Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2020 1:09:49 AM EDT
I’ve always wanted a Colt single action .45. I know someone selling a NIB Colt Cowboy, model CB1850. 5.5” barrel.

Wondering what a fair realistic price is. I honestly have no idea what the difference is between the “Cowboy” model and Single Action Army models that are currently available.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:56:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had both and for all practical purposes  45LC single action is just that and has become seriously over priced.  For some odd reason the newer ones are sneered at by elite FFL holders who's main intent in life is to offer low sell high. If you ask him what he paid for it and how long he had it and what he wants for it see if it sounds reasonable.  There has to be a reason he is wanting to sell it so once you understand what that is you can decide how badly you want it. Meanwhile look up what they actually sold for on gunbroker etc.   45LC is a better choice if you hand load than if you dont.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I see 45 LC is not readily available and I don’t hand load. This would be more of a collectors piece for me than something that gets handled and shot much.

One sold on Gunbroker for $1685 recently. I can get this one for $1400
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought mine new for $550. It just never gave me the SAA Colt vibe. The cylinders were slightly larger in diameter, and the frame was cast. The barrel however was the same as the real SAA, just not finished as well. I offed mine and bought the real thing. Never missed it. I would buy a Ruger before the Kaboi.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I see 45 LC is not readily available and I don’t hand load. This would be more of a collectors piece for me than something that gets handled and shot much.

One sold on Gunbroker for $1685 recently. I can get this one for $1400
View Quote

I bought one soon after they came out. They were made as an alternative to the regular SAA that had risen in price high enough that it was shutting out people from the market or they were going over to imports. I want to say it was right in the neighborhood of $500 or so that I paid. I think list was $600. Mine has the black rubber grips, is in .45 Colt and has a 4 3/4 barrel. No it's not a traditional SAA but it also has one of the nicest triggers, has absolutely no drag lines on the cylinder and was regulated very well for standard ''cowboy'' loads.

I like the 4 3/4 barrels more then the 5.5 myself.

I have a Ruger Vaquero also but with a 5.5 barrel. [old model] the Colt shot better then the Vaquero and felt better to handle.

I would say that around $950-$1000 is more the value, he's priced way to high. Yeah they are listed higher on line but they also usually have no buyers and no bidders on the auctions at the listed price. I'd bet the one that sold for that price on line was also the last run, was polished to a higher grade and was the last run because that price falls in line with what those go for. The regular 5.5 barrel one's don't get that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
The cowboy came out when popularity of cowboy action shooting was at its peak, and was colts effort to offer a less expensive alternative to a true single action army to compete with Ruger and the imports. As I recall there was some issue with a patent infringement related to another companies products so was only made for a couple years. Value for these is related to well it is a colt and had very limited production.
For $1400 you are in real single action army price territory and that is where I would go if I were you.
As far as 45 colt ammo, it is easily available, but runs about 40-50 per box ( shame on you for not being set up to reload) as you can reload it for about $5 a box.
Right now walking into the big mass merchandisers like bass pro or sportsman’s warehouse, it is one of the only calibers I see on the shelf with regularity
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The cowboy came out when popularity of cowboy action shooting was at its peak, and was colts effort to offer a less expensive alternative to a true single action army to compete with Ruger and the imports. As I recall there was some issue with a patent infringement related to another companies products so was only made for a couple years. Value for these is related to well it is a colt and had very limited production.
For $1400 you are in real single action army price territory and that is where I would go if I were you.
As far as 45 colt ammo, it is easily available, but runs about 40-50 per box ( shame on you for not being set up to reload) as you can reload it for about $5 a box.
Right now walking into the big mass merchandisers like bass pro or sportsman’s warehouse, it is one of the only calibers I see on the shelf with regularity
View Quote

I would get a real SAA that price!
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
So correct me if I’m wrong, but when the first Colt Cowboy was released, it was poo?

