Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2018 11:40:09 PM EDT
Trying to decide between these two for my next 1911. I would be adding a mag well and single sided safety to both and changing to 10-8 sights
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with Colt because they get the important things right.  Like ramp angle and depth, and barrel fit even if it is loose.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd go with Colt because they get the important things right.  Like ramp angle and depth, and barrel fit even if it is loose.
View Quote
Personally I’ve found Springfield’s to be better ft than Colts....and they’re series 70 if that matters to you.

Only reason I’d go Colt over Springfield is if I were buying it as a base gun for a custom build, as I like the roll marks better.

Both are good base guns for future work.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:06:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I would go with the springer due to poor fitting on the Colts and series 80 as well as Springfield lifetime warranty vs Colt 1 year
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a Springfield MC Operator and sold it. The guy I sold it to still has it and loves it. To me the MC Operator was ok but, just ok. I have a Springfield WW2 GI, and it's ok. I still like shooting it but like the MC it's just ok. I think the Springfields have a cheap cast feel to them. Having said that both of them, the MC and GI, worked fine. I have a Colt RG and an XSE Commander and both pistols are excellent in almost every way. The XSE  needed a little spring tuning to get the trigger just right but, over all is an excellent pistol. The only complaint I have regarding the RG is the finish on the slide has holster wear on its leading edge. Its has been drawn quite a lot over the past four years but, I think the finish on the MC is more resilient.  Both Colts I have are very well made and have a solid feel to them. So I would go with a Colt RG over the Springfield based on my experiences, unless you can get a great deal on the Springfield.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Your aware that SA INC are forged units.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I traded into my MC Operator and it has been a phenomenal gun. Very accurate and very reliable.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends.  I'd go Springfield in 9mm but Colt in .45.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Your aware that SA INC are forged units.
View Quote
Didn't say they were cast, just that I  my opinion the ones I have handled had a different feel. Having said that I still own and shoot a Springfield, just I just prefer Colts. The best Springfield I shot was a TRP,  there wasn't much not to like about it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Colt will have higher resale value.

I'd put their relative quality at about equal.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had 5 Springfields, including a Custom Carry out of their custom shop.  Springfield rail guns are my favorite aesthetically, and i've never had any significant issues with their guns.  Working in a gun store for a long time I got to see a lot of customer service  experiences first and second hand. Springfield is great.  Others that aren't mentioned in this thread, not so much.

Colt is Colt. Their name is synonymous with the 1911. Aesthetically I don't care for the railgun series, but i'm being nitpicky.  My only gripe with them is the true picatinny rail that increased the size of the dust cover. I believe it makes holster selection different.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've had 5 Springfields, including a Custom Carry out of their custom shop.  Springfield rail guns are my favorite aesthetically, and i've never had any significant issues with their guns.  Working in a gun store for a long time I got to see a lot of customer service  experiences first and second hand. Springfield is great.  Others that aren't mentioned in this thread, not so much.

Colt is Colt. Their name is synonymous with the 1911. Aesthetically I don't care for the railgun series, but i'm being nitpicky.  My only gripe with them is the true picatinny rail that increased the size of the dust cover. I believe it makes holster selection different.
View Quote

I don't like any 1911 with a rail, but I'm a weirdo like that.  All of my other pistols have a rail, but none of my 1911s.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Rail Gun and a Springfield, but it's a Champion Operator and not the model you are considering.

I like them both but I like the Colt better, and not just because it was a gift from my son.

