BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2020 7:12:29 AM EDT
I'm going to be sending a slide out for milling and in general
prefer to go with a Nitride type oe finish but...add 8 weeks for
turnaround, shit, that's a long time.
I dont have a lot of experience with Cerakote, it looks good
but seems to show holster wear kind of quickly.
Input's appreciated
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:31:50 AM EDT
[#1]
nitride will be much much more durable.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Not even a question.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm going to be sending a slide out for milling and in general
prefer to go with a Nitride type oe finish but...add 8 weeks for
turnaround, shit, that's a long time.
I dont have a lot of experience with Cerakote, it looks good
but seems to show holster wear kind of quickly.
Input's appreciated
View Quote
Nitride is more durable when it comes to a kydex holster, cerakote is better in moisture. Meet in the middle and get a leather or hybrid holster or let it wear and it will be a testament of use. I don't mind mine wearing at all but understand others want perfection.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#4]
IMO guns fall into two categories for me, tools or collectors items.

If its a collectors piece you shouldn't be milling it in the first place.

if its not a collector item its likely a cheaper production pistol and is a tool and should treated as such.
If its too nice of a gun to show visible wear buy a cheaper gun and mill/cerakote/carry that one.
The Cerakote will wear some but is still generally pretty durable. Plus they look good when they have some wear IMO
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nitride is more durable when it comes to a kydex holster, cerakote is better in moisture. Meet in the middle and get a leather or hybrid holster or let it wear and it will be a testament of use. I don't mind mine wearing at all but understand others want perfection.
View Quote
I live in South Louisiana, carry a pistol with a slide has an aftermarket nitride coating, have shot multiple classes in the rain, and my guns get very sweaty. I have never had an issue with the nitride slide corroding.

Unlike Cerakote, nitride is a metal treatment. It penetrates into the substrate.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I live in South Louisiana, carry a pistol with a slide has an aftermarket nitride coating, have shot multiple classes in the rain, and my guns get very sweaty. I have never had an issue with the nitride slide corroding.

Unlike Cerakote, nitride is a metal treatment. It penetrates into the substrate.
View Quote
Results may vary...I get several on my bench that do rust. I also get hunting rifles back and check where they meet the stock and it is a good tale.

Cerakote vs. Black Nitride. Corrosion Test (ASTM B117)
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice cerakote commercial
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Results may vary...I get several on my bench that do rust. I also get hunting rifles back and check where they meet the stock and it is a good tale.
View Quote
I can show you a commercial where Chevy says they are better than Ford, and another where Ford says they are better than Chevy.

I've seen cerakote, blued, parkerized, nitride, duracoat, and QPQ parts rust. It's steel...

Holsters typically wear the finish on firearms through friction. Cerakote often gets eaten up. If you want to talk about rifles and shotguns, I might opt for cerakote. Handguns? I'll stick with nitride.

Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a glock 19 that’s had 3 cerakote jobs on it. Nitride is much much better. I’d wait to be honest
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#11]
A company named Jerger will Nitrate for around 50 bucks on a Glock slide and it looks and will wear like fact , Ceracoat  will wear off quick on a hand gun .
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I can show you a commercial where Chevy says they are better than Ford, and another where Ford says they are better than Chevy.

I've seen cerakote, blued, parkerized, nitride, duracoat, and QPQ parts rust. It's steel...

Holsters typically wear the finish on firearms through friction. Cerakote often gets eaten up. If you want to talk about rifles and shotguns, I might opt for cerakote. Handguns? I'll stick with nitride.

http://i.imgbox.com/KD1cDDmW
http://i.imgbox.com/jpXZVL6r
View Quote
I get that and I am not a Nic salesperson either. What I am saying is I do literally hundreds of guns a year and many of those are nitride and I see the corrosion on my bench and when I get the cerakote guns back to service I do not. This is my personal experiences and nothing more.  Kydex is cerakotes arch nemesis.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I get that and I am not a Nic salesperson either. What I am saying is I do literally hundreds of guns a year and many of those are nitride and I see the corrosion on my bench and when I get the cerakote guns back to service I do not. This is my personal experiences and nothing more.  Kydex is cerakotes arch nemesis.
View Quote
What you see is hundreds of guns that were not taken care of. Doesn't matter what the coating is.

