Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2022 6:39:44 AM EDT
I don’t own any revolvers but I’ve wanted a Colt Python since I was a young kid watching “Spenser for Hire” reruns with my Dad. I have a chance to get  a Python and can choose from either a 6” blued model or an 8” nickel gun. Both are like new with box and papers. They are both gorgeous pieces and I’d like to get both but I really don’t need either, much less both.

So, decisions, decisions. Which should I choose?
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#1]
For me it would have to be the 6 inch blued one. Total grail gun for me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd rather buy a new one if I was going to shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#3]
4 inch
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4 inch
View Quote

4” isn’t an option in this situation and even if it was, I wouldn’t want it. Maybe if I was planning to carry it, but I have much better options for carry.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd go 4" and it' on my list of things to pick up this year.

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd buy the 4.25 inch blued model.   I have an older 6" bright stainless Python.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Of the two 6” but I want one of the new ones in 3”

I think 6” is a great balancing gun 8” is a bit nose heavy. Either should make for a fine edition to the collection. Blue imo makes the decision easier they did great on there nickel but that beautiful blue I’d kind of there signature
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

4” isn’t an option in this situation and even if it was, I wouldn’t want it. Maybe if I was planning to carry it, but I have much better options for carry.
View Quote

6 inch then.  More versatile in my opinion

I love the Python. Currently own two

One made in 1969 and one in 1971

Both 4 inch.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I know how to read OP, so, out of the 2 you have to choose from, a 6" blued or an 8" nickel (not a 4" or a 4.25"), I personally, think the 6" blued is the more "classic look".

If it were me though, I'd get the 4"
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#11]
The 6" blued is more practical but I'd definitely go with the 8" nickel given the choice of those two. Then you need to shave your head and buy a leather trench coat. Yeah, Spenser for Hire is why I want a Python too. I'll probably wind up with a 6" stainless and polish it. If I stumble onto a 8" nickel for a good price at some point I'll grab it.

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
4 inch

Buy a new 4" for $1400

And unless you have a 3" python then you don't have a better option.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#13]
6" blued would easily win that debate if it were me. I'd rather have the 6" barrel and I'd rather have blued. You're not me though. Pick the one YOU prefer. Just know that if you go with the 8" nickel you're wrong
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd go 6" blued out of those choices. 8" is just too long for me
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#15]
6” blued
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Python purchases are wants, like which one do I want now and which one can wait till later.

Attachment Attached File

An 8" is a sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Python purchases are wants, like which one do I want now and which one can wait till later.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180908/20210604_102924_jpg-2450825.JPG

View Quote

Nice! I don't understand all the dislike for longer barrels in this thread. OP said it won't be for carry. My first handgun was a 8-3/8" S&W .44 magnum which I stupidly sold years ago. Recently I've been trying to decide if I want a used S&W just like it or a new Anaconda 8".

ETA: also can't decide if I "need " another .44 or a Python first.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nice! I don't understand all the dislike for longer barrels in this thread. OP said it won't be for carry. My first handgun was a 8-3/8" S&W .44 magnum which I stupidly sold years ago. Recently I've been trying to decide if I want a used S&W just like it or a new Anaconda 8".

View Quote

I want them all

3" python and the 8" anaconda are both on the list.

I'm glad the desert eagle platform has calibers and barrels that are easily interchangeable. My 4 different 10" barrels for that would have been pretty pricey to buy an entire gun each time.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I want them all

I'm glad the desert eagle platform has calibers and barrels that are easily interchangeable. My 4 different 10" barrels for that would have been pretty pricey to buy an entire gun each time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want them all

All is the correct number for sure. I’ve got a 2 1/2 and an 8” had a 6 I let get away. I’d like a 3 for carry.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180908/20210604_102924_jpg-2450825.JPG

View Quote

Brother, that picture just made up my mind!
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I like blued finishes better than stainless as far as overall prettiness. I'd get the 6" blued of those two choices. But I also like long barrels, so if you like long barrels more than a particular finish, get that.

I just got a monstrously huge S&W 29 with the 8 3/8 barrel. It is my first revolver (not counting the j-frame I got rid of because I couldn't hit crap). It sure looks cool, should make 1400 fps without excessive loads for deer hunting, has a ton of heft so hopefully recoil won't be that bad, and it sure looks cool.

I figure if I actually get into revolver shooting regularly, I can always pick up another model 29 with a 4 inch barrel. I might get that in nickel just to change things up.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#22]
4" for Magnum Force/ Barry Burton vibes.

