Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2018 6:10:31 PM EDT
Looked for another C&R gun and came across this. A 1956 cobra . Finish is definitely wore but I may refinish it.  Overpaid maybe but it’s a cool gun for the money CobraAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
leave it the way it is. I bid on and won a Md38 about 4 months ago. I was the only bidder for $250. The photos shown made it look in slightly better shape. I was surprised when it arrived it was in much better shape than the photos showed it to be.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you did fine.  Colt isn't  making anymore of them.  The price isn't far off what you pay for a new Taurus.  The Colt is a much better gun.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Most refinishers will not refinish an aluminum framed revolver because the barrel has to be removed to re-blue or for any other chemical finish.
There's a very high risk that when the barrel is removed the frame will crack through the threaded area so most stopped offering re-blues.

You can have it bright nickel plated, Electroless Nickel coated, or hard chrome finished since these don't require barrel removal.
Most hard chrome platers will not plate the aluminum, they'll bead blast the aluminum parts to look like the hard chrome.

Another finish that can be used on aluminum would be a painted finish like Cerakote.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]
got it today. the frame is actually is pretty great shape as far a the finish goes couple nicks and dings but not bad. the cyl. and barrel on the other hand  have basically 0% of the original finish left and what is left is wore thin.
i might just roll with it.  or if i can have the cyl reblued and maybe cold blue the barrel while still on the gun since i know removing it isnt an option because of the alloy frame.

not sure what to do.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Got any pics?
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top