Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 6/20/2020 8:59:54 AM EDT
My wife won a Glock 43 a couple years ago and instead of accepting the Glock we decided to apply the Glock 43 value towards a colt competition 9mm. 70 series.  The 70 series came with a bull barrel which is very accurate. The trigger was nice and the overall fit was pretty good. I added a mag well and some VZ Colt Grips cut for the mag well.  The only issue I had was spent brass to the head,  erratic ejection and a stovepipe every now and then. I checked the extractor tension and it was almost non existent and would not pass any tests.  I added some tension and it helped a lot, but would not eject correctly without a mag inserted. I noticed  extractor does clock a little which can contribute to the erratic ejection. One weird thing though,  Colt shipped this 70 series with an 80 series Extractor.  I read a lot of good things about the EGW and Wilson bullet proof extractors and decided to try a Wilson.  Some people claim these don't need any adjustment but the one I bought did.  It needed some tension and the pad rounded slightly to fit the extractor channel better so the extractor could get closer to the case.  The Wilson extractor fits very tight without any clocking.  I just installed this this morning, and it passes all the tests,  but I still need to shoot it to confirm.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#1]
My extractor had the same issues.  Replaced it with a Wilson.  Also got rid of the dual recoil springs and installed a Wilson plug and now run a regular Wilson spring.

Can I ask what brand magwell is that?  Looks really good.

I want to change the plastic MSH on mine and thinking about a Wilson or Ed Brown.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Went through the same with my .45 competition.  Had to tension my stock extractor after taking a couple to the forehead.  That helped, but the extractor was still slightly clocking.  I ended up switching to an EGW practical extractor and a Harrison firing pin retainer.  The stock firing pin retainer was loose, I had to fit the Harrison.  After changing the two, there is no clocking at all.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the first things I did was removed the dual recoil spring for a nighthawk recoil spring kit and guide rod.  It comes with 10lb and 12lb recoil springs.  Both work well but I like the 10lb more.  

The magwell is a Smith and Alexander. The fit and finish were very good.  

It shoots very well. Hardly any recoil and very accurate.  Hopefully this new extractor did the trick.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top