Attachment Attached File

Politics aside I don't think you can wrong with either.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an older colt rail gun with the smaller rail that has had about 5,000 trouble free rounds through it. The only thing I’ve done is replace the grips and the put night sights on it. I’ve had several Springfield’s and have had several parts break. A safety, an extractor, and a hammer that chipped. Springfield has excellent customer service and took care of everything on their dime.  If I had to pick I would go with Colt based on my experience.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ll also add that my Springfield’s were not the model you are considering.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't like any 1911 with a rail, but I'm a weirdo like that.  All of my other pistols have a rail, but none of my 1911s.
View Quote
honestly i get that. I don't universally like railed 1911s. It has to have ball cuts in the slide and a slightly longer dust cover. And i prefer the angle cut to the dust cover that springfield uses. I like the Pro Light Rails' setup the most though.
Past that, traditional 5" government is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:54:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Colt... is always the answer
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the replies guys, I forgot to mention I do own a colt CCU and love it but now I'm  looking for something cheaper that I wouldn't feel bad swapping parts on, more of a beater gun if you will. Plus I have holsters for a standard railed 1911 and don't have a gun for them so I am leaning towards the springfield. I've already got the ccu squared away in the holster department so if I went with the colt rail gun I'd be ok. I actually like the beefed up rail colt did. But I like the price point and feature set of the springfield range officer elite operater. Just wish it had front strap checkering.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
But I like the price point and feature set of the springfield range officer elite operater. Just wish it had front strap checkering.
View Quote
My other 1911 is a TRP and I initially felt the same way about the front strap checkering.  To ease my mind I added a set of VZ Gunner grips (Diamond Backs on the TRP) and bought a sheet of Talon grip material.  Honestly, I don't even miss the front strap checkering and didn't even use the Talon stuff.  I still think the front strap checkering makes the pistol look more classy and high-end, but it's not as necessary as I had imagined.

Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#20]
They are both nice guns.

If one or the other has an extra feature you like, go with that. Years ago I had this dilemma between a Colt rail gun and MC Operator for a build. Ended up picking the Springfield because it already had night sights and was carbon steel, which I wanted over stainless. SACS did the work at the time and would have taken either gun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies guys, I forgot to mention I do own a colt CCU and love it but now I'm  looking for something cheaper that I wouldn't feel bad swapping parts on, more of a beater gun if you will. Plus I have holsters for a standard railed 1911 and don't have a gun for them so I am leaning towards the springfield. I've already got the ccu squared away in the holster department so if I went with the colt rail gun I'd be ok. I actually like the beefed up rail colt did. But I like the price point and feature set of the springfield range officer elite operater. Just wish it had front strap checkering.
View Quote
From this information, I would suggest looking into a new Auto Ordnance 1911. Some of the earlier guns had issues, but the latest ones have been getting good reports. Get a basic one and upgrade it as time and interest dictates.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a few Range Officers and all have been winners, really like the Full Size 9MM, nothing against Colt at all because I have a few of them in the safe as well...just the RO series has really been good to me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:34:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Samuse is right. Colt gets stuff like feed ramps better. They're cut deeper on a Colt than on a Springfield gun, and in my opinion/experience, are fit more correctly.

A member here had a Colt O1991A1 that shot like 1" groups or something crazy at 25m with Black Hills match .45 at 25m right out of the box. Mine did just over that when I first got it.

They're fit right, crazy reliable, series 80 (a positive), and are just great guns.

Warranty doesn't really matter if you end up modifying it heavily, and I would, as with any 1911.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Warranty doesn't really matter if you end up modifying it heavily, and I would, as with any 1911.
View Quote
This.  Make it what you want.  I did.

Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/a665165b-6bcb-4e0f-94fc-3ddf33f164ef_zpssdfwvnk0.jpg
Looks awesome with the normal rail instead of the god-awful full 1913-spec rail they come with now
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Found a used non railed springfield trp for $900, good condition. How many of you have changed out the full length guide rod and replaced it with a gi set up. I was thinking of putting the wilson combat flat wire spring in it, and they sell it with the guide rod, so all I would need is a recoil spring plug.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Found a used non railed springfield trp for $900, good condition. How many of you have changed out the full length guide rod and replaced it with a gi set up. I was thinking of putting the wilson combat flat wire spring in it, and they sell it with the guide rod, so all I would need is a recoil spring plug.
View Quote

I used Ed Brown parts.  Never had an issue with the standard FLGR, just had some money burning a hole in my pocket

Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
i've done it.  Don't let it keep you up at night, though.  If you just want to spend some cash, go for it.

Where da pics??
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Looks awesome with the normal rail instead of the god-awful full 1913-spec rail they come with now
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/a665165b-6bcb-4e0f-94fc-3ddf33f164ef_zpssdfwvnk0.jpg
Thanks!  I am happy with how it turned out, and it is a sweetheart to shoot.  It started life as a plain ol' stainless steel Rail Gun.  I shipped it out for mods a few days after I bought it, having not fired a shot LOL
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I just like the take down of the gi better and don't want to worry about losing a tool I need to take it apart.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Colt rail gun + Streamlight.

Like the Pros use.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just like the take down of the gi better and don't want to worry about losing a tool I need to take it apart.
View Quote
Yeah, I understand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top