Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 6/23/2019 2:33:13 PM EDT
Hello .

Couple years back I got a blue box colt m45a1 .

Because of personal illness I had to sell it .

The other day I got a brand new m45a1 with the green pelican box .

The green box cost over 400 more then.the blue box .

Also the green box has checkering on the front strap and comes with one Wilson blued 7-round magazine and also comes with the Otis cleaning kit with the green pelican case .

Other than those few differences what makes the green box come worth over $400 more than the blue box I mean is there are significantly more handwork on the green box gun?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The blue box were production line guns ( and actually equal to what was being supplied to the USMC)
While the pelican case ones came from the custom shop with hand fitting. Take your grips off and you should see ccs engraved on the frame.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello .

The green box cost over 400 more then the blue box .

Also the green box has checkering on the front strap and comes with one Wilson blued 7-round magazine and also comes with the Otis cleaning kit with the green pelican case .

Other than those few differences what makes the green box come worth over $400 more than the blue box I mean is there are significantly more handwork on the green box gun?
View Quote
Hope you have recovered?

Americans (particularly historians and kleckturs) haven't had a chance to study new War Colts since the last production was Summer 1945 when no one was kleckting them. We were prepared.

Have consecutive low 4 digit Pelicans, a nice retail sales package AYK with lift-out foam tray and bottom tray foam cut-outs.

Since before public sales began, began amassing photos of some 200 serial numbers including prototypes to research and document details as they emerged.

The most dramatic visual differences outside the packaging labeling of EGA, M45 and CQBP (see below in the next post),

Pelican Colt's tend to have shiny barrels while early production low-rent Blue Box Colts have satin finish barrels;

the inspector stamps are also tend to be different among early versus middle, high 4 digit and later 5 digit production.

These are the Springfield Armory and Colt prototypes submitted for DoD testing; the Colt is merely a modified Rail Gun, the familiar Weaver rail was abandoned in favor of the very first Picatinny put on a sidearm which requires no mount modification for light, laser, etc.

Old article on the Marine CQBP

eta, M45 labeled not M45A1 kreckshun
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The blue box were production line guns ( and actually equal to what was being supplied to the USMC)
While the pelican case ones came from the custom shop with hand fitting. Take your grips off and you should see ccs engraved on the frame.
View Quote
Thank you sir !!

In your option, is the extra 400+ that I spent on the green box  gun worth the premium?

I must confess I do.like the front strap checkering !
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hope you have recovered?

Americans (particularly historians and kleckturs) haven't had a chance to study new War Colts since the last production was Summer 1945 when no one was kleckting them. We were prepared.

Have consecutive low 4 digit Pelicans, a nice retail sales package AYK with lift-out foam tray and bottom tray foam cut-outs.

Since before public sales began, began amassing photos of some 200 serial numbers including prototypes to research and document details as they emerged.

The most dramatic visual differences outside the packaging labeling of EGA, M45A1 and CQBP (see below in the next post),

Pelican Colt's tend to have shiny barrels while early production low-rent Blue Box Colts have satin finish barrels;

the inspector stamps are also tend to be different among early versus middle, high 4 digit and later 5 digit production.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-6dQcR4V/0/cd06acff/X3/i-6dQcR4V-X3.jpg

These are the Springfield Armory and Colt prototypes submitted for DoD testing; the Colt is merely a modified Rail Gun, the familiar Weaver rail was abandoned in favor of the very first Picatinny put on a sidearm which requires no mount modification for light, laser, etc.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Htx3rBN/0/73b059f6/O/i-Htx3rBN.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-f2q44b4/0/c438a7bb/O/i-f2q44b4.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello .

Hope you have recovered?

The most dramatic visual differences outside the packaging labeling of EGA, M45A1 and CQBP (see below in the next post),

Recovery? Lol

The last doctor to look at me was at the world famous Massachusetts General Hospital, he was a graduate of U Mass , and also a teachers at Harvard and MIT medical schools .

His response was there is NO WAY they would operate on me , I will live how I am and that's that .

Any way, I am more then impressed with my new Colt and to be perfectly honest with you the front strap checkering feels a lot better in my hand then my old blue box Colt that I had to sell last year.

What about as far as the hand fitting from the Colt custom shop is it really worth that much more?

I got this gun direct from the distributor at lipsey's I was honestly surprised when I got it then it was quite a bit dirty looks like they put quite a few rounds through it testing it before shipping out it did include a test Target.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
The packaging of the EGA Colt's has so far been observed in 2 varieties shown here

M45 and CQBP

one destined for civilian sales, the other for military

Here is a satin barrel close-up

These are a mix of boxes and cases with the labeling variables observed

Pelican grouping photo. $400 is quite a bit for a case, mag and storage but the civilian pistols have gone through the Custom Shop for "fitment" so... why not!

eta removal duplicate photo
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thank you sir !!

In your option, is the extra 400+ that I spent on the green box  gun worth the premium?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you sir !!

What serial number? None of these have that, only the MSH is serrated. Could it have been added post production?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Recovery? Lol

The last doctor to look at me was at the world famous Massachusetts General Hospital, he was a graduate of U Mass , and also a teachers at Harvard and MIT medical schools .

