Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2023 1:13:40 PM EDT
Assuming you can buy either model for the same exact price, which version would you get?

I did hear SA-Only version is being discontinued. How would that impact proce and availability?

Mainly looking to use it for range fun,  i haven't gotten bit by competition bug yet, but maybe will look into that if Shadow 2 truly shoots as nice as they say.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I got the SA. Never was a fan of DA/SA, though I understand it's use.

Mine is for range use only, no competition, so SA was the way to go for me and my liking.

I've heard the SA puts you into a different class than the DA/SA Shadow 2, but if you're not competing (like me), then that's not an issue.

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I like having the second strike capability when using reduced hammer springs in my SP01 Shadow. Had it SAO for a hot minute, not a hard conversion to do and found out it limited my divisions it could compete in. It is back to DA/SA. I have 1911s for my SA needs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The nice thing about the CZ is even with a DA/SA system, you could run it cocked-and-locked just like an SAO.

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 12:06:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: deanwormer] [#4]
If you care about uspsa then the SAO puts you into limited (which is generally considered a disadvantage in 9mm as it’s minor scoring).  The “perfect” CZ for limited is a Tac sport of some flavor in .40

Or, get your sa shadow 2 a dot and compete in the new limited optics which is minor only (add magwell and thumbrest if you desire… things you can’t do in Carry optics)

Understand that with a SA/DA the SA trigger won’t be as finely tunable as an SAO trigger. With the SAO you can tune the over and pre travel. You can also set the trigger location with different trigger length and profiles (including flat facing). This isn’t really doable with a shadow 2 sada. The difference may or may not matter to you depends on individual guns and how much a trigger snob you are (or how long your fingers are)

Also know that a SA DA can change into an SAO by changing the trigger $50 and deleting the disconnector $0.  And visa versa. (What type of safety you want may change as the sada might have only flat safeties whereas the SA comes with the big LHside safety for cock and locked)

You might put more importance on obtaining an OR version if dots are your thing. Which come in sada only

Double strike is overrated. With an SAO gun a full power mainspring has little to no effect on the trigger pull if the sear and hammer are well tuned (as they are on most shadow 2s). People stuff light hammer springs in their DA shadow 2s to get lighter da pulls causing light strikes sometimes.

I got my SAO on a killer deal and I like it. Have no reason to care about DA. Gonna do the CZ custom plate system so I can swap optics and go back to irons with one gun.  

The fact you can run a 22lr kit on it is even more awesome.  

Some will also say “why not just get a Ts2” well:
The ts2 doesn’t take a light
The ts2 is even more heavy. The shadow2 is on the edge of too heavy for my tastes.  If you somehow find the s2 too light there are plenty of ways to take it well north of 3lbs
The ts2 can’t become DA later
The ts2 takes its own much more expensive mags that have problems being extended because they were made for .40 first. CZ75 mags were made for 9mm first.
The ts2 is even thicker frame/grip. The shadow 2 can get thicker but the ts2 can’t get thinner.

Just my opinions on why I skipped the ts2

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By deanwormer:
With the SAO you can tune the over and pre travel. You can also set the trigger location with different trigger length and profiles (including flat facing). This isn’t really doable with a shadow 2 sada.
View Quote

Most of that can be done on the DA/SA Shadow 2.  Cajun's kit has pre and overtravel stop adjustments, and there are "some" different profiles available(none flat no), also the reach reduction kit allows changing the trigger position.

Double strike is overrated. With an SAO gun a full power mainspring has little to no effect on the trigger pull if the sear and hammer are well tuned (as they are on most shadow 2s). People stuff light hammer springs in their DA shadow 2s to get lighter da pulls causing light strikes sometimes.
View Quote

This is true, but sometimes light strikes are simply a result of a primer that isn't seated.  In that case, hitting a second time almost always lights it off.  Doesn't matter much for plinking, but for defense or competition a quick second strike is a nice option to have.

