Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2018 12:49:14 PM EDT
Not being familiar with the CZ platform , I need to ask a question.  The other night at our indoor range, I over heard one shooter telling another shooter about how the CZ's recoil is different then other hand guns.  He stated that the CZ comes straight back, rather then recoiling up like other pistols.  Any truth to this or his just blowing smoke?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a little different than some pistol because of the short slide used.  The trigger and the inside the frame rails is what makes the CZ design a little unique.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not being familiar with the CZ platform , I need to ask a question.  The other night at our indoor range, I over heard one shooter telling another shooter about how the CZ's recoil is different then other hand guns.  He stated that the CZ comes straight back, rather then recoiling up like other pistols.  Any truth to this or his just blowing smoke?
View Quote
Nah, there's nothing special about their actions.

Good ergonomics might help you control it well. Like the inside the frame slide letting you get a good high purchase on it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#3]
As said above with the rails, it allows the bore axis to be lower. Also some of them, like the S2, are a bit heavier than most which helps.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't know what type of CZ they were shooting/talking about.

I can tell you that the P09 in 9MM is just about the softest shooting 9MM you'll ever run bullets through.  First time I shot mine I knew it was going "bang".  I could see the holes in the target and the empties on the ground, but the recoil was so light I kept getting the feeling something just wasn't right.

The metal framed guns aren't bad either (CZ 75 Compact, P01, CZ 85), just not as light as the P09.  Can't speak for the P07 in 9MM.  Mines a .40 S&W and with the loads I shoot it's about like a .357 magnum.  Lots of noise, lots of flash, lots of recoil and the empties fly.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The slides weigh less than most traditional slides, so there is slightly less reciprocating mass. The metal frame CZ's also have heavy frames that works to tame the recoil.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:22:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I really haven't noticed a huge difference, but the low bore axis is usually what people say is the reason. My Phantom seems to recoil with the least amount of felt recoil, but purely subjective.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#7]
"Recoil Impulse" is one of those unquantifiable characteristics of any firearm.
Sure there is some technical merit that "softer" recoil results in better follow up shots, greater accuracy, etc. but that's not
always the whole picture. If it were, we all would just shoot air guns.
I love shooting my Mosin Nagant M44, for example, which kicks like a mule, but I enjoy it.

My wife hates shooting my CZ's and describes them as "snappy", whereas she loves shooting 1911's, which one would think
would be more harsh. I love my CZ's and find the recoil impulse very natural.

Ultimately it's like smelling "fruits and berries" or "hints of caramel" in whiskey. It's completely subjective, and only subject to
the impressions of the shooter with no right or wrong answer.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Recoil Impulse" is one of those unquantifiable characteristics of any firearm.
Sure there is some technical merit that "softer" recoil results in better follow up shots, greater accuracy, etc. but that's not
always the whole picture. If it were, we all would just shoot air guns.
I love shooting my Mosin Nagant M44, for example, which kicks like a mule, but I enjoy it.

My wife hates shooting my CZ's and describes them as "snappy", whereas she loves shooting 1911's, which one would think

Ultimately it's like smelling "fruits and berries" or "hints of caramel" in whiskey. It's completely subjective, and only subject to
the impressions of the shooter with no right or wrong answer.
View Quote
A lot of that snappy feel can be adjusted with ammo choice.    I can make my G22 feel snappy with 155s with a violent slide speed or shoot 180s that are closer to the slow kerchunk of a .45 ACP.  200 Swc.   But perception is a lot of it.  In rifles I don’t necessarily like short barrels in some Cartridges, an 18” .243 is one, it’s not the recoil I don’t like it’s the blast with the short barrel with a burn rate that doesn’t seem finished burning.   Add four inches and the blast disappears.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Presumably your 1911s are in .45 acp.  Give her one in 9mm and she will think it's "snappy" in comparison.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top