Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/23/2020 10:12:04 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I was trolling some of the state auctions and found this property room auction happening down in Texas.  There were at least 30 guns, all looking pretty bad.  The listings all said they were stored in a non climate controlled area.  Many of the rifles had some bad surface rust on the barrels, the internals were a complete unknown.

Of the handguns I wanted to bid on, there was a S&W model 19 and 66 among others.  There was an old Dan Wesson 15 that could probably be refurbished.  There was a FireStar I considered (sold under $100) and something I never heard of, a 10mm MegaStar.  

But this was the one I wanted; the Detonics Combat Master from Seattle.  I'm very excited to have won it at $300.  It'll probably take a couple weeks to ship it in, but man I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Looks like one magazine, and since it's stainless I'm hoping it will only need a deep cleaning to be functional.

If I need to send it out, what are some good 1911 tuners that could do the work?
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck.  Hell of a pistola.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, since Rick Niemer passed away I don't know.  In theory, anyone competent, conscientious, and honest - in practice, well who knows.

If it needs much the problem will be getting the specialized parts (barrel, recoil springs, guide rod + retainer).

If it hasn't been molested odds are extremely good you can just clean it up.  Think I saw someone on Gunbroker offering original recoil springs.  Wolf used to sell a replacement recoil spring that was passable.

These guns have fairly stout springs, cycle quickly, and tend to work best with reasonably peppy loads.  Poor magazine springs will cause a lot of trouble so keep that in mind.

If it seems to have trouble see if it will run with 185gr Silvertips and some lube.

Great buy.  If it's a mess let me know and I'll take it off your hands.

ETA:

You have serial number -very- close to one of mine  
Caspian made that frame.

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats OP!
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 6:42:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Good score!
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:If I need to send it out, what are some good 1911 tuners that could do the work?
View Quote
Here's a list in no particular order of guys with whom I have personal experience and I can recommend without reservation:

Steve Owens https://www.integrityarmscustoms.com/

Dustin Housel https://hs-custom.com/

Jim Milks http://www.innovativecustomguns.com/

Greg Derr https://www.derrprecision.com/

George Piper http://www.pipercustom.com/contact.htm

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all!

It's one of the 'always wanted' guns on my very short list.  

My goal is to get it back to as close to original condition as possible, without doing a complete resto.  The little bit of rail I can see in the pictures looks pretty good, and I don't see any sign that there was any customization.  There's a hint of idiot scratch.  Looks like a lot of tape residue which should clean off easily.

Unless the PO kept it very well lubed, I worry about the small springs being rusty and bound up.  

All speculation until I get it in hand I guess, but still tickled it's mine.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]
As an aside, I'm kicking myself for not researching the MegaStar and bidding on it.  Seems like it was a very cool gun.

http://star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/megastar/index.shtml
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I would assume a gun of that style probably doesn't have a high round count. Probably carried a lot, shot a little and dropped once. (Because it's from a police auction).

BTW, great buy and awesome piece of history.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the original short spur hammer has been replaced with a Colt Commander style hammer on the OP’s Detonics.  I used the Pachmayr Grips on my Combat Master.  I carried one a lot in the late 70’s and early 80’s.  I sold it to another Officer when I changed departments and couldn’t carry SAO pistol.   My Combat Master was as accurate as my Colt Series 70 Gold Cup National Match.   The magazines hold six rounds and when loaded to capacity a small tab (follower) extends down from the base of the mag.   I carried seven round Satin Nickel Colt mags for spares.   The Detonics CM are heavy for their size but easy to shoot.  I carried CCI 200 grain JHP (flying ash tray) in my Detonics CM and dispatched several injured deer with it.

The only part I’d be concerned about was the captured recoil spring assembly which had three captured coil springs.  The Detonics CM was easy to disassemble and very reliable with good ammunition.    The sales of the Combat Master prompted Colt to offer the Officer’s model.  The only other small 45 ACP pistol on the market around that time were the Star PD, Safari Arms (Enforcer) or custom manufactured pistols using cut down 1911 slides and frames.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/detonics/combat-master
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the original short spur hammer has been replaced with a Colt Commander style hammer on the OP’s Detonics.
View Quote

How on earth did I miss that?!

I think I saw one on Numerich so I'll order it with the magazines.

I'm wondering about the trigger now too; the one on mine looks like it might be smooth and not grooved.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How on earth did I miss that?!

I think I saw one on Numerich so I'll order it with the magazines.

