Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2019 1:01:46 AM EDT
What's the proper readily-accessible holster setup for around 20F or lower (down to 0F), with blowing snow and high winds?
At the moment I've got a good OWB Safariland ALS holster - works great, but I suspect it could ice over and cease to work if carried openly. If jacket is open, I'm probably going to get too cold (see high winds) - otherwise, I'd just carry with open jacket close to the body, where body heat would keep it plenty warm.
I've got a HPG runner's bag of some kind that will easily fit my gun - that could work.
Considering UM84, as flap holsters have historically worked well to protect guns from harsh conditions, while sacrificing some draw speed. Also, not too expensive.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 1:31:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I like my Kitbag, as you mention. It would certainly keep the weapon well protected, and is readily accessible.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 2:05:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the hill people on ski trips for my G20 but the kenai just under jacket looks better
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

Definitely not quick to draw, especially when under my shell but i have a rifle in my hands.

If im just woods bumming ill either carry in my normal aiwb holster or a bianchi flap holster or a threepersons holster.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep a big pistol on the hip under the layers, and a small pistol in whatever pocket my hand goes in for warmth. When I take a backpack, a rifle goes in it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I've read your OP a few times and I'm not sure what you're asking.

What specifically are you after; gun protection or preventing the gun from getting down to ambient temperature?
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've read your OP a few times and I'm not sure what you're asking.

What specifically are you after; gun protection or preventing the gun from getting down to ambient temperature?
View Quote
The gun should work fine regardless of temps, with a decent cold weather lube. I want a retention holster that has quick access if needed but won’t freeze in terrible conditions, leaving the gun stuck in the holster.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gunfighter's Inc. Kenai chest rig is what I use.
View Quote
This. Our bears have denned up for winter so not a big concern and can keep under jacket, zipped up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This. Our bears have denned up for winter so not a big concern and can keep under jacket, zipped up.
View Quote
It just occurred to me that hibernation is actually a thing up here. I am pretty dumb sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Hill People Gear Kitbag is my go to for most outdoor activities.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#11]
As with everybody else, it's the HPG kitbag. Now they even make it in a blue (which I got rid of my green and orange bags for) so you don't have to look like a gun dude or dudette.

I use mine for fly fishing as well, just looks like another fishing pack.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]
HPG or a Wilderness Tactical Safepacker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top