His response was there is NO WAY they would operate on me , I will live how I am and that's that .

Any way, I am more then impressed with my new Colt and to be perfectly honest with you the front strap checkering feels a lot better in my hand then my old blue box Colt that I had to sell last year.

What about as far as the hand fitting from the Colt custom shop is it really worth that much more?

I got this gun direct from the distributor at lipsey's I was honestly surprised when I got it then it was quite a bit dirty looks like they put quite a few rounds through it testing it before shipping out it did include a test Target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello .

Hope you have recovered?

Recovery? Lol

Wow. Wishing you a long healthy life.

If you like it, feels good, it must be good!

Shooting confidence comes from the dangest things, not always physical. If you find it that way, keep it... IMHO.

Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What serial number? None of these have that, only the MSH is serrated. Could it have been added post production?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you sir !!

Negative ,.this is a.factory gun ..

I have an FFL, and.got it through lipseys one of the largest Firearms wholesalers in the country.

Let me try to get a link
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Go to lipseys.com

Look this up .COO1070CQB
CQB GOV CUST 45ACP FULL FDE 5"
45 ACP
UPC: 098289042613

MFG MDL #: O1070CQB
MSRP: $2,199.00
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go to lipseys.com

Look this up .COO1070CQB
45 ACP

View Quote
Of course.. FDE...
thought you were referring to cerakote for a bit.

Pretty, very worthy!
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Go to lipseys.com

Look this up .COO1070CQB
45 ACP

View Quote
Dual recoil springs makes them feel great to me too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Of course.. FDE...

Pretty, very worthy!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Go to lipseys.com

Look this up .COO1070CQB
45 ACP

Of course.. FDE...

Pretty, very worthy!
So these FDE guns are the ion bond Finnish?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Go to lipseys.com

Look this up .COO1070CQB
45 ACP

Of course.. FDE...

Pretty, very worthy!
Yep, only Mr. Bond from now on

Too bad... would like to see one model blued...
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don’t know of any blued M45A1s, but the Custom Shop did produce a limited number of M45A1s with black ion bond.  The model # is O1070CQBZ.

Link Posted: 7/9/2019 3:24:51 AM EDT
[#15]
The black looks amazing
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Where did you get the grips on your m45a1’s?
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Bought from the custom shop when they were 1st announced.
USMC rollmark

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I like mine a lot.

Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I wish I could have afforded one of those. Iirc the first batch of them was actually pretty reasonable.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Can we get a pic of yours Moka?  I would think front strap checkering would explain the extra 400.  I'm not sure how much a gunsmith charges to do that though to compare.  Of course doing it after the fact would probably include redoing the finish on the frame.  So......

Anyways....  love to see it and my vote is the extra 400 was probably worth it for the most part.  Especially if you like it.

A quick look at what cylinder and slide charges.  For 30 LPI it's 330 some odd dollars.
https://cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=1911PARAORD3&sid=7tnb4100bh67fu7j1b4i446n2f442a83
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wish I could have afforded one of those. Iirc the first batch of them was actually pretty reasonable.
View Quote
That was when I got mine. It was $1349 in the first round.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 2:10:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don’t know of any blued M45A1s, but the Custom Shop did produce a limited number of M45A1s with black ion bond.  The model # is O1070CQBZ.

http://i.imgur.com/XBEMz1P.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1jHnuM7.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m the proud owner of one. Although the stock grips don’t look like those, they’re a night version of the M45A1 grips.

Mine here in blackout mode with Colt logo VZ grips.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Where did you get the grips on your m45a1’s?
View Quote
Those grips should be original factory, sourced from Mil-Tac. If you are trying to score a set, they do pop up time to time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm the proud owner of one. Although the stock grips don't look like those, they're a night version of the M45A1 grips.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99075/1A1C8DFF-8AE4-4311-80D2-301FE9BC821D_jpeg-1108622.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know of any blued M45A1s, but the Custom Shop did produce a limited number of M45A1s with black ion bond.  The model # is O1070CQBZ.

I'm the proud owner of one. Although the stock grips don't look like those, they're a night version of the M45A1 grips.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99075/1A1C8DFF-8AE4-4311-80D2-301FE9BC821D_jpeg-1108622.JPG
Did yours come with the front strap checkering ?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, absolutely nothing done to it aside from swapping to Colt-licensed VZ grips. Apparently that whole run of black ionbond ones from CCS came with the checkering.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yep, absolutely nothing done to it aside from swapping to Colt-licensed VZ grips. Apparently that whole run of black ionbond ones from CCS came with the checkering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's cool !
Mine did not come with checkering ... really would've liked that .
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Of all of the variations of the M45A1, I’ve noticed two have the black ionbond slides and frames:  O1070CQB-Z and O1070CQB-B.

The O1070CQB-Z did not have the front strap checkering and had the light grip panels found on the sand colored pistols.  The O1070CQB-B have the front strap checkering and darker grip panels.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That's cool !
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's cool !
It is nice, but IMO too danged aggressive... I wish the checkering would've been more muted like on an M9a1 or M9a3 or a USP. The checkering pattern the Colt Custom Shop did feels like you're gripping needles at times.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top