Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2020 2:10:56 PM EDT
Just thought I'd put this out there for anyone considering a pre-Mk III Colt DA revolver.

THEY DO NOT HAVE TIMING ISSUES.  THEY ARE NOT FRAGILE.  THEY ARE STRONGER THAN S&W'S!!!!

Timing
The "timing issues" that get reported happen because people use the WRONG test to check timing on their Colt revolvers.  Pull the trigger fully to the rear and hold it there.  Now check the lockup.  If the cylinder is locked into place, then timing is just fine.  THERE IS NO OTHER TEST!  If anyone tells you to pull the trigger slowly, or press your thumb on the cylinder to impede rotation, or to draw the hammer back and check...any of those methods are just patently wrong for the Colt DA, and has no place in checking timing of that particular action type.  What's funny is, you never hear of S&W timing issues, yet I've re-timed FAR more N frame S&W's in .38/.357 than I ever have of Colt E/I frame revolvers such as the Trooper or Python.  The extra weight of those N frame cylinders really plays hell with the lockwork when you start working it hard, and the Colt seems more forgiving than the N frame S&W.  Yet, we only hear of Colt timing issues; why is that?

"Fragile"
This is another rumor I kinda don't get.  I think it comes from a combination of the timing thing, and the lack of an ejector rod shroud.  Well, Colt avoided the ejector shroud because US military (and Colt's tests) confirmed that the ejector shroud actually causes more problems than it solves.  When mud is introduced, the ejector rod housing fills up and you can't get the cylinder to close.  Colt avoids that by not adding it.  However, this eventually proved unpopular in Law Enforcement as cops had a tendency to bend their ejector rods over the skull of some perp...Which I think we'll all agree, its probably not the most appropriate use of your equipment.

Strength
So comparing the medium frame revolvers, the Colt I frame to the S&W K frame; the Colt just wins all over the place.  The S&W M19 had issues with split forcing cones, and cracked frames under the ejector/crane (that was a problem in all K frames, not just the magnums).  The lighter frame Colts had the same issue with the frame, but not the I/E frame guns; those are brute strong.  The I/E frame has a larger diameter cylinder than the K frame S&W's, and a larger frame.  Because of this, Colt doesn't have to cut off the bottom of the barrel at the forcing cone just to get the cylinder to close like they do on a S&W K frame, so you can imagine where the K frame forcing cones split; in that very weakened point.  Additionally, Colt offsets their cylinder bolts so they're not located over the thinnest portion of the cylinder, S&W puts them right on the thin part.  Because of the forcing cones and the cylinder bolts, SAAMI had to lower the pressure standards on the .357 cartridge.  The Cold had zero problem with the heavier loads.

So I'm not trying to make a case that Colt is "better" or worse than anyone else...I love my Colt's, but I'm a S&W guy down to my socks.  I just want to lay to rest the absolute BS that gets spread about Colt's DA revolvers.  They are damn good revolvers plain and simple.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as the BS keeps prices down, I'm happy.

I also stayed away from the Trooper MK III's for a long time and even sold the one I had [big mistake]. More research showed me the sintered parts caused no issues whatsoever until some mook gunsmiths started hacking on the parts and cut through the glass hard outer layer and into the softer internal surfaces. Then they wore very quickly, issues arose and people started complaining.

They are EXCELLENT revolvers for the money and stronger by far then S&W of the same time frame using the [approx] same sized frame.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny never see people not knowing how to use a S&W revolver,  I find it hard to believe hickok45 does not know how to use a revovler.  Anyway that new revolver is not worth the money.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny. When I hunt with my revolver I pull the hammer slowly back to make as little noise as possible. It is nice to hear the little click as the bolt lock goes into place before I pull the trigger

Ruger drops in before the hammer is back.  Smith's also do it, especially in new guns. For some reason Colt can't?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Funny never see people not knowing how to use a S&W revolver,  I find it hard to believe hickok45 does not know how to use a revovler.  Anyway that new revolver is not worth the money.
View Quote
So you have one then? Put it thru its paces? Or just repeating what you heard?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Funny. When I hunt with my revolver I pull the hammer slowly back to make as little noise as possible. It is nice to hear the little click as the bolt lock goes into place before I pull the trigger

Ruger drops in before the hammer is back.  Smith's also do it, especially in new guns. For some reason Colt can't?
View Quote
Some Colt's do, and some Colt's don't.  If the "click" gives you solace, then I'd say stay away from pre-Mk III Colts.  But timing is timing whether you hear a click or not.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not getting your point????

You seem to be talking about the new Python, and that's SPECIFICALLY NOT what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about pre-Mk III Colt revolvers.  Mk III revolvers were introduced in 1969, so that's 40 years ago... So not sure how you're connecting dots to the new Python (which again, uses a very different action).
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Reading comprehension problem???

I used to own an anaconda in 45LC, I never said I owned one I stated that Im sure hickok45 knows how to shoot a revolver.  Is it that hard to believe that colt could put out a lemon.  I never drove a yugo either but could figure out they were junk.  They are not worth the price tag in my opinion, my anaconda was a good shooter but no better than a S&W or ruger.  Have you seen his video or are you just a loyal fan boy of colts? The video is on youtube along with some others showing the gun malfunction.  I did read somewhere that some where recalled but don't know if that's true or not but the video from hickok45 looked like failure to me.

Snowman357
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I used to own an anaconda in 45LC, I never said I owned one I stated that Im sure hickok45 knows how to shoot a revolver.  Is it that hard to believe that colt could put out a lemon.  I never drove a yugo either but could figure out they were junk.  They are not worth the price tag in my opinion, my anaconda was a good shooter but no better than a S&W or ruger.  Have you seen his video or are you just a loyal fan boy of colts? The video is on youtube along with some others showing the gun malfunction.  I did read somewhere that some where recalled but don't know if that's true or not but the video from hickok45 looked like failure to me.

Snowman357
View Quote
Seems you're the one with reading comprehension issues, because this thread was NEVER about the new Python...And I'm scratching my head how those particular dots got connected.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Snowman357
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snowman357
Wow. pot calling the kettle black here..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top