Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2018 4:05:35 PM EDT
I was given a opportunity to buy a 1960 4.50" Colt SAA and some gun leather.....The problem was I was told the revolver looked like warmed-over shit.

Yep it did and then some. After some struggle I got the cylinder out and the chambers were clean and the bore looked great....What the hell, I traded a M91 Mosin for the revolver/Boyt Case and $10.00 to boot for the gun leather.

Good Lord I don't think there was a part that did not have a little rust on it.....And the pitting.

Before:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Yikes!

Attachment Attached File

Four hours later:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

LOL....I guess it has that "destressed" look some peeps like.

It's ugly as sin but 100% functional.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Gold plate it with white Virgin Mary grips
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
its a damn shame to neglect a good shooter like that.  looks like its been kept in a tackle box. good on you
for taking it on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
its a damn shame to neglect a good shooter like that.  looks like its been kept in a tackle box. good on you
for taking it on.
View Quote
OK, you might be on to something.

You can't see it in the "before" pics but there was a glob of residue inside the trigger guard that looked sort of like what you would see when one of those rubber night-crawler lures would "melt' or what ever they do. It was not much but I've seen it before in old tackle boxes and the lures would make a mess.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Turnbull.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:  It was not much but I've seen it before in old tackle boxes and the lures would make a mess.
View Quote
Don't tell us you're on TackleBox.com and post pics there of your antique tackle boxes that you buy from pawn shops for a song.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Has that been there done that look.  I'd probably leave it as is and just use as a shooter.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Turnbull.
View Quote
I would leave as is , a turnbull restoration will cost more than buying a new in box Colt
Shooter and glove box gun
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 5:37:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Put it in white distilled vinegar for about a week.
Most of the rust will come off without harming the metal.
I've been restoring firearms for years it will help.
JG10mm
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Put it in white distilled vinegar for about a week.
Most of the rust will come off without harming the metal.
I've been restoring firearms for years it will help.
JG10mm
View Quote
Slightly off topic,  will white distilled vinegar hurt or stain bumper chrome?   The dashboard on my motorcycle has rust on the underneath side that I'd like to kill before it eats through to the chrome plating.

@JG10mm

Okay, so l guess that was a lot off topic.  

Nice save op!
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I would dilute  the white vinegar by a third .
Ive never incountered a problem.
Use soft brush on chrome.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gold plate it with white Virgin Mary grips
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#13]
That breaks my heart to see that, but on the brightside its functional  I'd choot the hell outta it. Also I'm not usually big on the hole faux antique finish, but I think it would look great on yours. Still a sweet score.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#14]
What caliber is it?
I would clean it and get a good holster and have a real cowboy gun
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m surprised the chambers and bore survived .
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I bet is sat in a leather holster for a long time.  That would explain the external pitting and rust

The bore and chambers, if wiped with oil, would have still been ok.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I cannot understand why some people allow that to happen to their weapons. Looks like it was rarely used and in good shape. Grips were nice. It is a shame.  I would clean it up.  Refinishing would take the metal down where the grips would not fit right and the stamping would be close to gone. Take care of it and shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What caliber is it?
I would clean it and get a good holster and have a real cowboy gun
View Quote
First pic shows stamping on the barrel as "Single Action Army 45", so I'd guess 45 Colt.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Watch the Anvil channel on Youtube about conservation of old guns.  They boil old guns in distilled water to stop the rust and card it but no wire wheel.  I plan on trying this on a old .22 revolver I have that has some bad rust on it.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top