Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2018 11:54:16 PM EDT
I'm picking up a NIB CZ75b SA tomorrow. I've already got sights and grips I ordered from CZcustom.

I've seen most people use an actual drill press to cut the notch on the front sight. All I have available is a handheld power drill. I did order the correct size drill bit and have read the CZcustom sight installation instructions regarding which direction to go. Has anyone used a handheld drill and if so, did you encounter any issues?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I did it once with a corded hand drill, bought the drill bit from CZC with the sights.  I vice clamped the slide to my benchtop and went slow, no issues.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I've done it with a cordless drill.  Maybe 3 or 4 times now, maybe 5??

Broke a couple of those tiny little drill bits.  Drill slowly.  Don't put a lot of downward pressure on the drill/drill bit.

I can tell from experience, if you break the drill bit off and don't have another, using a small triangular file to finish the new groove you started with the drill is a very slow way to make that cut/notch in the bottom of the front sight.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I realize this is crazy talk, but have you considered taking it to a gunsmith? Probably wouldn't cost much and there's at least a better chance it would be done more or less right.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I realize this is crazy talk, but have you considered taking it to a gunsmith? Probably wouldn't cost much and there's at least a better chance it would be done more or less right.
View Quote
Crazy enough it might just work!  My slide and sight would be in the mail to CGW.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never done it but I have read that you should drill from the left side of the slide to right side.

The reason is the drill will spin clockwise and if the drill catches and moves the front sight in its channel then you want to press it against the rear of the channel where it can't move anywhere.

If you go right to left then the drill bit can slide the sight out of the channel to the front and it will stick out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Everything went fine.

I followed the CZCustom guide and went from left to right. I clamped the slide to my bench, and went as slow as possible. It worked fine, and looks great.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#8]
People get intimidated by having to drill out the front sight. In reality, it is easier than it sounds. Drill slowly from left to right and take your time. I believe CZ Custom actually recommends you use a hand held drill and not a drill press.

If you really don't want to drill anything, just take out the existing sight, line it up with the new sight and file a notch into the bottom of the new sight that approximates the hole in the old sight.

A third option is to clean and degrease both the dovetail and the new sight, apply a dab of a strong epoxy, push the sight in, quickly wipe off any excess epoxy that squeezes out and let it cure. As long as you use JB weld or any high endurance epoxy, that front sight is never going to come out!
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I put in my sight.  Marked where the hole for the pin in the front sight needed to be.  Took it out.  put in a small vice and used a dremel tool cutting wheel.  Was very careful and mine turned out great.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
People get intimidated by having to drill out the front sight. In reality, it is easier than it sounds. Drill slowly from left to right and take your time. I believe CZ Custom actually recommends you use a hand held drill and not a drill press.

If you really don't want to drill anything, just take out the existing sight, line it up with the new sight and file a notch into the bottom of the new sight that approximates the hole in the old sight.

A third option is to clean and degrease both the dovetail and the new sight, apply a dab of a strong epoxy, push the sight in, quickly wipe off any excess epoxy that squeezes out and let it cure. As long as you use JB weld or any high endurance epoxy, that front sight is never going to come out!
View Quote
I have always done the file method keep cutting till you can see light with no obstructions through the pin hole.  I would for sure F up the drill method I just have bad luck like that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I've done 3 and used a cutting wheel on a dremel tool.  Just mark it and slowly take out a notch until the pin fits tight.  Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've done 3 and used a cutting wheel on a dremel tool.  Just mark it and slowly take out a notch until the pin fits tight.  Never had an issue.
View Quote
Now that beats the hell out of filing, like I did when I broke my only drill bit one evening.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top