Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 12/1/2018 11:28:00 PM EDT
Anyone know where I can find a 70-series Combat Commander slide? Google-fu shows that Colt doesn't sell just the slide direct. Apparently SAWLE no longer deals with 1911s. Brownells is backordered.

Alternatively, can a 80-series slide be used on a 70-series frame?

Looking for one for a project on my CCO.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I would prefer an actual Colt, but I'll check those two manufacturers.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If you took out the firing pin safety plunger on the 80 it should work. At least in theory. That is the only difference that I have seen between the two.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#4]
If Brownell's has it and lets you backorder, don't be afraid to do that.  I've done that on a few different Colt slides and they all ended up showing up at my door.  The last one I ordered was a stainless series 70 Gov't slide.  The prices seem to be going up on that stuff.  The sooner the better to get it ordered.  The only reason I wouldn't order through Brownell's is if you definitely have to have it within a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#5]
The one's at Brownells have no pictures and generic descriptions. No idea if they're blue or stainless.

This one at Fusion looks GTG if I can't find a Colt. https://www.fusionfirearms.com/1911-slide-commander-gi-45-acp-carbon-sight-cuts-rear-cocking-serrations

I'll put up a WTB in the EE and see if I get any bites.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a part that automatically depresses the firing pin safety that you can install.  I have one lurking in my parts box, but have no idea what it is called.  It replaces the two parts that actuate the firing pin safety and remains in the up position so that as soon as the slide is in battery, the firing pin safety is automatically depressed without use of the trigger.  I don't even know where I came by it, but never bothered to use it.

It is everyone's right to pick what they want in firearms, but would be curious to know why OP wants a series 70 vs series 80, or why it even matters.  I don't find the trigger pull difference between the two to be all that much of a detriment, but that is just me, and like I said, it is OP's right to buy whatever he wants.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Because my frame is a series 70. It's a Colt Gunsite CCO. I'm looking for another slide to do some customization as well as experiment with some new technology.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#8]
That just proves whats I have long believed.  Everyone has a reason for whatever they do.  Usually, if asked, they will tell you what that reason is.   OP's reason makes sense to me (not that what makes sense to me matters anyhow though).
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Another reason, although mostly aesthetic, I don't like the front cocking serrations on the Gunsite slide. Gives me a reason to get something a little different up top, maybe with some engraving and a Royal Blue finish.

I was going to have the slide milled for an RMR, but after looking at the competition class options, I'll just pick up a dedicated gun for that (M&P9L CORE). I still would like to find a Colt Combat Commander slide to dress up my CCO, tho.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome! My EE WTB add allowed me to scoop up a NIB Colt Gunsite CCO slide, complete (no barrel). Perfect match. Plans are to send it of to fill in the front cocking serrations, engraving and a Royal Blue finish.

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top