Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2019 10:15:43 AM EDT
I read this archived thread a long time ago, and have been intrigued.  Unfortunately the pics have been killed by Photobucket

I bought a second pistol (police trade in) for a host, and have finally scheduled out some time to work on it this weekend.

Before I make the cuts, are there any tips and tricks from those who have done it?

@Kuraki

Edit: 11-1 title updated.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh, and is an X-grip or similar necessary for using a full sized mag, or can an unaltered mag work?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a blast from the past

The magazine sleeve isn't really necessary particularly if you're slamming a mag in with the slide forward. I think there's some danger to over inserting with the slide locked back.

My main tip is measure carefully, use a band of tape around the grip and saw oversize, then trim to fit with a file. You'll be left with a gap where the takedown tool should go, I made an aluminum filler and attached with a 10-32 screw (threads right in to takedown tool hole).  I know some guys just shortened the tool and glued it in as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Great thanks for the tip.

I can't see the pics from the old thread.  Did you cut a shelf in the grip in lieu of frame tool?  Or did you do a flat cut across the bottom?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I cut flat across the bottom and made a spacer to replace the frame tool.

I'll try and find my pictures.  I would take new ones, but I sold the gun some time ago.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
So  I did the bob tonight, saving the grip chop for this weekend.

It was actually a lot easier than I anticipated.  I had toyed with the idea of pulling out the dremel, but am glad I didn't.

I used a hacksaw to cut the majority of it off.

Attachment Attached File

I then used 100 sandpaper to smooth it out and rough in the shape.

Attachment Attached File

I finished with 220 as that is the finest I have right now.

Attachment Attached File

I might get some 400 and smooth it out a little more, but it looks and feels pretty good as it is.  I blackened it with a sharpie to take the gray out.

Hope do the grip chop tomorrow or Saturday.  Trying to decide still if I should do a flat cut, or a shelf cut to take the space of the grip tool.

I remember reading about, but can't find where again, someone cut the FS grip tool down to still fit and hold the backstrap on.  I don't remember if it retained a friction fit, or if he glued it in.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#6]
A red scotchbrite pad after 320 or 400 grit will blend the finish with the factory finish pretty well.

Good call leaving the dremel alone. Far better to do this by hand.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I found 2 pictures.  Don't know how helpful they'll be but they're all I've got on this backup hard drive.

Link Posted: 11/1/2019 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Chop and bob is finished!

I still need to install the apex DCAEK tomorrow, but the surface work is done!

I didn't take as many progress pics this time as I was focused on getting it done.

I decided to go for the shelf cut for 2 reasons.  1). I wasn't sure how I would make a spacer or alter the grip tool; 2). I can always cut more off, but it is a lot harder to put more on...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Way I went about it was to measure the difference between the full and compact size magazine, and then subtract the height of the grip tool.

I measured that on the frame, marked it with blue painters tape, and did a flat cut all the way across with the hacksaw.

Then mark the rear of the frame with what I wanted to leave behind, blue tape again, and cut more off with the hacksaw.

I intentionally left some material behind and then worked at it with 100 gt. sandpaper until I could seat the compact mag.

Finished it again with 220 (I went to Menards today, and forgot to look for 400gt )

This was all done with the back strap removed.  Once I got the mag to seat, I put the backstrap back on and cut the rubber with a knife.

To attach the backstrap I got a 10-32 x 5/8" screw.  I had to open the hole in the backstrap a little with a drill to counter sink it.

Attachment Attached File

Family pic:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 12:00:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Thank you for the support and the inspiration.

Title changed!
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I was wondering how this was going to turn out as I have never heard of someone chopping a M&P. It came out great! I am assuming it uses gen 1 compact magazines?
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, I'm using Gen 1 compact mag.

I had thought about using a 2.0 15rd compact mag, but decided the difference in size wasn't worth it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#13]
well done.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
well done.
View Quote
Thank you!

I just finished installing the Apex DCAEK. Now I just need to go out and shoot it!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Shameless bump to keep from archives.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Another shameless bump.

I've been carrying this daily since November, and I am really happy with it!
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Very cool. I love the way the M&P's look and feel, I wish I shot them better than I do.  I did this mod to a G-23 several years ago.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:27:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:

I might get some 400 and smooth it out a little more, but it looks and feels pretty good as it is.  I blackened it with a sharpie to take the gray out.
View Quote

600 sandpaper is what you seek (get it at the automotive shop over by the paint and body work section). Takes a while but the finish comes out super smooth.
Also the gray will come out if you buff it w a little CLP.

Chop job looks really good! Well done!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bryan_Aim:
i did the same thing but yours looks better
View Quote

Haha thanks. I actually  picked that pistol up from you/Aim before I moved up here when I lived in OH.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#21]
My chopped and bobbed M&P 40 has been my constant companion for 9 years now.  I usually carry it with the short 10 rd mag and spare 10 rdr.  I also keep a 15rd mag with a spacer in the door of my truck.  

Sorry for the potato pics:  Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#22]
FWIW to you or anyone else reading, particularly with an M&P, you definitely want that mag spacer to use the full size mags.  If you seat a full size mag with the slide locked back and no spacer, it's very, very easy to insert it past the magazine catch, far enough that it's not exactly fast and easy to unfuck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top