Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Post a pic of the case under the extractor.  There will be some space between the extractor hook and "extraction surface" of the rim, when the case is flat against the breechface.   However, the extractor hook should not be long enough to contact the case bevel, which would tend to push the extractor back out of place.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Post a pic of the case under the extractor.  There will be some space between the extractor hook and "extraction surface" of the rim, when the case is flat against the breechface.   However, the extractor hook should not be long enough to contact the case bevel, which would tend to push the extractor back out of place.
View Quote

Yeah, I think this is still messed up.  I don't know how it can be corrected except to find a different extractor.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you get a shot with the case pressed to the breechface?   Though the hook-to-breechface clearance does look excessive, it may still work if the hook is reshaped a bit.  The hook should be off the forward edge of the rim somewhat in a properly dimensioned setup anyway.   I like to see about .075" clearance between hook and breechface;  once it gets to be over .090", extraction can become problematic.

Also, I believe someone (EGW maybe) makes an extractor without a FP stop slot, which allows you to cut your own slot at the proper location.  So that's a possible solution as well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Great input Ken.

Just a quick addition - Rick N had always told me the Combatmaster was very particular about the shape and tension of the extractor (among other things).

I could pull one he tuned for me apart and try to provide some measurements.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe it's not ready to shoot just yet.  I can't push the case square to the breech face.

It would have to go out if the extractor needs to be cut, I don't have that capability here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#6]
It looks as if you could take some metal off the outside bevel of the hook in order to provide clearance.   Without having it right in front of me, it might or might not give you enough clearance to let the case rest against the breechface.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a couple of them, Good score !  They also  make excellent BBQ guns

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a couple of them, Good score !  They also  make excellent BBQ guns
View Quote
Very nice!  Who's the engraver?

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#10]

I engraved it myself. I have an addiction to scratching guns up
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, somehow I never noticed this.  Someone on the S&W Forum spotted it.

There's a cut-out along the top of the extractor channel there at the rear of the slide.

Any 1911 experts know why?  Other Combat Masters have this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wow, somehow I never noticed this.  Someone on the S&W Forum spotted it.

There's a cut-out along the top of the extractor channel there at the rear of the slide.

Any 1911 experts know why?  Other Combat Masters have this?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/CMRear_png-1732747.JPG
View Quote
Mine does not.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice "scratch" work.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The thinned top strap relieved  for thumb cocking might have made the slide to thin to contain the firing pin stop.   I sadlyI don’t have pictures of my old CM.   It’s possible the slide broke and the piece was lost.  I noticed the unusual hollow on the top of the slide over the extractor.   I wonder if the pistol was dropped and damaged.  The original parts might have been lost and might explain why your pistol had the poor fitting firing pin stop.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The thinned top strap relieved  for thumb cocking might have made the slide to thin to contain the firing pin stop.   I sadly don’t have pictures of my old CM.   It’s possible the slide broke and the piece was lost.  I noticed the unusual hollow on the top of the slide over the extractor.   I wonder if the pistol was dropped and damaged.  The original parts might have been lost and might explain why your pistol had the poor fitting firing pin stop.
View Quote

I'm flummoxed.  It was definitely machined that way, so not a chunk broke out.  

Few pictures on the internets of the CM are from the front or rear, almost all of them are from the sides.

EDIT to add: I just scrolled through ALL the Combat Master pics on Bing and think the mystery may be solved.  Very few pictures show this area.

Given this bit of metal is thinner due to the slide scallop, I'm thinking they were prone to failure in that spot.  

I found a sale ad on Guns International and that gun had a piece broken out in that spot.  No, they're not the same gun but the serial numbers are only about 2K units apart.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm flummoxed.  It was definitely machined that way, so not a chunk broke out.  

Few pictures on the internets of the CM are from the front or rear, almost all of them are from the sides.

EDIT to add: I just scrolled through ALL the Combat Master pics on Bing and think the mystery may be solved.  Very few pictures show this area.

Given this bit of metal is thinner due to the slide scallop, I'm thinking they were prone to failure in that spot.  

I found a sale ad on Guns International and that gun had a piece broken out in that spot.  No, they're not the same gun but the serial numbers are only about 2K units apart.

View Quote
Perhaps someone just machined away the area where yours was broken off.  I'm not a welder, but would assume that's easier than welding the slide up and re-contouring the entire corner area.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Got back out to shoot the gun with all new springs, extractor, and firing pin retainer.

First mag ejected like a 1911 is supposed to.... sorta.  The last round in the mag wants to stay inside.  Added a little more tension to the extractor and that seemed to help some.

