Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2020 12:17:24 AM EDT
I recently acquired a new LCPII pistol in .22LR and was wondering if it can be dry-fired without damaging anything?
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently acquired a new LCPII pistol in .22LR and was wondering if it can be dry-fired without damaging anything?
View Quote
I don't dry-fire rimfire weapons as a matter of princple.

For handguns, if you practice with something that has stiffer springs, that muscle memory will carry down to the "easier" weapons too.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#2]
So far as I know Ruger doesn't make a gun that can't be dry fired.  I read that somewhere and it included all their .22lr guns.  Always best to just contact Ruger and ask them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 1:39:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 8:06:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Friend of mine broke the tip of the firing pin in his LCP22. Did alot of dry firing.  Ruger said can't happen.  But here we are.  Broken pin and a mark on the chamber face.

They did fix it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I always heard never repeatedly dry fire  22 rimfire. The firing pin hits the edge of the chamber. Dry fire your center fire AR all day long if you want to.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I own two LCP ll in 22 and have about 1000 rounds through one and about 500 through the second one. They are very reliable with CCI plated ammo. I don’t dry fire them, at all, even though the manual says it’s okay to do.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get yourself a small package of yellow wall anchors to use as dummy cartridges to protect the chambers.
View Quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This, I had an SP-101 in .22 and dry firing it was beginning to dimple the lip of the chambers. I use the yellow wall anchors in all my .22s if I'm going to dry fire.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Worked for 3+ years at two commercial shooting ranges. I’ve seen at least 3 Ruger MKIII rental pistols with damaged chambers due to customers repetitively dry firing them. One of them stared having extraction issues due to the burr created from dry firing dragging on the casing, preventing it from being pulled completely out. I would not dry fire a rimfire gun without some sort of “snap cap”.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top