Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2020 2:46:51 AM EDT
Anyone ever seen a revolver with a carry melt?
I've seen pics of various semi's with that done, but never a revolver.
Would be curious to see some.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:47:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably, the best examples are the factory production LCRs and Airweights with concealed hammers. The SW 638 has a shrouded hammer and a gutter rear sight with a ramp front sight to reduce snags.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Kimber K6
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Not a fan of it on any firearm. It is not that hard to break the edge to keep from wearing on clothes or anything else without making it look like someone went hog wild with a sand blaster.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I have in person, but it didn't inspire confidence, it just seems like a weird way to reduce the radius of a lot of parts in a way that would leave questionable metallurgical integrity behind.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JohnRippert:

Not a fan of it on any firearm. It is not that hard to break the edge to keep from wearing on clothes or anything else without making it look like someone went hog wild with a sand blaster.
View Quote

QFT

I heard one person say that the gun looked like a used bar of soap when referring to an overdone melt job.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#6]
It does require a bit of an artistic touch to make it look good. I agree if you just go crazy and round off every corner it generally looks like crap.

The factory melt on the SIG SAS models are a good example of a well done melt job.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:57:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Not a great pic to show carry melt but these Wiley Clapp GP100's were given the treatment as part of Wiley's design for the ultimate fighting revolver.  It's hard to see in this photo but most of the edges are rounded/melted to avoid snags and the cylinder is slightly beveled on the front for easier/faster holstering.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Brandi:
Not a great pic to show carry melt but these Wiley Clapp GP100's were given the treatment as part of Wiley's design for the ultimate fighting revolver.  It's hard to see in this photo but most of the edges are rounded/melted to avoid snags and the cylinder is slightly beveled on the front for easier/faster holstering.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4319/35444002874_eb6b0dbdd2_c.jpg
View Quote

Look's almost as good as the original Ruger Speed Six revolvers with the DAO hammers.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Didn’t even know it was a thing on revolvers. All I’ve ever seen mentioned is bobbing the hammer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CorruptBureaucrat:
Didn’t even know it was a thing on revolvers. All I’ve ever seen mentioned is bobbing the hammer.
View Quote

There isn’t much to do but I think this is the list: Bob/shroud/enclose hammer, round the butt, slicker grips (lots of people sacrifice slick grips for recoil absorption), low profile sights, low profile cylinder release, and a rounded recoil plate.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By F224:

Look's almost as good as the original Ruger Speed Six revolvers with the DAO hammers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By F224:
Originally Posted By Brandi:
Not a great pic to show carry melt but these Wiley Clapp GP100's were given the treatment as part of Wiley's design for the ultimate fighting revolver.  It's hard to see in this photo but most of the edges are rounded/melted to avoid snags and the cylinder is slightly beveled on the front for easier/faster holstering.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4319/35444002874_eb6b0dbdd2_c.jpg

Look's almost as good as the original Ruger Speed Six revolvers with the DAO hammers.

We also have a regular version of the 3" GP100 and there's a big difference in the two.  The WC GP's are fantastic guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top