Firing without the mag in the gun told me things are still not right.  It isn't ejecting without a round in the mag to assist.  If the mag is out of the gun the empties fall out the mag well.

Might be time to call an expert.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#18]
@Mainsail

Make any progress with the pistol?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@Mainsail

Make any progress with the pistol?
View Quote
I need to discuss some of the problems with a local guy that is knowledgeable with the Combat Master, then I will likely begin shopping for an expert that can get it running right.

Ammo and time are too hard to come by to make an adjustment, drive an hour to shoot it, drive back an hour, make another adjustment....

It's not far off, but something still isn't right and I've reached the end of my abilities for it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I had full auto slam fire problems with mine from the get go.  Took it to a few different local gunsmiths.  Paid for a few "actions jobs" over the years; all to no avail.

Someone along the way told me about Don Williams.  Turned out the magazine (any magazine) was pushing on the disconnector.  Also learned, from Don, that it was a known condition in 1911's.  I won't pass along his thoughts on the other "1911 experts" that had worked on the gun when I related my history with the pistol to him.

So in the end, it was not a Detonics problem.  Just an obscure 1911 problem.

At any rate, this is the last contact data I have for him; if your so inclined.

Don Williams, The Action Works
3030 Center Street West
Chino Valley, AZ 86323
[email protected]

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Got back out to shoot the gun with all new springs, extractor, and firing pin retainer.

First mag ejected like a 1911 is supposed to.... sorta.  The last round in the mag wants to stay inside.  Added a little more tension to the extractor and that seemed to help some.

Firing without the mag in the gun told me things are still not right.  It isn't ejecting without a round in the mag to assist.  If the mag is out of the gun the empties fall out the mag well.

Might be time to call an expert.

View Quote

That's pretty typical/classic of a badly fit extractor/badly tensioned extractor..check the sticky on 1911forum in the gunsmithing section about fitting an extractor. There's a bunch that has to be done with it to make it "perfect".

If you haven't checked already, strip the gun, strip the slide then put back in just the extractor and firing pin stop; slide a live round (or a weighted dummy) under the extractor and up against the breechface (as if it were just fired; it'd be plumb flat against the breechface) and then wobble/wave the slide around a bit. The round should not just fall out; it should require a bit of waving/wobbling the slide to get the round to slip out from under the extractor, to fall out of the gun. There's the whole deflection/tension thing to set, but for a really rough guideline...that'll tell you if your extractor has enough tension to at least hold the extracted case until it makes contact with the ejector.

You can check that at home, no rangetime needed. Once that's all set up and seems satisfactory...then give the range another try.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's pretty typical/classic of a badly fit extractor/badly tensioned extractor..check the sticky on 1911forum in the gunsmithing section about fitting an extractor. There's a bunch that has to be done with it to make it "perfect".

If you haven't checked already, strip the gun, strip the slide then put back in just the extractor and firing pin stop; slide a live round (or a weighted dummy) under the extractor and up against the breechface (as if it were just fired; it'd be plumb flat against the breechface) and then wobble/wave the slide around a bit. The round should not just fall out; it should require a bit of waving/wobbling the slide to get the round to slip out from under the extractor, to fall out of the gun. There's the whole deflection/tension thing to set, but for a really rough guideline...that'll tell you if your extractor has enough tension to at least hold the extracted case until it makes contact with the ejector.

You can check that at home, no rangetime needed. Once that's all set up and seems satisfactory...then give the range another try.
View Quote
I've watched all the videos and read a bunch on tensioning the extractor but I think the hook is not where it should be on this one.  See the pic below- that's a lot of gap.  I don't think I can adjust that much gap out.

I have another extractor coming from Wilson so I'll see how it fits and if it gets the case head closer to the breech face.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#23]
When you press the cartridge flat against the breechface, there is going to be a gap. The top of the hook does not (and probably should not) contact the rim. The main thing is making sure the top of the extractor does not touch the case, anywhere, including the hook. If it touches the case bevel and pushes the extractor out and away from the case, that's a problem...and the top of the extractor hook should be dressed down to prevent that from happening in that case.

The only part of the extractor that should be touching a 45ACP case, is the flat between the front of the hook and the rear of the hook. That's it. It should be holding it (or pushing it) tightly against the other side of the slide.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I've seen smiths weld up or solder a shim in the FPS slot on the extractor and recut to bring the hook closer to the breechface.   EGW also sells an extractor with no slot cut, allowing a custom hook-to-breechface distance.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top