Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2022 12:40:26 AM EDT
I've been carrying for over 20 years, but always strong side on the belt or IWB.  I came to the conclusion a few years ago that I needed more practice drawing from concealment while wearing multiple layers under a heavy coat.  Fast forward to now, and I'm still not 100% happy on my cold weather draw speed and am thinking of having a coat pocket gun for when I walk the dog and do other stop outdoors for a while in the cold.   I have a Kahr CM9 collecting dust that seems like a decent candidate.  My question is, what type of holster (if any) would you recommend for this type of carry?

I've never used a pocket holster, but am assuming that they are designed for pants pockets.  Would you use one for a coat pocket?  Any specific model?  How about a trigger bikini instead?

Or would it be safe to carry the CM9 (trigger like a DA revolver) naked in a coat pocket provided that the pocket is otherwise empty?

Just to clarify, I would still have a gun on my belt.  This would just be an additional gun that might be easier/quicker to draw.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a soft Uncle Mike’s so I can reach the trigger while still in the holster in case I need to fire through the pocket. That’s the way I coat carry.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally, I would not pocket-carry a striker-fired pistol.

My favorite pocket holsters so far are by Kramer Horsehide.

Whatever you get, make sure it’s rigidly molded for your specific gun, and that the trigger guard is completely covered. Cheap, flexible, generic holsters that don’t prevent the trigger from being pulled are no bueno.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My favorite pocket holsters so far are by Kramer Horsehide.

Whatever you get, make sure it’s rigidly molded for your specific gun, and that the trigger guard is completely covered. Cheap, flexible, generic holsters that don’t prevent the trigger from being pulled are no bueno.
View Quote

Why is that?

I have plenty of hammer fired pistols, but no small DA ones.  I thought that the Kahr's revilver-like trigger would work well for this purpose.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

As if pocket carry is any different from waist band carry with the right holster.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Triggerguard with a lanyard.

The lanyard can be short enough to be attached to a button sewed inside your pocket.

Rigged that up for walking my pup after a coyote snatched a friends dog while he was walking it.

This was in a rural area where leashes aren’t necessary.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I have some kydex and am going to make a trigger bikini for the Kahr this weekend, but I would also like to try a pocket holster.  Are there any pocket holsters that are specifically designed for larger coat pockets, or are they all pretty much the same?
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I pocket carry with a Recluse
The polyurethane form that fits in the trigger guard is a different concept from simply covering the trigger guard like every other holster does, but if you look at it closely you'll see that it's very secure. The thing I like about it is, when you grab the gun, the holster disengages from it and stays in your pocket. While there are different standard shapes to fit different pocket sizes, I'm sure they would make one to specifically fit your coat pocket if necessary.

Link Posted: 1/15/2022 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I pocket carry with a Recluse
The polyurethane form that fits in the trigger guard is a different concept from simply covering the trigger guard like every other holster does, but if you look at it closely you'll see that it's very secure. The thing I like about it is, when you grab the gun, the holster disengages from it and stays in your pocket. While there are different standard shapes to fit different pocket sizes, I'm sure they would make one to specifically fit your coat pocket if necessary.

View Quote

I would second this. I have a recluse for my G42. Might try it out for a coat pocket carry.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Coat pocket carry screams concealed hammer revolver.  No holster needed.  It’s very comforting having a full firing grip on your concealed revolver while walking past nefarious looking creatures.  Shoot from your pocket if needed and no worries about malfunctions (unless material gets stuck in the cylinder).
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Coat pocket carry screams concealed hammer revolver.  No holster needed.  It’s very comforting having a full firing grip on your concealed revolver while walking past nefarious looking creatures.  Shoot from your pocket if needed and no worries about malfunctions (unless material gets stuck in the cylinder).
View Quote

Not me. If it's in my pocket or on my body, but not in my hand, the trigger is protected. Always. And the holster orients the gun the same way all the time, no flopping around. I agree with the part about discreetly having the gun in your hand if necessary. It's one of the reasons I like pocket carry, and it can be done with the recluse.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I once used an old coat to try firing different pistols from inside the pocket.  Automatics consistently fired the chambered round and failed to eject the fired case.  

The J-frame revolver worked without fail.  I fired practice ammo and the poly/wool coat smothered.  I wish I'd had some +P rounds to see if they would have produced a fire.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I once used an old coat to try firing different pistols from inside the pocket.  Automatics consistently fired the chambered round and failed to eject the fired case.  

The J-frame revolver worked without fail.  I fired practice ammo and the poly/wool coat smothered.  I wish I'd had some +P rounds to see if they would have produced a fire.
View Quote
Some friends and I have gotten old jackets and sweatshirts from thrift stores and done this several times.

1. Shrouded-hammer revolvers are the only reliable firearms for this.

2. It's really difficult to hit anything more than a couple feet away.

3. Once in a while you'll set your coat on fire.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some friends and I have gotten old jackets and sweatshirts from thrift stores and done this several times.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this is true.  I use the J frame to give me time to get to the better option riding IWB
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the input.  A shrouded hammer j frame definitely see,s ideal for this, but I don't have one.  I'm going to a gunshot on Saturday and will keep an eye out for a deal.

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:25:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Sticky Holster. (The brand)

I have one for my G26. Works great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top