Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2015 6:35:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slugball]
I recently wondered about the eligibility of Russian commercial Makarovs for C&R sales. The FAQ here says:

Which Makarovs are considered Curios and Relics?

The list of C&R weapons includes both the East German and Russian Makarovs, the general consensus is that only the original Russian military Makarovs are included among the Russian guns. That is, the commercially produced Baikal IJ-70 with a rear target sight does not qualify under the spirit of the C&R law.
The Bulgarian (including Miltex), Chinese, and Simson-Suhl are not considered curio & relics.
View Quote

It rather hazily mentions 'general consensus' which to me is not a definitive answer.

There appears to be no reason why they wouldn't be eligible. The list does not specify anything like 'ex-military only', it simply says:

Makarov, pistol, Russian and East German, caliber 9mm Makarov.
View Quote

In other words, there is no good reason why a 9x18 IJ70, even a double-stack one, couldn't be transferred directly to a C&R holder. It cannot be a matter of markings because most Makarov pistols do not bear a model marking of that name, including the ex-military Russians and East Germans. Also, needless to say, age has nothing to do with the eligibility of a gun named on the list.

PS: After a search, I became aware that I'm far from the first to raise this issue, but I haven't yet seen a satisfying answer to the question.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The list says "Russian" Makarovs. The IJ-70 and variants are Russian made, and Makarovs. To hell with the "spirit" of the law. What the law actually says is what the law is. If they didn't want the commercial Makarovs to count they should have been more specific.

I got my IJ-70 in CA due to the C&R list (as C&R's are exempt from the Handgun Roster). The CA DOJ didn't have a problem with it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Slugball:
I recently wondered about the eligibility of Russian commercial Makarovs for C&R sales. The FAQ here says:

Which Makarovs are considered Curios and Relics?

The list of C&R weapons includes both the East German and Russian Makarovs, the general consensus is that only the original Russian military Makarovs are included among the Russian guns. That is, the commercially produced Baikal IJ-70 with a rear target sight does not qualify under the spirit of the C&R law.
The Bulgarian (including Miltex), Chinese, and Simson-Suhl are not considered curio & relics.
View Quote

It rather hazily mentions 'general consensus' which to me is not a definitive answer.

There appears to be no reason why they wouldn't be eligible. The list does not specify anything like 'ex-military only', it simply says:

Makarov, pistol, Russian and East German, caliber 9mm Makarov.
View Quote

In other words, there is no good reason why a 9x18 IJ70, even a double-stack one, couldn't be transferred directly to a C&R holder. It cannot be a matter of markings because most Makarov pistols do not bear a model marking of that name, including the ex-military Russians and East Germans. Also, needless to say, age has nothing to do with the eligibility of a gun named on the list.

PS: After a search, I became aware that I'm far from the first to raise this issue, but I haven't yet seen a satisfying answer to the question.
View Quote

Those words mean nothing to Government.  Look at the SKS situation. Same rifle, identical. Some are C&R some aren't
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 5:06:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slugball] [#3]
I should have said, no legal reason. The list only specifies country and caliber, Russian and 9x18, which includes many or most of the IJ70s.

Compare with the entry for the Dragunov, which says 'Soviet military issue only'. If they wanted to exclude the IJ70 they'd have said the same for the Makarov.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top