I'm wondering about the trigger now too; the one on mine looks like it might be smooth and not grooved.
View Quote

You will definitely want to replace that hammer.  I tried a couple different "loop style" ones on mine over the years I've owned it, and went back to the stock one.  All the others bit my hand.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
A detail strip and a light bead blast and you have a gun that will look new and be worth $1000 to $1200
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Excellent score OP. Wish I would have known about that auction. I could use another 10mm Megastar,

Do you have a link to the auction site?
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Excellent score OP. Wish I would have known about that auction. I could use another 10mm Megastar,

Do you have a link to the auction site?
View Quote

https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/browse/allcat

Firearms sales are relatively recent, and don't seem to happen often.  Those are in the right column all the way at the bottom.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#15]
OP if you can’t find a Detonics short spur hammer I think a series 70 style Stainless Steel spur hammer could be trimmed and fitted to the Combat Master.   I had many different people shoot my Combat Master and no one ever got hammer bite.   Other than the shorten hammer strut which goes to the main spring and the Detonics grip safety plug are about the only unique parts on the Detonics CM frame.

Another unique feature of the Detonics CM are the sights.  The front sight is blocky and easy to pickup in very low light.   If using the Harries flash light technique the Detonics Combat Master could be shot very effectively in low light.   I never felt the Combat Master was difficult to shoot but it was heavy.   I actually carried it in an ankle holster at times in uniform as a BUG.   The flat area between the rear sight and the hammer spur was to facilitate thumb cocking the spur hammer.   I always carried cocked and locked condition 1 or condition 3 (empty chamber full mag).

Link Posted: 10/26/2020 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome score! Ive had a couple over the years. as far as the hammer goes- if the one that is installed functions correctly, you could always modify it by cutting out the bottom portion of the 'loop', imitating how the early models looked.

like this
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#17]
None of those guns were made in Seattle. Detonics was always in Bellevue.  The Marketing dorks thought the guns would sell better marked Seattle. ATF didn’t go for it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP if you can’t find a Detonics short spur hammer ...
View Quote
I think I snagged the last one at Numrich.

Attachment Attached File

ebay has suddenly generated several Combat Master magazines, for the low low price of only $135 each.

Numrich has them a bit cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#19]
The Numrich magazines are blue/black steel repros last I knew.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Great score OP.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m using the slight modified frame from a combat master for a project gun, and they are neat pistols. I have a question for the guys that have them, that would require calipers

I need the length of the hammer strut and I need lengths of the mainspring and the mainspring plugs

I would greatly appreciate help on this.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#22]
The main spring housing is standard 1911 and my Combat Master had a Pachmayr rubber covered main spring housing.   I never checked my spring but assume it was the same weight as a standard 1911 main spring.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The main spring housing is standard 1911 and my Combat Master had a Pachmayr rubber covered main spring housing.   I never checked my spring but assume it was the same weight as a standard 1911 main spring.
View Quote

The mainspring might be the same compression ratio, but they aren’t the same length
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I remember seeing where some people changed out the flat CM main spring housing for an arched main spring housing on the Combat Master.   With the short spur hammer and shorter hammer strut it could use a lighter main spring.    I used to have pictures of my Combat Commander next to my Combat Master and to my recollection the biggest difference in length of the grip was due to removing the grip safety and using the filler plug.   It was over 30 years ago I sold my Combat Master and Combat Commander so there is a very good chance my memory is inaccurate.

Either way the Detonics Combat Master was a unique firearm and I regret having to sell mine.

Link Posted: 11/4/2020 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#25]
On the truck, out for delivery to the FFL.

EDIT to add: My gun dealer friend says it looks great and appears to function normally.  

I'll drop by there tonight to start the paperwork and get the asinine waiting-period clock started.

I'll snap a few pictures when I do.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:01:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Stopped by the FFL and got the paperworks going.

Took a few pics that I don't feel like processing right now, but I did these two.

In the first pic I noticed something; looks like the rear sight is in backwards?  Not sure, found a pic of another one with the same orientation.  

Attachment Attached File

Just a look down the business end:

Attachment Attached File

Everything appears to be functional, just needs a good cleaning and that hammer replaced.  The FFL said it bit him when he cycled the slide.  

Cocking the hammer you can hear the grit.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Out of curiosity, I looked at the sight orientation on mine.  Although this is an "adjustable" version, the orientation is the same.  Sorry about the poor focus.  Quick phone pix.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 1:05:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, I looked at the sight orientation on mine.  Although this is an "adjustable" version, the orientation is the same.  Sorry about the poor focus.  Quick phone pix.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/468791/IMG_0784_jpg-1672599.JPG
View Quote

Thanks for checking that.

The magazines, hammer, and grips I ordered from Numrich came in.  The mags appear to be factory, at least they're stamped Detonics on the base plate.  I ordered the other three they had in stock, so wiped those out.  The hammer looks new.  The grip panels are new.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#29]
You get your new parts installed with your Combat Master all cleaned up post pictures.   I’m pretty sure my CM rear sight had the retention screw on the muzzle side just like your pictures.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Why did the shorten the sight radius?
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

They didn't.

