Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2022 11:40:20 AM EDT
I have a Glock 19 w/ RMR and Surefire x300 with a T-Rex Sidecar holster.

It feels like a real chonk to carry.

I'm thinking about getting a TLR7a for it and a slimmer AIWB holster for it like a Vedder or something.

Has anyone else gone through this?  I'd like to carry the G19 more, do you all think this would help?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, TLR7a is GTG and will lighten things up and make for a smaller footprint.

You don't get the 1000 lumens out of the TLR7 but honestly i don't think that much light is needed unless you're outdoors and at longer distances.

I've been putting TLR7's on most of my Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I hated carrying my g19 with a tlrh1. Switched to a tlr7a and it's my edc. It's a huge footprint difference.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The TLR7 is the way to go for carry.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmm . The time between threat realization and lead in the air matters.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:03:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aridcat] [#5]
I did this exact thing.

TLR7a is a lot less light to stuff down your pants. I also like that it takes one battery instead of two. If you aren't really using it (except emergencies) - might as well take one battery and just change as needed.
The TLR7a is pretty much flush with the muzzle instead of sticking way out like the x300.

One downside is that the X300 is heavy enough to really smooth out the recoil on the glock, the TLR7 is a lot lighter and doesn't seem to have as much of a effect.

edit

I'm rocking the new style trex sidecar with just the gun side. I removed the extra clip as it is completely unnecessary and I don't carry an extra mag. trex used to make a non sidecar aiwb holster - wish they went back to that. I prefer holsters that are quick on/quick off - which means one clip not two.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:53:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KissMethod17] [#6]
X300 is a solid light no doubt about it. That said, TLR7a is doable on an everyday basis for me and its ergonomics in regards to how the switches operate are better than the X300 for me as well. The TLR7a is carried everyday on my P30L without issue. Carrying with an X300 did not turn out well for me. However, what did help a lot, despite switching to the TLR7a, was using one of those mastermind tactics wedge pillows. Moved the bezel of the light further away from the body so it was not constantly creating a hot spot. Regardless of how high I rode the holster, I could not get it high enough out of the way when running the X300. It got to a point where it was so high that my draw stroke felt off. TLR7a is an excellent alternative.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Do it!  Fits perfectly flush with the muzzle.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#8]
TLR7 is a fine light that gets the job done for a lot of people. I ran its bigger brother, the TLR-9 for a while and love the formfactor and the switching. My only complaint with it is the low candela, but the X300U also suffers from the same concerns. If you arent digging the way the X300 carries, its a great option.

The chunk you are feeling though may be in large part your holster choice and ride height. I used to have all kinds of comfort and holster bulk issues when I first started carrying a P320/TLR1. Had me making the choice to go out without carrying. Finally realized that it was a mix of not setting the holster ride height to me and my holster itself not being the greatest. I have since moved onto an even larger and heavier gun/light combo and it carries far better because I have a better holster and I set the ride height before anything else. To this end, I highly recommend giving Tenicor holsters a shot before you make the switch, as well as if you do decide to make the switch.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
An other possibility is to just skip the light and put a stand alone light somewhere else on you.
Thats how i do it because i need a light much more often than a gun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:23:17 AM EDT
[#10]
But, when you need a light and the gun, it’s better / easier with it already mounted on the gun. I carry a separate light for times when I need light and no potential threats
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:38:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I never understood the whole long ass light hanging off the end of a medium sized pistol.

If you’re going to do that just use a full length slide at that point (or at a short comp if that’s your jam).  It’s not costing you any extra length at that point.

Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Alright, Santa is bringing me a TLR7a and a Vedder Lighttuck
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I really dig my TLR7 I came from a XC1 on my 19.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 9:24:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Peacekeeper3073] [#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Millennial:
I never understood the whole long ass light hanging off the end of a medium sized pistol.

If you’re going to do that just use a full length slide at that point (or at a short comp if that’s your jam).  It’s not costing you any extra length at that point.

View Quote

Less chance of knocking the pistol out of battery if you run the muzzle into something by accident or need to gain some space by driving it into the chest of somebody to close.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:28:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms] [#15]
Does the TLR7 install and remove as easily as the x300?

I figure I'll swap them when I'm doing OWB vs AIWB
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:
Does the TLR7 install and remove as easily as the x300?

I figure I'll swap them when I'm doing OWB vs AIWB
View Quote

Yes it is a single bolt attachment ala X300U-B.  I use a penny which fits the slot perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Kinda in this dilemma as well , I've been carrying when able with a tlr 1 hl the last few years in a phslter floodlight and while its comfortable for what it is it make bending over real chore.

I'm debating going to a tlr7 or no wml at all on a g19 ATM.

For you guys who carry a tlr7a do you feel like you gain anything from going without the light?

I also am tempted to try a comp on my 19 but then I guess I might as well stay with a tlr1 although maybe there something to be gained width wise
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By polishkebasa:
Kinda in this dilemma as well , I've been carrying when able with a tlr 1 hl the last few years in a phslter floodlight and while its comfortable for what it is it make bending over real chore.

For you guys who carry a tlr7a do you feel like you gain anything from going without the light?

