Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2018 6:04:45 PM EDT
I recently won a glock 43 at a local bingo and the shop was nice enough to let me use the value of the Glock as store credit.  I had them order a Colt 9mm competition but after reading horror stories of ejecting issues im having second thoughts of going the 9mm route. Am I reading too much or should I be concerned? While I'll only have $500 (including bingo tickets) in it, I would hate to have to replace parts on a new gun or worse,  send it back to colt.  What would you do?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the Colt. No reservations.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have first hand experience with Colts 9mm 1911?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:21:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the one on the left is my 9mm Colt Competition.

Mine did have an ejection problem which was sorted out by Colt in about 5 weeks time, but most do not. It is far more accurate than my SA Range Officer 9mm was. It has a 4 pound trigger, is well fitted, and is the most fun pistol I have for the money spent.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  That's good to hear. What have you done to your besides the grips?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought 2 Colt 9mm 1911 pistols in the last year. Both have over 1500 rounds through them.

A Colt 9mm Lightweight Commander, and a Colt 9mm Competition Series 70. Make sure yours is the Series 70. It has polished Blue finish on the flats. The first year (2016) the Competition Model was Series 80 and Matte Blue.

I have NOT had a single failure with either of them with over a dozen kinds of ammo and 4 or 5 different brands of mags. I have made a few mods to both of them over the year. But the Competition, I only changed the Grips ad added a Magwell:

My Colt 9mm Competition Series 70:

My Colt 9mm LightWeight Commander:

IMG_4935 by Backup Tactical, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree that you should get the series 70 as opposed to the series 80 like mine, but it has nothing to do with the trigger. It is simply a better looking pistol.

Harrish, does your have the pencil barrel or the standard width barrel?

OP, if Harrish's has the standard width barrel, then that is definitely a reason to get the series 70.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I do have the 70 series ordered and from what I read it comes with the thicker barrel.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#8]
My 9mm LW Commander has the pencil/thin barrel.

My 70 Series Competition has the thicker Colt 9mm National Match Barrel.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 9mm LW Commander has the pencil/thin barrel.

My 70 Series Competition has the thicker Colt 9mm National Match Barrel.
View Quote
I may have to get a 70 series competition...
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I would go with the Colt I was within inches of buying one before I found a killer deal on a Sig 1911 Tacops in 9MM.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked it up last night.  It is the 70 series and the finish is nice.  There is very little play between the slide and the frame.  The thumb safety is crisp and precise.  The grip safety has some play,  which I expected.  The trigger has some play up and down and a little side to side but it doesn't bother me.  I cleaned it up and oiled it last night and went to the range today.  The good news is it is very accurate,  and a very soft shooter. I shot about 40 124 grain Blazer Brass and 50 115 grain Blazer Brass without a single malfunction.  The slide locked back with both 115 and 124 as it should have.  The bad news,  about 10% of the time it ejected brass to my forehead.  The other 90% was usually over my right shoulder.  I may try another brand magazine, and possibly a lower weight recoil spring before I try messing with the extractor or ejector,  or last  resort,  send it back to Colt.  Im sure one way or the other I'll get straight.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Update;
After the last range session I took the fps, firing pin, spring, and extractor out and cleaned everything including the filthy channels.  I also loaded the mags to their limit and locked the slide back for a few days.  This afternoon I shot 115 blazer brass and 115 remington umc without any brass to the head.  There may have been a piece or 2 that went over my right shoulder but for the most part the brass ejected out at about 3:30 - 4:30 and 3'-4' away.  It also locked back on every magazine like it should have.  While this may not be perfect,  it's acceptable to me as long as it doesn't malfunction, (which it hasn't). I still may try a 12lb single spring just to see if it makes any difference.  The more I shoot this thing,  the more I like it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#13]
After a lot of research I decided to go with the S&A Magwell  too. I called S&A directly and asked about the material they use. They said within the last 2 years they switched to Billet for their straight magwells. They use to be cast, but now only the arched magwells are cast. To eliminate any possibility of getting an old cast model, I purchased directly from S&A. Had to order over the phone but not a big deal once I got hold of someone. Very nice and informative and a pleasure to work with.

I also took advantage of the Black Friday deals and bought a set of VZ grips. I actually got the same Colt logo grips only in Black Cherry and with a magwell cut.

Rather than swap springs and pins I ordered new ones from Nighthawk Custom. I wanted reduced rate anyway, and they sell pin and spring kits at a good cost, especially considering the 20% off for cyber Monday.

