Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2021 3:59:29 PM EDT
Does anyone know who could repair cracked pre-b stainless CZ75 frame?
I’m not sure it’s safe to shoot without the repair?
Perhaps the frame needs some sort of welding job?
It looks like some chunk of metal is missing on the rear and the holes... perhaps casting flaw?
How much should I expected to pay on a repair like this?
Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not super expert, but I do lost wax cast silver and bronze in the garage.

That looks exactly like a casting flaw known as shrinkage.  We'd call the pits next to it "blow holes".  Looks like that just had some issues during manufacturing.  The line that runs through that lower pitted hole reinforces that thought.

Does the "crack" continue on the inside of the rail from where it wraps around the back?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#2]
My pre b frame goes all the way to the back of the slide.  Looks like yours broke a while ago and was cleaned up?
I don’t know if that would be worth fixing or who would.   Are there still cheap pre b guns out there?  Mine was like 350 used but that was years ago.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does anyone know who could repair cracked pre-b stainless CZ75 frame?
I’m not sure it’s safe to shoot without the repair?
Perhaps the frame needs some sort of welding job?
It looks like some chunk of metal is missing on the rear and the holes... perhaps casting flaw?
How much should I expected to pay on a repair like this?
Thanks in advance.

https://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/2827/B39B380E-1178-4C00-852F-7BEEEA3EC3AF.jpg

https://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/2827/4130F20A-5818-4965-9A18-CBC2480CD7FD.jpg

https://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/2827/F06630D0-0BB5-4849-B2F6-73D8E5E21DC0.jpg

https://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/2827/F2D866AE-3936-44AB-9E1C-D302452A9076.jpg
View Quote

Yikes!  Was that dipped in acid?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The missing chunk is concerning too, but it was either not a big enough problem for them to worry about it at the factory, or someone refinished it.

I could have been in incomplete cast and they just filed it down.  All I'm doing now is speculating though.  Curious to see if there's an expert with an answer.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks to me like it was welded once before.  The missing piece was probably filed off to clean things up to a tolerable level.  Clean it really good and look at the inside of the rail for a proud weld, wavy corners, or file marks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's the more pic....

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Way back, my first 97B I uncovered some cracks in the same spots on it's frame.  Since I'm in KC area, I just drove it over to CZ when they were here.  They took a look at it, took my info and in a couple weeks a whole new 97B arrived via FedEx.  So, I'd contact them first with these pics and see what they say.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#8]
That would be nice... do they have lifetime warranty?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Way back, my first 97B I uncovered some cracks in the same spots on it's frame.  Since I'm in KC area, I just drove it over to CZ when they were here.  They took a look at it, took my info and in a couple weeks a whole new 97B arrived via FedEx.  So, I'd contact them first with these pics and see what they say.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
CZ replaced a broken P07 for me before.  I don’t know what they would do for you.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice!

Quoted:
CZ replaced a broken P07 for me before.  I don’t know what they would do for you.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/F8F6C30B-8873-4C32-9966-7687DF52ACD4_jpe-1928444.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#11]
That looks like it was repaired before, maybe by silver soldering?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I would agree with the members that said it was welded before. It sure looks like it both on the outside and the inside. The pitting is the result of dirt in the casting that was trying to float to the top during welding. This type of inclusion in casting is rather common. I would contact CZ and see what they say, maybe you will get lucky.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks,
Will get in touch with CZ and see what you they want to say.

Quoted:
I would agree with the members that said it was welded before. It sure looks like it both on the outside and the inside. The pitting is the result of dirt in the casting that was trying to float to the top during welding. This type of inclusion in casting is rather common. I would contact CZ and see what they say, maybe you will get lucky.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not a CZ owner but I'm curious as to if it has seen a lot of use?  Looks like for safety's-sake it should be retired.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm not a CZ owner but I'm curious as to if it has seen a lot of use?  Looks like for safety's-sake it should be retired.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Actually, the firearm is in very good shape with minimal wear on the slide, barrel and frame except the crack of course.
It’s either casting flaw or user error?

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#17]
To my untrained eye it looks like a flaw during manufacturing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That would be nice... do they have lifetime warranty?
View Quote

No, but they're well known for taking care of their customers when the gun is obviously defective, as your is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Never heard of a stainless Pre B.

The edges of the holes for the safety are super rounded off.  All mine are nice sharp corners/edges.

I've only stripped the finish (parkerized) off one Pre B and the metal surface of the frame was way smoother than that one.

I wonder if there is anyone willing to work on that frame, especially in that area where it's cracked.

CZ no longer makes the stainless steel CZ75 (bright/shiny or matte finish) pistols.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, that's the same thing I was told by another local CZ guru!

Unfortunately, it has a faint CAI (Century import) marking on the frame and CZ won't touch it. :(

Quoted:
Never heard of a stainless Pre B.

The edges of the holes for the safety are super rounded off.  All mine are nice sharp corners/edges.

I've only stripped the finish (parkerized) off one Pre B and the metal surface of the frame was way smoother than that one.

I wonder if there is anyone willing to work on that frame, especially in that area where it's cracked.

CZ no longer makes the stainless steel CZ75 (bright/shiny or matte finish) pistols.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I had one of the Swiss made CZ clone guns and it had all sorts of issues like this, presumably new from mfg.  Unsure who made the frame.

May want to consider sending it off to a CZ custom place and just having it built on a new frame.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 1:02:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Too bad. Nice pieces. As mentioned, build on a new frame or even to get something back out of it consider parting out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Send it to Vulcan Gun Restorations in Maidstone, Ontario. They can repair it with laser welding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top