Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2022 6:31:17 PM EDT
I know body type and clothing can dictate this, but what have you that carry an OWB mag pouch found to be the best?

I am probably going to order a JM Custom OWB 2 soon, and I would like a pouch or two as well. This will be for the range, carrying around the house/woods and possibly concealing in town on occasion.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The only thing I'll use is the old style Raven/Bravo style pouches with OWB wings. Shadow Holsters makes a great copy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Tulster OWB for my G43x and matching Echo mag pouch (I've added a kydex loop to hold a ThruNite Archer), and a nylon fishing shirt as a cover up
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Versa carry has some water buffalo mag pouches that are over the top quality and prices that at times unbelievable in these times.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.blueforcegear.com/double-pistol-belt-pouch.html

Most concealable.  Great retention.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:57:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.blueforcegear.com/double-pistol-belt-pouch.html

Most concealable.  Great retention.
View Quote

I wouldn't say it's the most concealable, a pancake style is a bit more concealable, but it's a good pouch.  I liked the idea of being able to use it for different magazines so I picked one up last year before Christmas to try out and I've been using it almost constantly since.  My biggest gripe, and it's related more to the Shield magazine design and the fact there is no real spacing between the two openings, is that when using the eight round magazines with a spacer you have to stage them, i.e. I put the rear mag in first then put the front one in so that the spacer is resting on top of the rear mag.  Not that a big deal when changing mags since I'm going to grab the front one first, but it does bring me to the second quibble, you can't easily stick the mag you just removed back in the pouch quickly and easily since it's elastic.  It kind of messed with how I've been practicing my "administrative reload" for decades now since I was used to leather mag pouches that were easy to stick the mag back in but I've taken to dropping the empty/removed mag in my pocket now.  If I'm going back to that first mag for whatever is left in it I'm probably in a world of trouble and it's not going to make that much of a difference.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:31:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:27:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say it's the most concealable, a pancake style is a bit more concealable, but it's a good pouch.  I liked the idea of being able to use it for different magazines so I picked one up last year before Christmas to try out and I've been using it almost constantly since.  My biggest gripe, and it's related more to the Shield magazine design and the fact there is no real spacing between the two openings, is that when using the eight round magazines with a spacer you have to stage them, i.e. I put the rear mag in first then put the front one in so that the spacer is resting on top of the rear mag.  Not that a big deal when changing mags since I'm going to grab the front one first, but it does bring me to the second quibble, you can't easily stick the mag you just removed back in the pouch quickly and easily since it's elastic.  It kind of messed with how I've been practicing my "administrative reload" for decades now since I was used to leather mag pouches that were easy to stick the mag back in but I've taken to dropping the empty/removed mag in my pocket now.  If I'm going back to that first mag for whatever is left in it I'm probably in a world of trouble and it's not going to make that much of a difference.
View Quote

It is though, there's really nothing thinner out there.

Simple technique to get a mag in, start the opening with a finger, over the rounds in the mag, easy with practice.

Me, I NEVER put an empty, or even a partial, in a pouch.  Ever.  Those go in a pocket (or a dump pouch, but we're talking concealment gear).  But that's what I do, you do you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Simple technique to get a mag in, start the opening with a finger, over the rounds in the mag, easy with practice.

Me, I NEVER put an empty, or even a partial, in a pouch.  Ever.  Those go in a pocket (or a dump pouch, but we're talking concealment gear).  But that's what I do, you do you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to see a version made with belt loops on the ends, like a pancake style- maybe a leather back with an elastic front panel?  True, it's not going to be any flatter but it would have a smoother transition/profile.  Just personal preference.  

As for sticking mags back in the pouches, it's just a holdover from earlier training.  From the IPSC days of ejecting the mag and letting it fall to the ground to IDPA and retaining the mag, other training classes, practicing in different pants, etc.  Not ideal and requires a slightly different technique and generally not taught that way anymore, but when I carry my phone it's in my left pocket so I hadn't bothered to change up.  Cargo pants help but I don't always wear them and I don't normally wear a dump pouch, although I have to admit the Blue Force gear micro dump is pretty cool but I can't see any real everyday use for it. https://www.blueforcegear.com/dump-belt-pouch  I use a waxed cotton dump pouch in the woods (foraging) and a regular one (a Maxpedition) on my pistol belt.  As you said, different strokes, just practice with whatever you use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top