Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2022 3:26:05 PM EDT
I need some help finding a good set of grips for my new production Python.  I'm looking for function over form, so I don't really care if they are pretty or not.  The wood grips that come with the gun are pretty, but they don't fit my hand as well as I'd like and are a bit slippery.  

I generally love rubber grips like Hogue Tamers.  I tried the Hogue rubber grips for the Python and didn't like them at all.  They didn't cover the backstrap, the finger grooves didn't fit my hand, and they were too long and not wide enough.

I'm currently using the Pachmayr grips.  They are ok.  I wish they were a bit more hand filling, although I find that they are a bit too large front to back.  It's like holding a 2x4.  They are also surprisingly slippery.

I'm somewhat new to revolvers, but the Hogue Tamer grips for the Kimber K6 fit my hands perfectly.  If I could find something like those I'd be happy.  But I'm guessing I'll have to settle for wood, as I've exhausted the two options I know for rubber grips.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry no help here.
Just bought a 6 inch SS new production python today.

Bought it cause it does fit my hands well. Im of medium hand size.

I've always went pachmyer if i go aftermarket.
They do make different sizes.

I have them on my 4 inch S&W 44 mountain gun.

And the gel pachmyers came factory on my toklat 454.
By far the best pachmyer grips I've ever held.
Make shooting it a pleasure.

Maybe look for a set of gel pachmyers
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Try Pachmayr Presentation grips.  If you want your hand filled right up, but comfortable, try Hogue Wooden Monogrips.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Revolver grips are something of a trial and error process.  What works for one, may not work for another.

Historically I've been a Pachmyhr fan.  Uncle Mike's is a close second. Never been a fan of Hogues, don't like finger grove grips in general.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I finally just ended up modding the original Altamonts on my King Cobra, after buying three different aftermarkets.

Stippled the backstrap and dremeled in some thumb rest.  I like 'em now.

I suppose I could take a picture if it matters.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#5]
One strong option are Herrett's.
They're an old line custom grip maker who will custom fit a grip to you if you send them a tracing of your hand.
They offer a number of styles.
The company is upgrading and a new web site is in the works.

http://herrettstocks.com/

Nill make open back and closed revolver grips.  Very high quality........

https://us.nill-shop.com/Replacement-Grips-closed-Back-Revolvers

KDS are made in Turkey and feature exceptional Turkish Walnut..........

https://ksdgripsusa.com/category/colt-python-officer-model-match

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top