or off. That's just my uneducated take on it.

The weird discoloration you see on the inside of the slide is actually just the factory lube, it rubs off and looks normal. But, notice the ridiculous tool marks on the inside of the slide. Those don't rub off.

Don't buy TN made guns unless you can look at it in person, field strip it, and go over it with a magnifying glass. After everything checked out regarding the frame and barrel and pins, I got lazy and didn't look over the entire thing. Don't let my mistake be your mistake too. I'll be taking this back to Fin Feather Fur in Middleburg Hts. before my 10 day return period is up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#34]
1. Fuck Ohio State
2. Holy shit! that slide is FUBAR.  I just went and checked my new 92X and thank goodness, it doesn't look like ^^^
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#35]
The good thing is Italian made guns seem to be in ample supply currently and every one I've seen in the past few years has very, very good fit and finish.

Not all models are made there though so if you want a commercial M9 then you would have to find an older Maryland gun or take a chance on a TN gun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks like tool chatter. They really need a good setup person in the machine shop. QC must be minimal at best. The pistols work fine but they lost the old school craftsmanship.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#37]
This stuff jives with what I've heard. Supposedly Gallatin is using some locally brewed machinery instead of 100% ISO.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'll be taking this back to Fin Feather Fur in Middleburg Hts. before my 10 day return period is up.
View Quote
Good Call!!!!   On the other hand I would have loved to hear what Beretta had to say about that one.

But how does that happen?    Wouldn’t they use a fixture for drilling that hole?   Somebody decided that they didn’t want to use the fixture that day and decided to eyeball it just for fun?

2Hut8
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#39]
This thread makes me glad i went with an Italian 92FS.
Gun is perfect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top