Now I have to wait for all the parts to come in. I will post an update and hopefully some pictures once everything is complete.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After a lot of research I decided to go with the S&A Magwell  too. I called S&A directly and asked about the material they use. They said within the last 2 years they switched to Billet for their straight magwells. They use to be cast, but now only the arched magwells are cast. To eliminate any possibility of getting an old cast model, I purchased directly from S&A. Had to order over the phone but not a big deal once I got hold of someone. Very nice and informative and a pleasure to work with.

I also took advantage of the Black Friday deals and bought a set of VZ grips. I actually got the same Colt logo grips only in Black Cherry and with a magwell cut.

Rather than swap springs and pins I ordered new ones from Nighthawk Custom. I wanted reduced rate anyway, and they sell pin and spring kits at a good cost, especially considering the 20% off for cyber Monday.

Now I have to wait for all the parts to come in. I will post an update and hopefully some pictures once everything is complete.
View Quote
Please post pics when you get it installed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#15]
EGW is in Quakertown.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
EGW is in Quakertown.
View Quote
Not sure why you posted this. Can you explain please?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But the Competition, I only changed the Grips ad added a Magwell:
View Quote
Not to hijack (who? me? ), but which magwell did you go with?

I have a LW Commander in .38Super that begs for one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#18]
He used the S&A slim straight magwell, and used slim VZ grips.  You will also need new bushings and screws if you go with the slim. I decided to stay with standard size magwell  grips and ordered the standard magwell to match. S&A's prices will be going up soon,  so order before the new year to save some money
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not to hijack (who? me? ), but which magwell did you go with?

I have a LW Commander in .38Super that begs for one.
View Quote
The same one the OP went with, S&A.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He used the S&A slim straight magwell, and used slim VZ grips.  You will also need new bushings and screws if you go with the slim. I decided to stay with standard size magwell  grips and ordered the standard magwell to match. S&A's prices will be going up soon,  so order before the new year to save some money
View Quote
I think you came up with a great and well-researched plan for your Colt Competition here. Look forward to hearing more about it and seeing some pictures of the final product and the process too! You sound a lot like me when getting a new gun, especially a 1911. I got into the 1911 game almost 2 years ago. I now have 8 1911 pistols, all 9mm. Including 4 Dan Wessons and an excellent condition used Wilson X-Tac Elite Compact Carry Comp 9mm.

I started with a Kimber with a factory threaded barrel (bought on impulse before doing research), moved on to Colt, now Dan Wesson and Wilson. Even my Kimber has been perfect. I have over 10K rounds through these 8 1911 9mm pistols, and I have yet to have a single malfunction with ANY of them! I even run the Kimber suppressed 90% of the time, and it has over 1500 rounds through it; I even went 800 rounds without cleaning it! Over 700 of those rounds was suppressed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I now have 8 1911 pistols, all 9mm.
View Quote
Now that's just sad............
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The same one the OP went with, S&A.
View Quote
I went with an S&A, but the standard size,  not the thin.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think you came up with a great and well-researched plan for your Colt Competition here. Look forward to hearing more about it and seeing some pictures of the final product and the process too! You sound a lot like me when getting a new gun, especially a 1911. I got into the 1911 game almost 2 years ago. I now have 8 1911 pistols, all 9mm. Including 4 Dan Wessons and an excellent condition used Wilson X-Tac Elite Compact Carry Comp 9mm.

I started with a Kimber with a factory threaded barrel (bought on impulse before doing research), moved on to Colt, now Dan Wesson and Wilson. Even my Kimber has been perfect. I have over 10K rounds through these 8 1911 9mm pistols, and I have yet to have a single malfunction with ANY of them! I even run the Kimber suppressed 90% of the time, and it has over 1500 rounds through it; I even went 800 rounds without cleaning it! Over 700 of those rounds was suppressed.
View Quote
I can see a Dan Wesson as my next 1911. I'm thinking a commander size possibly.  I've researched other brands and it seems Dan Wesson is the best bang for the buck.  (Pun intended)

I also ordered a Holster from 1791 Gun Leather, and 3 - 10 round Brownells mags, and 1 Wilson 10 round.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Here's my 1921 next to the new un modified competition model. Check back for updates as parts come in.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#25]