The guy that designed it wasn't a C&L fan, he preferred hammer down on a loaded chamber for carry.  This meant cocking the hammer during the draw, so the slide was relieved at the rear to facilitate that.  The rear sight still had to go somewhere though, so ended up there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Well the State's pointless waiting period finished yesterday, so I picked it up last night after work.

Tonight I detail stripped it.  This was one dirty gun, and not from the storage.  It doesn't look like the previous owner cleaned it much.

You can see the crud and some corrosion on the parts.  Everything got soaked in brake cleaner, scrubbed with a nylon brush, and the stubborn stuff got scrubbed with a brass brush.  After blowing everything dry it all got lightly oiled and the slide rails greased.  Gun is smooth and slick now.

The finish could use more work, it still has that stainless haze, but the tape residue is gone.  It's going to be a working gun so not sure if I'll do too much more.

I did install the new hammer- fit was great and no more pinching.

The only snag was the left upper grip screw- the bushing came out instead of the screw.  That meant I couldn't put the wood grips on.  I have some NOS Pachmeyers inbound as well.  I put the bushing back with blue locktite on the threads (all I have in the house) and hoping that once it sets up it'll let go of the grip screw.

It cycles dummy rounds 100% and the trigger is very nice.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#33]
It looks good.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Looks pretty respectable.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Congrats.

It's an iconic piece of 1911 history.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Sure reminds me of my Combat Master, I put Pachmayr grips on mine.   I’ll be surprised if your not impressed after shooting it as most were very accurate.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Obviously, the Locktite worked and held the bushing so I was able to get the grip screw out.

Notice the magazine not fully seated.  EDIT to add: The mag is fully seated but the fit isn't flush, that's what I mean.  That's one of the Triple-K aftermarket mags- marked Detonics 45 Auto.  The stock magazines are marked Detonics .45 A.C.P.

I have a set of NOS Pachs inbound, but the wood ones look nice too.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I can't remember for sure but I may have had only one or two Detonics mags and used seven round Colt nickel mags for spares.   The Colt mags were reliable in my CM and I got them originally for my satin nickel Combat Commander.   Looking forward to hearing how you do on your first range trip with your CM.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I can't remember for sure but I may have had only one or two Detonics mags and used seven round Colt nickel mags for spares.   The Colt mags were reliable in my CM and I got them originally for my satin nickel Combat Commander.   Looking forward to hearing how you do on your first range trip with your CM.
View Quote

No range report!  We drove an hour and just after leaving the pavement going in to the Olympic National Forest I heard a bell and the little oil can light on the dash came on, then went out.  Checked it and it was low (due oil change in 300 miles) so added enough to get it into the good zone, but the light kept coming on intermittently.  We turned around and headed home, about 70%-30% in favor of it being the sending unit.  A few miles later the CEL came on, which tells me it's likely a sensor gone bad.  

Got home and put the code reader on it; P0520 ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT.  Fired up the M1009 and drove to the dealership for the part.  Will install it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Life has a way of changing plans.   I hope the oil sensor sending unit fixes your problem.   It never fails, lol.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Today was either fix the jeep or drive the M1009 to the mountains to shoot the gun. Decided to drive to the mountains. On my way home, about half way home, the truck bucked once...    About ten miles later it bucked a couple more times and died. I pulled off, popped the hood, and seeing nothing amiss I tried to start. Fired right up, so I set off towards home again. I got about five more miles and it died.

I managed to coast down the big hill to the Hood Canal Bridge at idle and it died on the bridge a few hundred yards across. Repeat that six or seven more times and I was on my side of the bridge and it died. I was able to restart but the road ahead had no shoulder and it wasn't running for more than a minute or so before quitting, so I called it.

First time in my life I've ever had to call a tow truck. I was still $200 away from the driveway so that hurt, but there's nobody close that can come tow-strap me home- and braking with the motor off is scary anyway.

The Combat Master shoot wasn't as good as I'd hoped either.  I was getting regular failures to extract, and the brass has extractor marks.  I'm leaning towards a timing issue?  All the Triple-K mags worked fine, as did the stock mag, but most weren't holding the slide open after the last round, and sometimes the slide would lock back with one round still in the mag.  The best performing mags were the Wilson 47s.  All in all I fired 50 rounds of hardball and a handful of HSTs and the gun ate them equally well.  

At this point I'm not sure if I want to troubleshoot the gun or find an expert.

EDIT to add: I forgot to mention the accuracy.  The gun was shooting (such as it was) one ragged hole patterns at about 18'.  Brass throw was somewhat erratic and I only found about ¾ of the box of empties.  One was 22' back and to the right, but most were about five feet behind and five feet right.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They didn't.

