Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 10/26/2020 10:47:55 AM EDT
Just picked up one of these. I want to get different grips. I like the VZ G10 grips, website says "not for king cobra" but a couple YouTube videos show owners putting the VZ cobra grips on a king cobra.. anyone do this firsthand or know someone who has?

Also looking for OWB comfortable leather holster for farm carry and such.

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I don’t think that when I ordered those grips in January their website said it would not fit a KC.

Those grips fit my KC better than the stock grips. On my stock grips the bottom screw would not tighten.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind, there's the original 80's to 90's King Cobra, which was a medium frame revolver comparable to the Python and S&W 686 in size.

The New King Cobra is a Detective Special size small frame and cylinder revolver.
The grip frame will accept any grip made for the old Colt "D" frame models like the Detective Special, Agent, original Cobra, Diamondback, etc.

Holsters are "iffy" because of the reshaped trigger guard on the New Cobra and New King Cobra.  The New King Cobra and New Cobra may not fit some holsters because of the trigger guard shape, but many holsters will fit.
All you can do is contact the holster makers and ask if a model will fit.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Holsters are "iffy" because of the reshaped trigger guard on the New Cobra and New King Cobra.  The New King Cobra and New Cobra may not fit some holsters because of the trigger guard shape, but many holsters will fit. All you can do is contact the holster makers and ask if a model will fit.
View Quote

The Ruger GP100 holsters will fit the new King Cobra like a glove.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:17:58 AM EDT
[#4]
So the hunt continues...

I tried a "speedbeez" SP101 holster with no luck. The SP101 5 shot cylinder is slightly smaller than my king cobra 6 shot cylinder, wouldn't quite squeeze in.

I also picked up a "simply rugged holsters" pancake holster, and it's in my top 3 most uncomfortable holster combinations I've ever tried.

Still hunting for a good OWB holster for this revolver. Anyone with first hand experience or holsters you can suggest would be a huge help and save me some time/money.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I tried a "speedbeez" SP101 holster with no luck. The SP101 5 shot cylinder is slightly smaller than my king cobra 6 shot cylinder, wouldn't quite squeeze in.
View Quote

My apologies!  

I wrote the wrong Ruger model for fit! It's the GP100, the 6-shot model!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Keep in mind, there's the original 80's to 90's King Cobra, which was a medium frame revolver comparable to the Python and S&W 686 in size.

The New King Cobra is a Detective Special size small frame and cylinder revolver.
The grip frame will accept any grip made for the old Colt "D" frame models like the Detective Special, Agent, original Cobra, Diamondback, etc.
View Quote

Are you sure about that? I was looking at Hogue's site under their "Detective Special (D Frame)" section and it specifically states "Will NOT fit the 2017 Colt Cobra"

I also seen this on Badger Custom Grips page... "Fitting Information: This grip fits D-Frame pistols made from 1966-1999.  This includes the SF-VI and DS-II model revolvers (including the Magnum Carry).  In recent years, Colt has released a new version of the D frame (used on the King Cobra) that our grips DO NOT fit."

I ask because I have a new gen 3" Cobra and would like to find some full 3-Finger combat-style grips for but haven't found anything that is stated to fit?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#7]
The New Cobra and King Cobra are the same general frame and cylinder diameter as the older Detective Special/Diamondback, but the shape of the trigger guard and the grip frame are slightly different.

A number of people report being able to install older Colt "D" frame grips on the new models, but some fitting may be required.

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top