However, the 3rd Gen ? Cowboy is supposed to be cosmetically and dimensionally the same as typical SAA. The real difference is the transfer bar that allows 6 rounds to be carried?

I definitely don’t want to jump on this if it’s not worth it, but the seller said this one is basically same parts as SAA, and when Colt first released the Cowboy they were using sub par parts.

My local gun show had new Single Action Army for $2000.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So correct me if I’m wrong, but when the first Colt Cowboy was released, it was poo?

However, the 3rd Gen ? Cowboy is supposed to be cosmetically and dimensionally the same as typical SAA. The real difference is the transfer bar that allows 6 rounds to be carried?

I definitely don’t want to jump on this if it’s not worth it, but the seller said this one is basically same parts as SAA, and when Colt first released the Cowboy they were using sub par parts.

My local gun show had new Single Action Army for $2000.
View Quote

Every cowboy I’ve seen had a nice fit and finish but again they were 500 bucks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]
So the folks that are saying I’m in SAA range....Can you point me in the direction of what is considered decent NIB pricing.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Colt SAA
View Quote

And that’s why I’m torn. Same price at the gun show. Is the Cowboy not worth saving $600? It IS new in box.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And that’s why I’m torn. Same price at the gun show. Is the Cowboy not worth saving $600? It IS new in box.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt SAA

Offer $950. He's not going to get what he wants out of it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt SAA

If it was still $550.00 sure! That is what I paid.  Personally, I would get a Uberti!
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#14]
The seller will get $1100-$1400.
Colt revolver prices all prices were going up even before the panic.
If you are collecting, you will pay what your comfortable with.

I would try and find a new 3rd gen SAA.
I haven’t priced one lately but this where I would start if collecting.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys....even though a beautiful wheel gun, I’m going to pass. Found a good article that explained the differences. It is indeed not quite a SAA
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Am I incorrect in that Colt subbed out the making of their Cowboy model?
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Colt Cowboy was made by the Czechs as a low cost cowboy gun for those who didn’t want to pay Colt SAA prices.  During this same time period Colt imported a Czech semi auto pistol. Neither were around long, I think the Cowboy ceased production in 2003.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Every cowboy I’ve seen had a nice fit and finish but again they were 500 bucks.
View Quote

Every Cowboy I’ve seen had terrible fit and finish compared to an SAA, even the clunker 3rd Gen SAA from the 1980’s.

Personally wouldn’t have one.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

. Is the Cowboy not worth saving $600? .
View Quote

No.

I’m a Colt guy through and through and I would buy a decent Vaquero before a Cowboy
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No.

I’m a Colt guy through and through and I would buy a decent Vaquero before a Cowboy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

. Is the Cowboy not worth saving $600? .

No.

My Cowboy was the most accurate SAA I ever owned. Just have two left now, a OM Vaquero and a Cowboy and I keep the OM Vaquero simply because it can handle hotter loads.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 7:04:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Colt Cowboy was a prime example of how the Consumer should not be listened to. People bitched to Colt that the SSA was too expensive. That Colt needs to release something at the same price point as Ruger. So Colt did and then those ssme people that bitched, didn't buy the gun because it was too similar to Ruger and wasn't a "real Colt".
View Quote

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Colt Cowboy was a prime example of how the Consumer should not be listened to. People bitched to Colt that the SSA was too expensive. That Colt needs to release something at the same price point as Ruger. So Colt did and then those ssme people that bitched, didn't buy the gun because it was too similar to Ruger and wasn't a "real Colt".
View Quote

Colt can’t do anything to please some people.

We want a new Python
Colt: Here’s a new Python
Why is demand so high and why doesn’t it cost $500?!?
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Colt can’t do anything to please some people.

We want a new Python
Colt: Here’s a new Python
Why is demand so high and why doesn’t it cost $500?!?
View Quote

It's not just Colt. Gun enthusiast are the biggest bunch of whiners and know-it-alls of any group I have experienced. I'd probably lose my shit if I worked in this industry.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep lol
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top