Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2018 10:50:50 AM EDT
So I just bought a Springfield Loaded model.  When I get it I want to convert it from the full length guide rod to the traditional GI style.  What parts will I need to replace?
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The guide rod and the bushing plug.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Not the bushing.
Recoil spring guide and spring plug.

Not sure why the links aren't working, but...
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Recoil-Spring-Guide-Blue/productinfo/R8/
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Recoil-Spring-Plug-Ringed-Cap-Bullet-Proof-Blue/productinfo/566B/
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The ed Brown guide rod and plug from brownells work well with the Springfield.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The Springfield two piece full length guide rod is lame to take apart.
And it unscrews half the time on it's own while you're shooting.
The "free" solution:

1) Permanently screw it together with some red locktite or rockset
2) chuck it up in a lathe and take some length off it until it sits about .005"-.020" shorter than the face of the slide while in battery.
3) Add a little chamfer, maybe .030-050" and polish th ewhole thing well so it functions smoothly.
4) Knock the sharp lip of the hollow spring plug off with some emery cloth on a flat surface and then some scotchbrite.

Now you can assemble/disassemble the gun without tools just as simply as a GI guide rod but still retain all the benefits (imaginary or otherwise) of a regular 1 piece FLGR. My Springfield Loaded, Les Bear 5" Monolith and Les Baer Stinger (little 4.25" officer) all sport full length guide rods.  Personally I love FLGR because I can't stand the sproinginess of an uncaptured spring. And it looks cool. Gotta look cool.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Springfield two piece full length guide rod is lame to take apart.
And it unscrews half the time on it's own while you're shooting.
The "free" solution:

1) Permanently screw it together with some red locktite or rockset
2) chuck it up in a lathe and take some length off it until it sits about .005"-.020" shorter than the face of the slide while in battery.
3) Add a little chamfer, maybe .030-050" and polish th ewhole thing well so it functions smoothly.
4) Knock the sharp lip of the hollow spring plug off with some emery cloth on a flat surface and then some scotchbrite.

Now you can assemble/disassemble the gun without tools just as simply as a GI guide rod but still retain all the benefits (imaginary or otherwise) of a regular 1 piece FLGR. My Springfield Loaded, Les Bear 5" Monolith and Les Baer Stinger (little 4.25" officer) all sport full length guide rods.  Personally I love FLGR because I can't stand the sproinginess of an uncaptured spring. And it looks cool. Gotta look cool.
View Quote
I converted my loaded model to gi style. It unscrewed its self in every stage during a class I took with it. Total pos!
My RIA came with a full length one piece guide rod though and it hasn't been any problem at all. Not that it really does anything better than a GI setup.
I can't believe Springfield is still using that setup.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I converted my loaded model to gi style. It unscrewed its self in every stage during a class I took with it. Total pos!
My RIA came with a full length one piece guide rod though and it hasn't been any problem at all. Not that it really does anything better than a GI setup.
I can't believe Springfield is still using that setup.
View Quote
Yeah I've heard horror stories but it's not why I want to change it.  I just don't like the look of the FLGR, I just prefer the GI style.  My one and only other 1911 is a Loaded Operator model so it came in the GI style.  I just wasn't sure which parts needed replacing on the new Loaded i just bought but I got my answer
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#7]
My SA TRP came with the 2 piece and I swapped in the Wilson Combat Bulletproof GI rod and plug stainless.  it looks so much better now with the WC plug.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It unscrewed its self in every stage during a class I took with it. Total pos!
View Quote
You have to thoroughly degrease the threads (male and female) and then tighten it down well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You have to thoroughly degrease the threads (male and female) and then tighten it down well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah...... Still easier to just use the gi style with no tools and no problem.
These threads come up quite frequently and yet Springfield still uses that system.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
These threads come up quite frequently and yet Springfield still uses that system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
People must still be buying them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually just did this with an older loaded model I bought used.  When I pulled the FLGR out and screwed it together on the table top, the two shoulders didn't mate up and it threw the front portion of the guide rod out of alignment about 5 degrees.  (Basically made it look bent).  Made the slide cycle really gritty too.

Anyways, called Springfield and got:
GI guide rod
new recoil spring
plug

For $22 shipped from them.

Ended up adding some spring noise to cycling but the overall function is much smoother without the FLGR pushing awkwardly on the slide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top