You acknowledge that cerakote and kydex don't play well and I'm saying that nitride and kydex get along great. It may not be the best a repelling water, but from normal use in a very humid environment, including extreme cases in thunderstorms, nitride holds up well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What you see is hundreds of guns that were not taken care of. Doesn't matter what the coating is.

You acknowledge that cerakote and kydex don't play well and I'm saying that nitride and kydex get along great. It may not be the best a repelling water, but from normal use in a very humid environment, including extreme cases in thunderstorms, nitride holds up well.
View Quote
I agree
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
And it's not even close.

My M9a3 slide's tan cerakote had more holster wear after 1 year of regular use than my M9 slide's bruniton had after 12 years of regular use. Anybody tells you cerakote has any durability at all, they're probably selling it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Nitride by a mile. I can't add more than what others have.

Fyi, I just had a G17 slude milled, nitrided and shipped back in less right at 4 weeks. One to two weeks faster than quoted lead time.

In other words, look at your options. It wait on your current vendor.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns8PkpYgHdA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns8PkpYgHdA
Yeah, SCRATCH the barrels and you'll find that Cerakote is just paint with a few extra steps...............
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been using KG Gunkote quite a bit lately and like it but it also wears in a kydex holster. I have done no scientific tests but it seems more durable than cerakote.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes it will.  Cerakote is just a fancy paint.

I recently had my slide milled and nitrided,  the wait sucks but its worth it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why hasn’t anyone suggested get both yet?
View Quote
Because you have to blast parts prior to cerakote. Nitride changes the substrate, but blasting it just to coat it with something we have already concluded is prone to holster wear, isn't something I would recommend.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the feedback, pretty much what I thought it would be...
I've got a Colt 1911 that SACS did for me a few years ago that is
Cerakoted over parkerize and it's held up pretty well with minimal
holster wear, but that's been carried in a Milt Sparks at 3:30,
now I carry AIWB pretty much 100% in a JMCK 2.0 so I'll see
how the Cerakote holds up, Primary Machine is doing the work,
I'm sure the prep and application will be done properly.
If I'm not happy with it down the road, I'll get it refinished,
I'm kind of anxious to try the 507C.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback, pretty much what I thought it would be...
I've got a Colt 1911 that SACS did for me a few years ago that is
Cerakoted over parkerize and it's held up pretty well with minimal
holster wear, but that's been carried in a Milt Sparks at 3:30,
now I carry AIWB pretty much 100% in a JMCK 2.0 so I'll see
how the Cerakote holds up, Primary Machine is doing the work,
I'm sure the prep and application will be done properly.
If I'm not happy with it down the road, I'll get it refinished,
I'm kind of anxious to try the 507C.
View Quote
I don't think you will have issues either way. Primary Machine does good work.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I hear ya on the treatment vs coating...
my Dan Wesson Duty Treated guns
seem bullet proof.
And look great.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The idea is to form an oxide on the surface...iron oxide...
View Quote
1. Cerakote isn't Polymer.
2. The goal of salt bath nitriding is not to form iron oxide on the exterior of the part...
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's a ceramic based coating. Hence CERAkote. Not polymer.
Also you never, ever bead blast cerakoted parts. Aluminum Oxide only.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cerakote is a spray-on polymer finish that requires thoroughly degreasing the gun, bead blasting, and then applying it like a paint.
It's a ceramic based coating. Hence CERAkote. Not polymer.
Also you never, ever bead blast cerakoted parts. Aluminum Oxide only.
Looks like he said blast prior to coating.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Looks like he said blast prior to coating.
View Quote
Yes, what Bruce is stating is that you never bead blast for cerakote prep.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I've never been impressed with how Cerakote wears.

If it is done over existing anodizing or nitrocarbirizing, ok. But as the only layer?  No thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Cerakote is a ceramic filled epoxy system. GunKote is an epoxy system that has been on
the market since late last century and has ceramic filled an non filled formulations.

From observation Kydex holsters wear epoxy finishes sooner than leather. A theory on that is abrasive particles are more easily embedded in Kydex than leather.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top