S&A billet magwell was delayed in Texas but it finally came.  VZ magwell grips fit perfect along with the VZ turbo screws.  Installed new single recoil spring and guide rod,  as well as pins and main spring from Nighthawk.  Haven't shot it to compare or test,  but I think the trigger feels lighter and more crisp. The new Wilson and Brownells 10 round magazines all fit great. I did have to trim one coil from the Wilson mag so it would allow 10 rounds to fit somewhat easily.  I ordered a 1791 holster but it has been lost in transit so they sent another today via FedEx. All in all,  I'm very happy with the results.  The magwell fit great with no modifications needed at all,  and I personally think it really adds class to the competeion Colt. If you are on the fence about getting this magwell,  just get it. Do it before the new year, because the price is going up quite a bit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#26]

1791 Holster came and looks great.  Nice fit and finish.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Very nice OP

This model will be my next Colt purchase.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Beautiful gun OP. Those grips look much better than the Blue ones too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Beautiful gun OP. Those grips look much better than the Blue ones too.
View Quote
Seconded
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I now have 8 1911 pistols, all 9mm.
Well at least he’s consistent.

Mine are both 9MM as well but the next one will be a CMP 1911, eventually.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It has a 4 pound trigger, is well fitted, and is the most fun pistol I have for the money spent.
View Quote
Well fitted?  You mean to tell me if you shake this thing back and forth it doesn't sound like a bucket of loose parts?  Gotta be honest, didn't think Colt had it in them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#32]
OP it came out GREAT! I love the vision you had for it. Wasn't it so easy to install the magwell?

One thing concerns me a little bit. You said you trimmed a coil off the Wilson magazine spring. I would not do that.  If you experience some feeding problems with that mag once you start shooting it again that's the problem, not the gun.

Please let us know how it shoots and get some picture up of that baby in action.

If anyone wants a new Government sized 1911 and is in the sub $1K budget club, the Colt Competition 70 Series is a great choice. The one I received is much tighter than my other new production colts. The thumb safety clicks on and off very positively with no over-travel. The trigger is a little tighter and the grip safety is a little tighter. Much less rattle on the Competition than on my 2 new production Commanders. With a few inexpensive mods you can have yourself a very nice 1911. Especially since the 70 Series Competitions have the nice polished blue colt finish. I have Dan Wessons and I even just picked up a Wilson Combat, I'm perfectly proud of my Colt Competition. My other new Colts are fine, but much looser everywhere than the Competition.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I trimmed the spring because it was very difficult to load 10 rounds in the mag. It also chambered rounds kind of hard without it trimmed.  I haven't fired it since the mods but if I have any issues I'll look at the mag first.  The magwell was very easy to install and fits great.  Hopefully I'll be able to get the range soon and test the changes.  I'll update when I do.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Why wouldn't they put frontstrap checkering on a model they built for competition?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#35]
To keep costs down im sure.  The same could be said about the magwell. It's their basic competition model.  There are other models that offer those options but at a much higher cost.  
I wish it had the checkering, but it wasn't a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Colt still makes Series 70 1911s?

I thought collet barrel bushings went out of fashion 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Colt considers it a 70 seires because the 80 series firing pin stop is not present.  However it isn't a true 70 series.  It has a solid bushing, not a collet bushing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I went to the range today and shot around 150 rounds +/-  of 115 Blazer Brass and Remington UMC.
Overall it ran great.  While double tapping it I had an occasional piece of brass bounce off the top of my head but it was only 2 or 3 pieces out of the 150+/- rounds. Most of the brass went over my right shoulder or maybe around the 5:00 area. I started with a 10lb spring then installed and left the 12lb spring in it.  All the mags worked great with no issues.  The recoil and the trigger are awesome.  The more I shoot this thing,  the more I like it. I think my son got some pictures and videos of it in action.  I'll post them if I get them from him.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
To keep costs down im sure.  The same could be said about the magwell. It's their basic competition model.  There are other models that offer those options but at a much higher cost.  
I wish it had the checkering, but it wasn't a deal breaker.
View Quote
Put some 3M traction tape on the front strap.

A Wilson magwell is only around $30 and a little fitting effort.   Just don’t get careless with the Dremel angle/depth or you’ll take a chip out of your grips.  (Guess how I know.)
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why wouldn't they put frontstrap checkering on a model they built for competition?
View Quote
It is their base offering in the Competition series. They can be had on Gunbroker for just over $700 new, and used ones for less than $700. They expect you to tweak it the way you like. Which many of us have done.

They have a few more limited production versions I have seen in the Competition series with more bells and whistles like a magwell, checkering on the front grip, adj sites, etc.

