Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2020 9:15:25 PM EDT
I have read about the special operations adoptions of the SIG, Glock, and other firearm for ages.
Although corrosion is mentioned in almost every such thread, what I have not seen is any info regarding the particularities of the standard procedures, and  the particular products used, to protect such firearmsin anticipation of submergence in water or salt water or exposure to alkaline dust or other corrosive elements in service.
There must be some officially tested and approved substances or products for these expected environments.
What are they, and how are they to be applied for best effect in these situations?

I said "officially" tested and approved. Marketing information doesn't interest me.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out a product called NO-OX-1D  "A".  It is manufactured by the Sanchem company, 1600 South Canal Street, Chicago, Ill.  It is an anti corrosive, water proof grease with a primary target of food processing machinery.  It may sprayed with heated spraying equipment, brushed on the items dunked into a molten pot as you would use cosmoline.

Contact them for full technical information.  I use it as a thin film applied to firearms that will be exposed to the elements for long periods.  They don't rust.  I also use it on battery terminals; they don't corrode.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:15:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Mindless. Military tests show NO-OX-ID is better than cosmoline. Will obtain some.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The p226 navy has some factory coating on the internals. You could probably ask some coasties in gd what they do for saltwalter. Cost guard, navy, all the salt water guys are probably the roughest on guns.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 5:40:57 AM EDT
[#5]
There was a Navy Seal on one of the Military Forums, Yes he was a real one.
He said the procedure was to flush the guns out with Fresh water as soon as possible then clean as usual.
For Lube they were using a product called "Marine Pal".
It was developed for lubing stuff on ocean oil rigs. If I remember it was Purple in color.
The marine pay didn't wash off in water.
Can't seem to find a good link as where to buy it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Fresh water is pretty harmless to a modern handgun with modern coatings.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry a Glock around fertilizer all summer in a very hot, humid, salty environment and have had no corrosion issues with just a good cleaning a couple times a year and wipe down with an oily rag every month or so.

I do have everything but the slide done in NP3.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Regular CLP or motor oil, whatever. Hydrophobic grease if it's really hot and not using a suppressor.

Painting/cera-kote also helps the surfaces...
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out a product called NO-OX-1D  "A".  It is manufactured by the Sanchem company, 1600 South Canal Street, Chicago, Ill.  It is an anti corrosive, water proof grease with a primary target of food processing machinery.  It may sprayed with heated spraying equipment, brushed on the items dunked into a molten pot as you would use cosmoline.

Contact them for full technical information.  I use it as a thin film applied to firearms that will be exposed to the elements for long periods.  They don't rust.  I also use it on battery terminals; they don't corrode.
View Quote

I was sidetracked for a while. But finally got around to running down details and availability info regarding these Sanchem products.
They are useful in many corrosion prevention endeavors. The two products that interest me most are NO-OX-ID "A", which is intended for hot application (160-180F) dries harder and passes 3 YEAR salt spray tests with no corrosion of metal....and "NO-OX-ID "A Special" which can be applied hot or cold. Test results of the "A" type that I have read are impressive, superior to Cosmoline, and easier to remove (any petroleum solvent).
The "A Special" is softer, is used in the electrical industry and is widely available and easy to find. The "A", hot application type is harder to find. Both are available at reasonable prices here:
https://rrtools.com/product/no-ox

It might be of interest to others, especially these days.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not diving in salt water with my guns, but an exterior coating of Ren Wax works great at keeping surface corrosion in check.

FWIW ... this is used on some of the world's most valuable weapons and armor (in museums).  A little of this wax goes a LONG way.

If you're going OTB or fast roping into some sandy shite hole ... ignore my post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top