I also am tempted to try a comp on my 19 but then I guess I might as well stay with a tlr1 although maybe there something to be gained width wise
View Quote

There is absolutely zero chance that I'll ever carry without a flashlight attached to my G19.  For concealability the TLR-7 rules.  For output, the Surefire X300T is supreme.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

So a few things the TLR7/8/9/10 were released to address an issue that has kind of always existed with carry lights and holsters.  One they have to make the holster kind of gape so around the trigger/trigger guard region of the holsters to allow the light that is usually wider to fit.  It opens the holster to debris, objects, or fingers to get in.
With lights like the TLR7/8/9/10 XC1/2 XSC series the lights were slimmed down to conform to the general width of most pistols on the market.  
So to my point one thing in my eyes you gain is a safer holster over the TLR-1 x300 lights.  You have now slimmed down a light holster to the same width as non-light bearing holsters.  With the TLR-7 and Surefire equivalent lights you also gain if you are an IWB/AIWB carrier that annoying protrusion of a light which for some people that is a big deal but that is up to you.  

To answer your question in red for a person who does not practice with their light what do they really gain by having the light?  Without a light you gain lighter weight, less area you have to accommodate for a light on the belt or in the pants, and back to my question one less thing to worry about.  For the person who does not practice with their light it could be useless to them, could distract them, or get them killed (I know I am being a bit hyperbolic but some truth to it).  A person who uses their weapon light as a light say for identification purposes, does not know proper activation, or does not practice with it.... Are they more or less effective, liability, or danger to themselves/others?

I really like my TLR-7A I started out with the XC1 on my 19 and moved the TLR-7 a little after it was released and some bugs were worked out.  It was an upgrade for me even with the buttons on the side because the XC1 only have a momentary switch using the paddles on the back and to go always on you have to toggle a switch on the body.  The TLR-7A came along and I adopted it and moved my 7 over to my 300blk pistol where it actually works really well.  The 7A was a no brainer better switch activation and same small package also for me seemed safer because of the switch activation.  I carry almost exclusively OWB but the small amount of time I have carried the TLR7 IWB it is almost unnoticeable over the G19 by itself.  You have also come into the TLR-7A at a good point as when it was first released it was a pain in the ass to find a good holster or have very many options of holsters.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm really digging the TLR7 on my G19 w/ a Vedder holster.  I carry it much more often now.

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

So a few things the TLR7/8/9/10 were released to address an issue that has kind of always existed with carry lights and holsters.  One they have to make the holster kind of gape so around the trigger/trigger guard region of the holsters to allow the light that is usually wider to fit.  It opens the holster to debris, objects, or fingers to get in.
With lights like the TLR7/8/9/10 XC1/2 XSC series the lights were slimmed down to conform to the general width of most pistols on the market.  
So to my point one thing in my eyes you gain is a safer holster over the TLR-1 x300 lights.  You have now slimmed down a light holster to the same width as non-light bearing holsters.  With the TLR-7 and Surefire equivalent lights you also gain if you are an IWB/AIWB carrier that annoying protrusion of a light which for some people that is a big deal but that is up to you.  

To answer your question in red for a person who does not practice with their light what do they really gain by having the light?  Without a light you gain lighter weight, less area you have to accommodate for a light on the belt or in the pants, and back to my question one less thing to worry about.  For the person who does not practice with their light it could be useless to them, could distract them, or get them killed (I know I am being a bit hyperbolic but some truth to it).  A person who uses their weapon light as a light say for identification purposes, does not know proper activation, or does not practice with it.... Are they more or less effective, liability, or danger to themselves/others?

I really like my TLR-7A I started out with the XC1 on my 19 and moved the TLR-7 a little after it was released and some bugs were worked out.  It was an upgrade for me even with the buttons on the side because the XC1 only have a momentary switch using the paddles on the back and to go always on you have to toggle a switch on the body.  The TLR-7A came along and I adopted it and moved my 7 over to my 300blk pistol where it actually works really well.  The 7A was a no brainer better switch activation and same small package also for me seemed safer because of the switch activation.  I carry almost exclusively OWB but the small amount of time I have carried the TLR7 IWB it is almost unnoticeable over the G19 by itself.  You have also come into the TLR-7A at a good point as when it was first released it was a pain in the ass to find a good holster or have very many options of holsters.
View Quote

Very nice post!

Regarding the question in red I should have been more clear I was asking specifically on comfort/concealment with a tlr7a as it seems like it would no add much size to the holster unless you were really restricted in your body width.

You reminded me the tlr9 existed I almost never see a picture of one much less one in person.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 3:26:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdgecrusherXES] [#22]

Very nice post!

Regarding the question in red I should have been more clear I was asking specifically on comfort/concealment with a tlr7a as it seems like it would no add much size to the holster unless you were really restricted in your body width.

You reminded me the tlr9 existed I almost never see a picture of one much less one in person.
View Quote

So far I like in practice but I have not started carrying it.  Right now it is living on my 80% P320 build I put together.  I have done some range testing and like the controls much better than my TLR-1 HL as they mirror my TLR-7A.  It may get moved over to my G17 for carry but I need to get two new OWB holsters for it .  I am also not sure if I want to start carrying it on the P320 so at the moment I still consider it in testing and learning phase.
@polishkebasa
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:29:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KTM300XCW] [#23]
I carry AIWB and with the X300 my G45 was just too long. I moved over to a TLR-7A and feel it's much better suited to AIWB carry.

I went with the Tier One Concealment Axis Elite holster and it carries great. Very comfortable and concealable.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I have the Glk 19 gen 5 , mos gun with the Holsun SCS and the light I put on it is the  TLR - 6 it`s small and works for what I need lights a room just right and works good out side I like it .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top