Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Good belt and holster make a difference. Carried either my XD Service 45 or my XDm9 4.5" in my CBST. All day with no issues even in the Eastern NC heat.
Lately though I've been carry my Shield Plus with factory 15 round mags but still load up with the full size depending on where I am going.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Genin:
I find that a sturdy 1.75" belt, and a high quality holster works very well.  If you cheap out on either a study high quality belt or holster, things sag, and the sagging makes the pistol feel much heavier than it is.  A spare magazine or two on the opposite side of the piston will help balance things out.  I can't stress enough how big of a difference a stiff 1.75" belt makes in distributing the weight better.  The wider belt also doesn't feel as much like it is cutting into you.  

Horsehide belts seem stiffer for any given thickness than cow or steer hide. Double thicknesses of horse, cow, or steer hide will also help, but many holsters or belt loops won't accommodate a belt that thick.
View Quote

This is also what works best for me when carrying a fullsize 1911. The 1.75” wide belt works much better for handling the weight than my 1.5” belt, with the exception of Mean Gene Leather’s 1.5” belt. The problem, though, is that it may be difficult to find a good, comfortable, concealable holster that fits a 1.75” wide or thick 1.5” belt.

My favorite IWB holster is TTGunleather’s “Mike’s Special” at 3:00 to 4:30. I don’t need a 1.75” or ultra thick 1.5” belt for that combo.

For OWB, my favorite is Don Hume’s 721OT pancake holster. It’s comfortable and keeps the grip tighter to the body than any other OWB holster I’ve tried. But I prefer a wider or thicker belt to handle the weight of a heavy gun with any OWB holster. The trouble is that without filing and cutting the holster’s belt slots, it’s hard to fit that Don Hume holster even though it supposedly fits 1.75” belts. So I sacrificed a 1791 OWB pancake holster by cutting and filing its belt slots to fit my thicker Mean Gene belt. It’s just that my 1791 holster doesn’t tuck the grip in as much as the Don Hume holster.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 3:32:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By aggiehunt:
Who carries a full size gun and has found a way to do it somewhat comfortably?

I usually carry my G43 but have lately been wanting more capacity. I don’t have the funds right now to go pick up a 365 or Hellcat so I’ve carried my VP9 some (little bit bigger than a G19) in a crossbreed holster. Problem is, it’s so big and heavy that by about halfway thru the day I’m sick of it digging into my side and weighing my pants down. I have a decent belt. I hardly notice the G43 but the full size is just a whole different animal.

Any of you that carry a full size pistol have and tips to make it less annoying?
View Quote

I used to back in the day before I got much more chunky, a CZ SP01 Phantom in a High Noon Down Under IWB rig with a High Noon Rock Steady gun belt. The use of a high quality gun belt really made the difference.

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a Tenicor Malus Sol holster for G17, X300 and RMR w/ a Wilderness belt.  I carry at 3-4:00 with a button down cover shirt.  I have the same setup on a G19.5 but I prefer the full sized grip og the G17.5
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
229 in a Mitch Rosen presidential holster.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By leng:
I use a Tenicor Malus Sol holster for G17, X300 and RMR w/ a Wilderness belt.  I carry at 3-4:00 with a button down cover shirt.  I have the same setup on a G19.5 but I prefer the full sized grip og the G17.5
View Quote

The Malus Sol is an appendix carry rig. How is this actually comfortable at the 3-4:00 position? Seems counterintuitive, as there are far better options for this carry position, to include a more ergonomic draw angle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#7]
We are BLESSED in that our every day life is so good. We may find ourselves on the way to an airport or a grocery run. Random describes us and that presents a problem for my selection of and EDC set up. Crawling on/off on a tractor is far different than getting out of the Wifes' car with my head on a swivel. One is dangerous for a far different reason than the other. My age, shorts vs. pants, activity and much more present a circumstance I've not yet found a solution for.

My personal preference for comfort is a Shield IWC but with the "stretchy shorts" I prefer even that isn't ideal.
I'd like to find a way to IWB a full size M&P 9 without gouging my side when I'm mowing or on a creeper.
Changing clothes to go from "worker" to retired guy out for dinner is a PITA with bone spurs in my shoulder.
Around the house the Shield has been very easy on my physique. At my age and size comfort is #1.
Driving so many different vehicles is also an issue.

Strangely enough I bought a shoulder rig in 2010 for a trip to Alaska that served me very well in all conditions. Hmmm.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mhbaker81:

The Malus Sol is an appendix carry rig. How is this actually comfortable at the 3-4:00 position? Seems counterintuitive, as there are far better options for this carry position, to include a more ergonomic draw angle.
View Quote

I can carry it all day w/o issue.. its actually a much better alternative to what I had before, Bravo Concealment.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#9]

I can carry it all day w/o issue.. its actually a much better alternative to what I had before, Bravo Concealment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Interesting. Did you ever draw from that position? The straight angle seems like it would be awkward at the 4:00.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Interesting. Did you ever draw from that position? The straight angle seems like it would be awkward at the 4:00.
View Quote

Yes but more at the 3, vs 4.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m not a large guy, 6’ 165lb, I carry a 19 with a tlr1hl and a 508t IWB with an alien gear cloak tuck pretty comfortably. Long car rides I’ll take it off but he really aside from that it’s comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I rotate between carrying a P365X with a TLR-7 Sub and a Holosun HS507K, and a PF940v2 with a TLR-2 HLG.

1. Get a good gun belt with a steel core. I like my 14oz leather steel core belt from Bigfoot Gunbelts, but there are a number of companies making leather steel core belts and some of them offer nylon (or "tactical") belts.
2. Baggy clothing. I don't need to cinch my belt as tightly because I can throw a Hawaiian shirt or plaid shirt over my black T-shirt and it'll kill whatever little bit of printing is left.
3. The body fat is your friend, and I'm not joking. I'm a fat guy and I feel like it's more comfortable to carry because I don't have a gun pressing directly against my hip bone through a thin layer of skin and fat. I got the padding there to cushion it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Beretta 92 RDO in AIWB.  

Best enhancements are your wedges, or Dr Scholls gel shoe inserts.  Cut them to fit, and slap the Velcro on them.  Don’t be afraid to ‘stack’ your wedges either.  

Dremel for your Kydex holsters.  On the side that is against your body, you can decrease the width and footprint of the holster against you.  This slimmer profile will fit between the parts better.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Beretta 92 is very comfortable with this holster.

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#15]
what belt do you have? ive had a vp9 and they arent that heavy, ive carried a Cz shadow 2 and thats a heavy mf and still it wasnt that bad. i carry right side iwb or owb in a leather holster, i currently run an all metal frame baby desert eagle in 45acp with a spare mag and that isnt that heavy either.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top