Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2020 3:50:05 PM EDT
I traded for some Blazer Brass 9mm FMJ locally and of course didnt have my glasses on.  Getting it home and looking a bit closer at it i see a lot of spots on it.   Brass cases ammo doesnt rust correct?   What the heck is this and is it okay to shoot?   I have 250 rounds of this and probably wont be shooting it for months. All of my other ammo purchased through the years is stored in original boxs in metal ammo cans with an O2 absorber.   Never seen this before and some of my ammo is several years old.  Assuming it is okay to shoot a few questions that i would love some input on.  

1. How best to store this?   Should i not mix it with other brass?    Take it out of the box?  

2.  Can the brass still be reloaded?    

Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Just water spots/tarnish, shoot it and it won't bother you in the least.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Ammo is fine
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
That is the way the chambered and in chambered round looks after a year if you never shoot your hollows but handle them frequently, IME.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Fine.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Appreciate all the help.   I had few beers to relieve the stress now i can have a few more to celebrate.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Blazer Brass uses thinly copper plated bullets over lead.  Some of the brass case finishing steps, (wash-dry-tumble-polish) are skipped.  

Doing all the steps makes cheaply made crap ammo look nice.  Not doing it gives you what you got there.  Funny looking but perfectly functional.

There is nothing wrong with it, other than cosmetically.  

The real problem is that in guns like Smiths with sharp rifling, the plating comes off in gobs and sprays the hell out of your target. Or bystanders.

Its why the boxes say, Not For Law Enforcement Use.

Lawman and the Gold Dot series use thicker plating to avoid that.  Something like 0.001” or 0.002” rather than 0.007” or some such numbers.  The Lawman and Gold Dot don’t shred.

Federal uses the same bullets, IF, they run outta FMJ.

They all package the plated stuff in boxes saying, FMJ.  It isn’t.  Its plated.  Like Berry’s junk.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll take it if you don't want it....
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blazer Brass uses thinly copper plated bullets over lead.  Some of the brass case finishing steps, (wash-dry-tumble-polish) are skipped.  

Doing all the steps makes cheaply made crap ammo look nice.  Not doing it gives you what you got there.  Funny looking but perfectly functional.

There is nothing wrong with it, other than cosmetically.  

The real problem is that in guns like Smiths with sharp rifling, the plating comes off in gobs and sprays the hell out of your target. Or bystanders.

Its why the boxes say, Not For Law Enforcement Use.

Lawman and the Gold Dot series use thicker plating to avoid that.  Something like 0.001” or 0.002” rather than 0.007” or some such numbers.  The Lawman and Gold Dot don’t shred.

Federal uses the same bullets, IF, they run outta FMJ.

They all package the plated stuff in boxes saying, FMJ.  It isn’t.  Its plated.  Like Berry’s junk.
View Quote

Berrys junk?  Everyone I know who competes uses plated bullets and never has any of the issues you describe.  I’m talking tens of thousands of rounds a year.  My competition Glock shoots almost nothing but plated bullets.  

Regardless, plated bullets have zero impact on case tarnish.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Berrys junk?  I shoot thousands of rounds a year through pistols and PCCs of Berrys and have never seen anything like you describe.  This includes suppressed where I would definitely see any shavings in the can.

As already mentioned most of the shooters at  our IDPA use them too.  No one has any issues.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Read the back of the Blazer Brass boxes.  Call their customer service and ask why cops should not use it, especially in the sharply rifled MP9’s.  

Glocks shoot it fine with the smooth bore.

Berry’s:  Didn't say it shreds.  What it did in my G34 was shoot 12-18” groups at 25 yards instead of 3-4” groups like any normal FMJ or normal lubed cast bullet
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Read the back of the Blazer Brass boxes.  Call their customer service and ask why cops should not use it, especially in the sharply rifled MP9’s.  

Glocks shoot it fine with the smooth bore.

Berry’s:  Didn't say it shreds.  What it did in my G34 was shoot 12-18” groups at 25 yards instead of 3-4” groups like any normal FMJ or normal lubed cast bullet
View Quote

What was your load?  The only problem with plated bullets is trying to drive them too fast.  

Is there some site/source of your info, where they have proven these are plated bullets that isn't from 15 years ago?

Edit:  There is no warning about law enforcement on my recently purchased box of blazer brass.  However there is a warning about not using with ported barrels or recoil compensators.  I pulled a bullet and it does appear to be plated and not a thick copper FMJ.

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting.  The 124 9mm Blazer Brass case I bought for a new MP9 2.0 a year ago said not for law enforcement use.

PDs I shoot with stopped buying it when the close targets were blasted with copper shredded off the new MP9s.  It did not say ported or compensators on those cases.

I called CCI Speer Customer Service and they explained, buy Lawman 9mm for cop guns.

Called Federal about AmEagle 9mm. Usually FMJ, but sometimes plated in 9mm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top