Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2021 3:26:06 PM EDT
Local shop has a Charles Day Hi Power on consignment.  Looks like a quality gun, and I was surprised to see Made in USA on the frame.  It has a nice set of checkered Walnut grips, and what look like XS sights.  Excellent condition.  Also has the typically bad Hi Power trigger.

I no nothing about these guns, I suspect it’s better than an FM but not as good as a Browning.  Anyone have one, or know about them?

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I mean, they are copies of the original... The ones ive seen are pretty good. What are they asking for it? Pre covid, I would expect a clean one to get about $500 bucks or so... These days, im not even sure...
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The Charles Daly Hi Powers were supposedly first imported Hungarian FEG pistols.  I read Charles Daly was owned by KBI who imported many FEG Hi Powers.  I read the Charles Daly Hi Powers were assembled in the US using FEG parts.  I also read once where Charles Daly was bought out by Dan Wesson/Cz  but I have no first hand proof.

Everything I’ve read indicates the Charles Daly Hi Powers are good pistols and most parts interchange with the FN/Browning Hi Power.   The FEG Hi Powers have used some cast frames and I’ve read where some Charles Daly Hi Powers might not have as good fit and finish as a Browning imported Hi Power.  The Charles Daly usually sell for a good bit less than a Browning or FN Hi Power.   I still kick myself for trading off my Hi Power.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:12:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Warhawk] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Voland:
I mean, they are copies of the original... The ones ive seen are pretty good. What are they asking for it? Pre covid, I would expect a clean one to get about $500 bucks or so... These days, im not even sure...
View Quote

You nailed it, $500.  It’s like new, so I’m sure it’s worth that.  I’d want to customize it a bit, just want to make sure it’s a solid platform for that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By VASCAR2:
The Charles Daly Hi Powers were supposedly first imported Hungarian FEG pistols.  I read Charles Daly was owned by KBI who imported many FEG Hi Powers.  I read the Charles Daly Hi Powers were assembled in the US using FEG parts.  I also read once where Charles Daly was bought out by Dan Wesson/Cz  but I have no first hand proof.

Everything I’ve read indicates the Charles Daly Hi Powers are good pistols and most parts interchange with the FN/Browning Hi Power.   The FEG Hi Powers have used some cast frames and I’ve read where some Charles Daly Hi Powers might not have as good fit and finish as a Browning imported Hi Power.  The Charles Daly usually sell for a good bit less than a Browning or FN Hi Power.   I still kick myself for trading off my Hi Power.
View Quote

Thanks, I may go back tomorrow and get it.  I would want to change it up a bit.

Trigger job
Remove magazine disconnect
Hard chrome the frame
Better rear sight (it has one of those shallow V sights, express sights)
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
You may still be able to get information on it on the browning hi-power site if that site is still up.  I had a Daly that was very good, besides my browning HP's at the time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The Daly has a rather long and convoluted history.  They began as FEGs that were assembled by Dan Wesson (the first 1500 or so) and then Magnum Research (the last 2500 or so).  Daly wanted to make what they thought would  be the perfect HP.  They lost their shirt on the project, eventually it took the company down.  Some have thought that some parts were made over here but that frankly would have made no economic sense.  FEG had been building HPs for ages and knew what they were doing.  My take has always been they were FEG parts finished over here, like Springers were Brazilian parts finished in Genneseo.  

They turn up from time to time.  I've never actually laid hands on one; I've chased a couple on Gunbroker but always backed out.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember those. Quality was decent but not great. Hated the sights but the safety design was one of the best HP safeties (at least for user friendliness, I think they were a bit fragile). I bought a FM instead as it seemed higher quality but should have bought a FN based on the prices back then.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I bought it, nice gun, operates very smoothly.  Planning to hard chrome the frame for looks, and do a trigger job.  I'll probably try one of the drop in triggers from C&S.

I'll get some pics up soon.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:10:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Warhawk] [#9]
It’s on of the later guns made by Magnum Research.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Try the safety test?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DCopp:
Try the safety test?
View Quote

Enlighten me?  This is my first Hi Power.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Good choice, OP.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By xoldsmugglerx:

Those are some REALLY nice grips! I would love a set for my FN hi power. I'm assuming they're aftermarket?
View Quote

Agreed, those may be Craig Spegel Cocobolos. Are the stamped on the inside surface with any maker info?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#15]
i had ordered a few from Davidsons when they were being brought in.  Story i got at the time was they were mainly Israeli parts assembled here with XS sights on them.  They all shot well.  Only one needed serious break in, but after 100 rounds it was cycling just fine.  The sights were made more for speed than accuracy was the only thing i didn't like about them, but that is XS big dot sights purpose i guess.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 9:44:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mace2364] [#16]
Originally Posted By Warhawk:
Well I bought it, nice gun, operates very smoothly.  Planning to hard chrome the frame for looks, and do a trigger job.  I'll probably try one of the drop in triggers from C&S.

I'll get some pics up soon.
View Quote

I realize that I’m way late here, but if you’re going to change out the sights, I’d love to buy those XS sights from you.

@Warhawk
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 1:01:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mace2364:

I realize that I’m way late here, but if you’re going to change out the sights, I’d love to buy those XS sights from you.

@Warhawk
View Quote

After “discovering” the HK VP9, I’ll probably sell this one.

Link Posted: 7/13/2021 1:14:45 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

If you decide to do so, please let me know.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

SAme same, let me know
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By jeffb1911:
i had ordered a few from Davidsons when they were being brought in.  Story i got at the time was they were mainly Israeli parts assembled here with XS sights on them.  They all shot well.  Only one needed serious break in, but after 100 rounds it was cycling just fine.  The sights were made more for speed than accuracy was the only thing i didn't like about them, but that is XS big dot sights purpose i guess.
View Quote

That’s where I got mine when they first hit the market. IIRC, I paid less than $300 for it. Still NIB unfired by me all these years later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top