I agree with everything else you said, really just depends on the use.  If he wants to shoot competition then he will need to pick carefully.  Also consider that the Shadow 2 OR is the only optic-ready pistol in CZ's lineup currently.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:10:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mak0] [#6]
The DA/SA is more popular simply because it is legal to use in production division, SAO guns would have to be in limited or open. That obviously only matters to you if you plan on competing. For a range gun I personally think the SAO model makes more sense. The DA/SA model doesn't have a decocker so you end up treating it just like a SAO anyway.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Going to give limited optics a try. Have my shadow 1 slide out to Primary Machine for a K optic mill job and switched back to SAO trigger for a falling steel match coming up in June. Should be fun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 5:21:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deanwormer] [#8]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

Most of that can be done on the DA/SA Shadow 2.  Cajun's kit has pre and overtravel stop adjustments, and there are "some" different profiles available(none flat no), also the reach reduction kit allows changing the trigger position.

This is true, but sometimes light strikes are simply a result of a primer that isn't seated.  In that case, hitting a second time almost always lights it off.  Doesn't matter much for plinking, but for defense or competition a quick second strike is a nice option to have.

I agree with everything else you said, really just depends on the use.  If he wants to shoot competition then he will need to pick carefully.  Also consider that the Shadow 2 OR is the only optic-ready pistol in CZ's lineup currently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By deanwormer:
With the SAO you can tune the over and pre travel. You can also set the trigger location with different trigger length and profiles (including flat facing). This isn’t really doable with a shadow 2 sada.

These are all valid points too

I do also like that I can easily adjust where the trigger “is” on an SA (long finger and short finger triggers).  I felt like With the dasa triggers of CZs the SA is too far back and I end up with the trigger on my second pad. You kinda have to live with that or your DA would be too far forward.

I think it’s safe to say the market in general is moving towards SA guns (and striker triggers that feel close to SA!).  The DA thing really being a competition specific thing.

I think limited optics minor will be pretty dang popular (and let’s be fair you can have a lot of fun shooting iron limited minor, magwells are cool… heck people shoot strikers in limited minor in level I locals just for the extra mag capacity).

Thankfully if you screw up your decision they are not hard to convert back and forth.  I’ve seen SAO shadow 2s for $1000 so there’s that.

For optics I think I’d rather go with a czcustom plate (superior to CZ plate imo) or the primary machine slide plus optic milling for a dedicated optic.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, OP, for this thread. I'm currently in the search for a CZ shadow. Many of my questions were answered. Of course, more were raised....
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Is there any reason to buy a DA vs SA in this pistol other than if you plan to shoot competition?
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ilikepieman:
Is there any reason to buy a DA vs SA in this pistol other than if you plan to shoot competition?
View Quote
Carry.

Many people like DA/SA

Open carry professionals usually like DA/SA w/ Decocker and Safety combined.
CCW carriers are pretty well split between DA/SA w/ Decock only, or  w/ Safety only.

Note that all DA/SA guns are just as unfriendly to poor training habits as pure SA after the first shot, and then reholstering.
Especially when reholstering after shots fired.

Pure DAO has the biggest fudge factor reholstering.
It also has the biggest fudge factor when attempting long range/ precision/ and speed shots.

TANSTAAFL
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ilikepieman:
View Quote

They only offer the optics ready in DA/SA.  That’s what I wanted, so I just installed a SAO trigger kit on mine.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TROB:

They only offer the optics ready in DA/SA.  That’s what I wanted, so I just installed a SAO trigger kit on mine.
View Quote

One can also get the slide milled.  We have a guy who shoots matches with a SAO Shadow 2, he just had Stonebridge cut it for his SRO.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 12:40:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TROB] [#14]

One can also get the slide milled.  We have a guy who shoots matches with a SAO Shadow 2, he just had Stonebridge cut it for his SRO.
View Quote

I really try not to permanently alter guns from stock if i can avoid it.  But yes, that’s an option
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top