6" for Rick Grimes vibes.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Of the two you mention, the 6" blued.  Ideally, for me, an older 6" stainless, which is what I have.  Nicest looking are the older 4" and 6" blued models. If the new ones are less likely to go out of whack and need timing adjusted, then perhaps one of those, or better yet, an older 4" S&W 686, since the new Colts don't have any nostagic appeal.

If all you're going to do is stare at it, then buy the one that best reminds you of whatever era you're trying to go back to. Alcohol and dvds of old episodes can help with that too.  I don't do drugs, but I think they may also add to the experience.  

Back then, I believe I had a poster of Heather Thomas in a pink bikini, and another of a Lamborghini Countach on my bedroom wall.  I'm not sure I'd want Heather now, and I still can't afford the Countach; neither the original nor the remake!

Good luck!

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#24]
If you just want it because and are mostly going to look at it (as opposed to shoot it) I get the 6" blue model. Visually, nothing is more sexy then that one.

if you want something to shoot, I get the new model 4.25"
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you just want it because and are mostly going to look at it (as opposed to shoot it) I get the 6" blue model. Visually, nothing is more sexy then that one.

if you want something to shoot, I get the new model 4.25"
View Quote

My favorite overall is the 6” nickel but that’s not an option in this case. This won’t be a carry gun but I will shoot it occasionally. I wouldn’t really be interested a Python under 6” at all.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My favorite overall is the 6” nickel but that’s not an option in this case. This won’t be a carry gun but I will shoot it occasionally. I wouldn’t really be interested a Python under 6” at all.
View Quote

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and shootability is in the hand of the shooter. I stated my preferences (perfect IMO would be a 5" blued Python) but not my gun and your options are limited apparently so go with what's best for you and/or floats your boat the most?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Did you decide?

Can I buy the one you don't get?

I'm also in KY.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a '68 Blued 6"bbl, BUY IT!  Python blueing is legendary, NONE better!
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought my Python pre-owned but pretty much unshot in Chicago in 1985 for $400. It was shot over 20,000 rounds by me and a friend who borrowed it for state matches. The bulk of the rounds fired were in .38 Special. It became a gift to my son when he graduated police academy and is still going strong.
Nowadays a box of .357 Magnum costs about $40 and 20,000 rounds will cost you about $16,000. I reload but factoring the time in, there are no savings.

Stay clear of the guns that were made when Colt fired the UAW workers.

Link Posted: 8/27/2022 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#30]
For me when choosing gun finishes for top of the line guns I choose blued first , stainless second and I really try to avoid nickel . A perfect nickel gun can look decent but with any amount of hard use or minor abuse it goes to crap and there are no good fixes for it .

Note: some of the high polish stainless guns are difficult to tell apart from nickel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#31]
If talking "original" Colt then you have to get the blue for sure.
The Colt quality and bluing of those original can't be replicated.
Old and new SS look about the same.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If talking "original" Colt then you have to get the blue for sure.
The Colt quality and bluing of those original can't be replicated.
Old and new SS look about the same.
View Quote

The vintage bright nickel finish Pythons really look nothing like the modern stainless guns.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Sadly I don't own any Pythons anymore, but I do own 1 each of both generations of Anaconda, and aesthetically the 8" guns win hands down on the sexy scale. The bonus is they are pretty nice shooters as well................
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I want a new one in 6”
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#35]
If a new one, I would only want a 4'' or shorter one in Royal blue.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Here’s a pic of all common barrels lengths in blue & nickel. The 3 in the middle are the new stainless guns. The bottom guns are Diamondbacks.

This is a shot of the new stainless 6” with an old model 6” blued one from 1959.

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#37]
The original pythons had such SMOOTH action

I wish I had bought one years ago

Heck a 4 inch python was twice as much as my S&W 586 lol

Somewhere I read that Colt made a run of 3 inch 38 special only pythons
I would have loved to bought one of those

The six inch that Hutch carried on Starsky and Hutch was beautiful also
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Colt only made the 38 special in the 8” version, both blue and nickel as shown above. The 3” “combat pythons” in 357 were a special run and command a substantial premium in today’s market.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#39]
FWIW they only made 8" nickel for one year and as an enduring investment is far rarer than most Python variants
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#40]
True on the nickel 38, I think it was just over 200 made. Quite a few didn’t survive in the 8” configuration as people bought them at a discount and changed them to shorter 357’s. There was even a company that bought quite a few and converted them to 41 magnum. Ive seen original nickel 38’s go for well in excess of $7k on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 4:23:42 AM EDT
[#41]
I have one of each... if I only would keep one, it would be blued 6"...

I can only imagine how many rounds that blued one has down the pipe since it was born in the "50s...
I have only shot 38 through it. If I wanted to shoot a ton of rounds, I would probably buy a new one but I don't see that happening...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top