If you go to Gnbroker and search: "Colt CUSTOM COMPETITION" you will see what I mean. Pricey though, like $2300 pricey.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It is their base offering in the Competition series. They can be had on Gunbroker for just over $700 new, and used ones for less than $700. They expect you to tweak it the way you like. Which many of us have done.

They have a few more limited production versions I have seen in the Competition series with more bells and whistles like a magwell, checkering on the front grip, adj sites, etc.

If you go to Gnbroker and search: "Colt CUSTOM COMPETITION" you will see what I mean. Pricey though, like $2300 pricey.
View Quote
I've owned a lot of Colts and I don't think I could bring myself to pay $2300 for one.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've owned a lot of Colts and I don't think I could bring myself to pay $2300 for one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very simple Bradd

Don’t pay for one.

Let me bring this back to the OP’s  Model. The Colt Competition 9mm

My two Colt WC models have never failed me.

Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Very simple Bradd

Don't pay for one.

Let me bring this back to the OP's  Model. The Colt Competition 9mm

My two Colt WC models have never failed me.

Merry Christmas
View Quote
Sorry. I didn't realize side discussions weren't allowed. Carry on.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#44]
It's all good.  I don't mind sharing my post, lol.  Im very happy with my Colt,  but really don't have much experience with 1911's to compare them to. I wouldn't pay $2000 for one either. In fact, I would like to get a Dan Wesson or Nighthawk next,  but have a hard time justifying spending that much for one.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#45]
My apologies.

Was not meant to be a call out to Bradd.

Just got the wife back from the hospital.

However, at times I interject myself into my “feels” when it comes to Colt.

Glad to have my love back .

Merry Christmas all you 1911 aficionados.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#46]
USMC Dad,
From my family to yours,  I hope your wife is ok and your family has a great Christmas, and a happy new year.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
USMC Dad,
From my family to yours,  I hope your wife is ok and your family has a great Christmas, and a happy new year.
View Quote
Again I apologize for last night. It has been a stressful past week.

Bergy24

Thank you for the sincere well wishes and for a thread that I’ve enjoyed following.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Now let’s get back to more range reports
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's all good.  I don't mind sharing my post, lol.  Im very happy with my Colt,  but really don't have much experience with 1911's to compare them to. I wouldn't pay $2000 for one either. In fact, I would like to get a Dan Wesson or Nighthawk next,  but have a hard time justifying spending that much for one.
View Quote
My Friend there was a time not too long ago, like 12 months ago, that I would not consider paying more than $1K for a handgun. I made an exception because after buying 3 Colt 9mm pistols, I needed to know what a few more dollars would get you in the 1911 world. I bought a new Dan Wesson Valkyrie for $1300 and could not believe how superior it was in every single way to the Colts I bought.

Then I got to thinking how can it be possible that a 1911 could be thousands of dollars better than a Dan Wesson. I had to know what a Wilson 9mm 1911 was like. I could't pony up the $4200 for the one I wanted, but when I got a smoking deal on a like new used one, I had to know. That almost 4 weeks ago. On Monday I bought/traded into my 2nd Wilson! I gave up 3 guns I don't shoot (non 1911s), + $800 for it. It will be here Friday. Used like new Ultralight Carry Compact 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Maybe one day I'll convince myself or find an awesome deal like you did.  I hate paying full price for any gun, and am always looking for good deals.  I guess I need to look harder.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

My Friend there was a time not too long ago, like 12 months ago, that I would not consider paying more than $1K for a handgun. I made an exception because after buying 3 Colt 9mm pistols, I needed to know what a few more dollars would get you in the 1911 world. I bought a new Dan Wesson Valkyrie for $1300 and could not believe how superior it was in every single way to the Colts I bought.

Then I got to thinking how can it be possible that a 1911 could be thousands of dollars better than a Dan Wesson. I had to know what a Wilson 9mm 1911 was like. I could't pony up the $4200 for the one I wanted, but when I got a smoking deal on a like new used one, I had to know. That almost 4 weeks ago. On Monday I bought/traded into my 2nd Wilson! I gave up 3 guns I don't shoot (non 1911s), + $800 for it. It will be here Friday. Used like new Ultralight Carry Compact 9mm.
View Quote
I took a similar path over the past 20 years or so. Colt/Kimber/Springfield to Dan Wesson to Wilson. There was even an Ed Brown in there. I've had 9 Dan Wessons (6 Valors, 1 VBOB, 1 Valkyrie, 1 PM-45) and 4 Wilsons (3 CQB's, 1 Classic). I actually prefer my Dan Wessons to my Wilsons right now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top