Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2020 4:08:32 PM EDT
My father in-law is looking to free up some of his safe and is looking to sell me a nice 6” python. He is dropping it off later today so I can run the serial numbers to see when it was manufactured. He bought it used 20 years ago and has sat in his safe since purchasing it. I know it has very minor holster wear on the barrel tip and cylinder marks. I do not follow the wheel gun market and I don’t want to “steal” it from him and was hoping for some insight from people in the know. I can add pictures later if it’s any help once I get it here. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My father in-law is looking to free up some of his safe and is looking to sell me a nice 6” python. He is dropping it off later today so I can run the serial numbers to see when it was manufactured. He bought it used 20 years ago and has sat in his safe since purchasing it. I know it has very minor holster wear on the barrel tip and cylinder marks. I do not follow the wheel gun market and I don’t want to “steal” it from him and was hoping for some insight from people in the know. I can add pictures later if it’s any help once I get it here. Thanks
View Quote

FWIW - A good condition, blued Python with box and papers is about $2300 in this area. Ones without box and papers, or that have had grips changed, etc., are still over $1800 and up to $2100.

ETA - I don't know if the new release Pythons have diluted values as the local shops have been closed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:36:49 AM EDT
[#2]
In my view new release of python just collapsed value of old python by 50%. Who is going to pay $4000 for an old python when you can get the new model for $1500?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IGotShot:
In my view new release of python just collapsed value of old python by 50%. Who is going to pay $4000 for an old python when you can get the new model for $1500?
View Quote

New to the gun market, are ya?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By IGotShot:
In my view new release of python just collapsed value of old python by 50%. Who is going to pay $4000 for an old python when you can get the new model for $1500?
View Quote

Very VERY few old Pythons commanded $4K and those were one's that were made in small numbers and rarer barrel lengths and in new condition with all paperwork/boxes.

The new one's might bring down the price for standard length used ones without paperwork/boxes with some wear but not anywhere even close to 50%.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

The new one's might bring down the price for standard length used ones without paperwork/boxes with some wear but not anywhere even close to 50%.
View Quote

As an example, look at the key lock S&W revolvers. The pre-lock models often sell for higher prices than the new ones do. The immediate recall on the new Pythons didn't help their rep either.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 1:03:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Personally, I rather acquire the original Colt Python than the new version. They don't make them like they used to. For $1500 you could find a Python in fair and shooter condition if you are patient.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#7]
He is willing to sell it to me north of 1k but I am thinking I’ll give him $1,500. It is in very good shape just no box or papers. I think we will both be happy with that. I have a few pictures on my phone I would post if I knew how.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I paid between 1K and $1200 for both of mine so I'd go more with $1100 to $1200 then $1500.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Sold the one in my avatar back in September of last year for $1900. Condition sounds exactly like what you listed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Just saw 2 on consignment at my LGS for $1,750 each. They both look in great shape but I have no idea how to value condition on collectibles.

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As an example, look at the key lock S&W revolvers. The pre-lock models often sell for higher prices than the new ones do. The immediate recall on the new Pythons didn't help their rep either.
View Quote

That's not really a fair example. Most Pre-lock S&W are actually superior to modern S&W's, its not just about the lock or age.

By all accounts by those who know, the new Pythons are actually superior to the old ones. No, the issues with the first run don't help (even though that seems to be the norm these days for all manufacturers) but it really comes down to why you are buying it?

Are you a collector? Then sure the old ones will probably always hold a premium over the new ones, especially the royal blue models because Colt doesn't have a blued steel version of the new ones and those blued steel pythons are gorgeous but if you are a shooter looking for something you will actually use, I would absolutely get a new one even if they cost the same $.

OP - hard to say without more information but assuming 80-90% condition, no box, etc., I'd say ~$1500-$2000 tops. Closer to $2k if the condition is in the 90% range and has the original wood grips in equal condition. $1500 or less with more wear and plastic and/or non-factory grips.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top