Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 6/23/2020 2:01:58 PM EDT
Last year I decided to get a 686 PreLock and kept missing the ones that came up. I got to shoot a 6” Royal Blue Python and was blown away. I decided that it was just a bit too long and after looking at 4” polished stainless models decided to just go back to the 686. Colt announced they would be releasing the Python and the deposit was put down.

After waiting since January I finally got the call - I forgot about the deposit because Rona

Picked up my Colt Python 4.25” today. This thing is amazing

Ran 50 rounds through it to get a feel for it

Generally speaking I am new to revolvers and stainless handguns

Does anyone recommend a specific cleaner or protectant for the stainless ?
Any cleaners to stay away from to not ruin the finish?
Does anyone make G10 grips for the Python?
Who makes good leather for the 4.25”

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Use whatever cleaner you like.  Stainless doesn't care.  For holsters I go to ebay.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Use whatever cleaner you like.  Stainless doesn't care.  For holsters I go to ebay.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#3]
At this point your favorite cleaner will work, if down the road you decide to shoot lead bullets especially softer lead, a good purchase is a Lewis Lead remover It helps get rid of lead which can accumulate on the forcing cone.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Much appreciated- I’m collecting brass at this point still before I commit to reloading .357

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the same gun.  It's amazing.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice!

Colt must have just released a run of these as my LGS just got some in too. I had to pass as I've recently picked up some other guns and because I can't decide between the 4" and 6" model?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#7]
As above, stainless steel isn't affected by any commercial gun cleaning product, use what you want.

Also as above, buy a Lewis Lead Remover kit from Brownell's even if you only shoot jacketed bullets.
The Lewis kit has a special forcing cone cleaning tool that not only removes leading from the cone, it also removes carbon and copper build up.  A badly fouled forcing cone can crack as was found out with the S&W "K" frames used with hot 125 grain loads.

While you're ordering from Brownell's buy a couple of bronze chamber brushes.  These are much faster and better for removing fouling from the chambers.
DON'T use stainless chamber brushes, these can harm the chambers.

For holsters, any holster made for an original 4 inch Python will work, but depending on the design, the 4 1/4 inch 2020 Python barrel may either stick out the bottom slightly or won't seat fully in a closed toe holster.

Some makers are now making holsters specifically for the new Python.
A good one is El Paso Saddlery.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:25:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At this point your favorite cleaner will work, if down the road you decide to shoot lead bullets especially softer lead, a good purchase is a Lewis Lead remover It helps get rid of lead which can accumulate on the forcing cone.
View Quote

Lewis Lead Removers are like the best kept secret in the revolver world. They've been around for decades, but people hardly ever mention them.

When it comes to shooting lead in a revolver, my go to tool is always the Lewis. I use it first, and rarely have to follow it with a brush. It works on both lead, and the bullet lube that builds up in the chambers.

As far as cleaning supplies. I use whatever I grab when I'm cleaning. Sometimes its Hoppes, sometimes CLP, and other times I'll use Lucas cleaning products. I have also used lead away clothes for the cylinder face.

OP, it really doesn't matter what products you use, but stay away from anything made of stainless steel. Also the harsher the solvents, the more apt you are to etch a barrel. So no soaking a barrel and coming back to it hours or days later. I don't use a solvent for anything more than a patch or two through the barrel and cylinder after using the Lewis.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#9]
a Smith 686 holster is a perfect fit

When Smith brought out the 586 / 686 they caught a little flack for making almost a clone of the Python.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#10]

nice looking gun.

how does the crown look ?

can you post some pics ?

thanks

PS- save your brass, and think about reloading, if you don't already.

Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:48:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I've used Flitz to clean my S&W Model 686 Plus revolver. Fast and easy.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top