The guy that designed it wasn't a C&L fan, he preferred hammer down on a loaded chamber for carry.  This meant cocking the hammer during the draw, so the slide was relieved at the rear to facilitate that.  The rear sight still had to go somewhere though, so ended up there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't.

Wondering this myself.

U can Learn something new everyday.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 11:42:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I wonder if the extractor needs adjusted.   You’ll get malfunctions like you describe if the extractor isn’t adjusted properly.   My CM functioned 100% with any ammo I stuffed in it.   There are videos on tuning 1911 extractors.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I wonder if the extractor needs adjusted.   You’ll get malfunctions like you describe if the extractor isn’t adjusted properly.   My CM functioned 100% with any ammo I stuffed in it.   There are videos on tuning 1911 extractors.
View Quote

I think the heart of the problems are the extractor and firing pin retainer.  I did the extractor tension test and at first it held the case beautifully.  But that was with the rear of extractor flush with the slide, which it turns out is only one of its many positions.

The range is slightly proud of the slide to inset substantially, as shown in the photos below.  The firing pin retainer is very loose, so I think that's where most of the problem lies.  I will end up replacing both of them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

EDIT to add: After church I pulled the extractor and firing pin retainer out of my Springfield 1991 Defender (70s series) and tried them in the Combat Master. The fit was much better with the Springfield parts and the extractor had no detectable movement.

Adding a couple pics too. The Detonics parts (top) next to the Springfield parts. The Detonics firing pin spring is toast, and it's an integral part of the operation due to the short slide. The extractor has a wider groove at the rear, and the claw isn't as beefy.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#45]
That's an aftermarket extractor.

And I've never seen a retainer that poorly fitted on an original gun.
- ETA: son of a gun I just found one of mine that has almost that much gap on that same side, but it is one of the very last Bellevue guns made.

If you replace the retainer you will want to carefully match the profile of the bottom to match a factory part.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:And I've never seen a retainer that poorly fitted on an original gun.
- ETA: son of a gun I just found one of mine that has almost that much gap on that same side, but it is one of the very last Bellevue guns made.

If you replace the retainer you will want to carefully match the profile of the bottom to match a factory part.
View Quote

lol well that makes me feel a little better anyway.  

I ordered a new extractor, firing pin retainer, and a couple firing pin springs from 1911parts.com.  They have a Bomar cut retainer that looks shorter than the stock ones, so it will probably still need filing just not as much.... I hope...

The top is shorter, but what part of the bottom of the retainer is different?
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I ordered a new extractor, firing pin retainer, and a couple firing pin springs from 1911parts.com.  They have a Bomar cut retainer that looks shorter than the stock ones, so it will probably still need filing just not as much.... I hope...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:And I've never seen a retainer that poorly fitted on an original gun.

Probably the angle of the trailing edge, the surface which cocks the hammer.   Having it excessively beveled can lead to inertia feeds in subcompact 1911s.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Very cool find OP!  There was a post world war III book series I read in the 80's and the main character carried two Combat Master's along with a Python and a Colt Lawman and a CAR-15.

I always wanted one but have never stumbled across one in the wild and I'm sure they've moved past my price range now.

I'll be darned, The book series is on Kindle- The Survivalist book 1
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#49]
UPDATE:

I contacted Mark over at Thunder Mountain for some parts. They shipped super fast but the USPS took the small package on a nationwide tour that took almost two weeks longer than it should have.

The firing pin retainer was going to be the biggest problem because it's one of the Detonics unique parts. They sell one that's shorter, for use with a slide cut for Bomar sights and as you can see the fit is pretty close. I had planned to dress off the extra but after I installed it I think I'll leave it as is; there's no way I'm going to get that nice of an edge with a hand file, sander, or grinder.

The extractor was a tight fit, but it's in and all the slop is gone. The issue now is the length (?) of the extractor. Sliding a case under the hook, the rear of the case is not against the breech face, there seems to be a lot of space between. I don't know enough about 1911s to say for sure. Thoughts?

I also bought two new firing pin springs from Thunder Mountain. Both are Wolff springs; the extra power and the extra-extra power. The extra-extra is in now but the other is in the box with the tools to do a field change if I think it needs it.

I put the new recoil spring set in and swapped out the magazine spring with a new one from Wolff.

Hope to get out next weekend to give it a try. The 17th is the last day of work for me until the second week of 2021 as I need to burn off some use-or-lose leave, so I should have plenty of time to shoot the thing.

If I'm still having problems it might be time to call in a Pro. I've reached the edge of my 1911 tuning/reliability knowledge.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#50]
I’d bet with some careful work and small files you could blend that in nicely if you wanted to give it a go. Nice you found the parts you needed
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top