Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2020 3:17:52 PM EDT
OK, so I recently found a guy offering an " unfired 20 year old P226" for $500. Naturally, I contacted him for more info and learned the pistol is closer to 30 years old. Unfortunately, the comms have been sporadic--his inbox filled up and for a week, my IMs were bouncing back.
His last contact before losing contact said he bought it new "around early 90s" and never fired it. He said it's still in the box, which he described as "yellow, with a felt lining."

That suggests it may be a West German pistol, and for $500, I wasn't going to piss around with more questions--as soon as I was able to get a board admin to contact him and advise him to clean his inbox (not this board, BTW), I said I'd take it and now we're going to get an appointment to meet at a FFL Monday or Tuesday.

Now this is sort of a dilemma. I was casually shopping to replace my last P226, which my son decided should be his, so I was looking for a shooter. And while it would be fun to treat this like any other "new" gun (clean, lube, load and fire), I'm wondering if that's a good idea in this case.

I am not a Sig collector, but assume a NIB W.German pistol would carry a premium for someone who is.
If this is as he describes it, it'll be tempting to put it on auction with a penny starting bid, just for the fun of it.

Thought I'd mention it here to hear any opinions, just in case anyone says anything I haven't already considered.
Shoot it?
Sell it?
Stash it in the back of the safe and let it age like wine?

Anyone want to venture a guess at market value for something like this?

(I know we all love photos...this is NOT the one I'm buying, but the same era and box.  I am HOPING this is what I'll see when we finally meet.)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless it's serial number 000001 I wouldn't pay more than $500 for that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Got 900 for one just like it 4 years ago. What does that tell you. One in picture will bring 1000 now to the right buyer if all is in the box. Test target and docks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it check all the boxes as a shooter? You could probably sell it and pick up a newer CPO or used gun and have money left over but whether or not it's worth it is up to you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful handgun I wouldn’t shoot I’d stick it in the back of the safe
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I would FO in 2 seconds

Paid 650 for this 1988 West German 226 about 2 years ago, with 4 original zipper back mags, test target etc.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice,

I have a Herndon P220, old bar dot sights, more acurate than my Exeter P220.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless it’s some special edition, the P226 is simply just to common to have collector value.

That’s not to say some yahoo won’t pay more for it just for being “unfired” since the factory. So if you’re looking to make some money, sure go ahead and try.

Frankly, if it’s old enough to predate the move to the stainless slide (it’s still a pinned block with an internal extractor), it may be in your best interest to flip it since you can’t find parts anymore.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does it check all the boxes as a shooter? You could probably sell it and pick up a newer CPO or used gun and have money left over but whether or not it's worth it is up to you.
View Quote

This is the direction I'm leaning. I love classic Sigs--my P220 gets almost as much range time as my 1911s--but for a shooter, I'd like to mod this one slightly (SRT at a minimum), and I'd probably feel better playing around with a newer, more used gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
are all the parts, barrel,frame and slide correctly serial numbered? Are the correct proof marks present .Also I have not seen a West German SIG that was not roll marked as such..
View Quote

Finally got to meet the seller this AM and the pistol was as described--appears to be factory fresh in the box, with docs and test target, two 'dovetail" mags...
More pics when I have a chance, but the date code is JK (1989), and it is "Made in W.Germany."
(The red in the corner of the slide is not rust--it's lint from the red lining in the box.)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah.
So, I'm satisfied with the purchase.  :)
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats! Shoot it!

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't listen to the $500 guys, that thing will be worth quite a bit more than that to a "Sig" guy that is stuck in 1990 thinking everything they make these days is junk in comparison.

Or it will be a great shooter.

Either way, good pickup.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice gun!
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Great buy.  I was mentally wondering to myself just this evening - how much is Sig driving down the value of their guns given the recent years of selling a lot in the LEO market, and having them flood the used market now at sub $500 prices.  I think guns like yours will always have value to collectors, but I think the overall value of Sigs is dropping given the recent flood.  For what it's worth, I got a new in box law enforcement 229 a couple months ago for $500; picking up a $400 226 in .40 next week.  But I would have jumped all over a West German Sig like yours at that price, and will continue to do so.  However, I think we will see a future market where used sigs are in the 4-500 price range, given the available volume.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Great buy.  I was mentally wondering to myself just this evening - how much is Sig driving down the value of their guns given the recent years of selling a lot in the LEO market, and having them flood the used market now at sub $500 prices.  I think guns like yours will always have value to collectors, but I think the overall value of Sigs is dropping given the recent flood.  For what it's worth, I got a new in box law enforcement 229 a couple months ago for $500; picking up a $400 226 in .40 next week.  But I would have jumped all over a West German Sig like yours at that price, and will continue to do so.  However, I think we will see a future market where used sigs are in the 4-500 price range, given the available volume.
View Quote

That's kinda what I'm hoping.  I was looking for a decent shooter-grade when I stumbled on this.
Typical cop guns (carried much, fired little) would be right up my alley. If the price of shooters drops a little, I'll be a happy camper.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:34:20 AM EDT
[#22]
would have bought that all day long, biggest danger to future value is Joe Biden confiscating them...  otherwise I would keep it unfired and hope the market rebounds.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#23]
That was a score,congrats. I don't know what the future holds for the older models,as far as being worth more, to me it would be a shooter. If it was a NIB P228, well that may be a different story. Either way, you got a great deal and a pistol that will be good to go for a lifetime.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thats been happening for 15-20yrs.

Look up some CDNN ads in shotgun news from 2000-2005. $250 226's for years.

I wouldnt worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#26]
That was exactly my first pistol back in 86. Never burped in thousands of rounds. See if you can find some zipper back 20's for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top