Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2018 4:56:25 PM EDT
I am finally looking at a CZ pistol for my next purchase. I am torn between the SP-01 Phantom and the P-09. I see that the SP-01 uses CZ75B magazines, which is a plus due the relatively high cost of spare P-09 magazines. For those who have experience with both models, is there a distinct advantage of one over the other?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the anticipated use? Carry, fun, Competition? IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, Steel, 3G?  Budget?

I own both an SP-01 Tactical and P-09....  Ask away!  Yes the P-09 the mags are much more expensive than the 75 series.  But also consider the lower entry point on price of the P09/07.  Have you thought about going all in and doing a Shadow2?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Of those two, i would get a Phantom.

Reason: Mags and trigger.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:11:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought you could use regular 75 mags in the plastic guns with some wobble.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:36:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought you could use regular 75 mags in the plastic guns with some wobble.
View Quote
The P07 yes but the P09 grip is to long and the phantom takes 75 mags.  I prefer the P09 over the phantom because the slide has more to grab and as a duty/carry pistol it fits that role better than the phantom.  Phantom is a great pistol but the midget slide is kind of annoying and same with the SP01/75 but I make it sound bigger than it is.  The downside of the P09/7 is mag cost but the upside is the entry cost of the pistol.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:43:51 AM EDT
[#5]
SP-01 over P09 due to slightly more ergonomic frame.

Especially if you have medium to small hands.

But even if you have gorilla paws SP-01 should fit you better.

I've used both and sold P09 and bought SP-01
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 2:05:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd probably go for the P-09.

The Phantom would just make me mad that I didn't go for the SP-01 Tactical instead.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a great P09 9MM.  The most accurate semi-auto pistol I've ever shot (I have Colt, Browning, Glock, XDM and M&P's in the safe, so I've shot a few different brands/calibers).

Because the P09 is so accurate and reliable and because I don't look at it as an EDC I probably won't be buying a full sized metal frame CZ 9MM.  Won't buy another P09 either, I've got two now.

I bought the P09 based on two things.  My P07 was the most accurate pistol I'd bought in several years and a guy on the CZ forum that was shooting tiny groups at 25 yds. and still shooting nice groups at 100 and 200 yds. with it.  He's on this forum, too, but I can't remember his user name here.  He's got videos on you tube.

I'm sure there are metal framed CZ's that shoot really good groups, too.  I like the look of the SP01 (thumb safety model for me, I just like thumb safeties) and magazines for it will be cheaper than magazines for the P09.

One more thing.  For some reason, and I can't explain it, every time I see and Urban Grey CZ 75 at a gun show or gun store I want to bring that thing home with me.  It always amazes me and the "pull" I feel to get one of those.  It may be based on my Urban Grey P01 (which is more like an SP01) but I think that UG CZ 75 with the threaded barrel and suppressor sights is just an awesome looking handgun.  I have no need of it.  I have more CZ's than I can take to the range and shoot in a couple/three trips, but I want that UG CZ 75.

Good luck with whichever CZ you pick.  And check out Cajun Gun Works and CZ Custom for aftermarket/custom parts and services.  I've bought a lot of parts from both companies.  Cajun Gun Works shipping/delivery is flat out amazing.  I've ordered parts on Friday and gotten them on Monday (for lower shipping costs than just about anyone else).
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the quick replies. Not sure which one I will go with, but the P-09 seems pretty good. The only thing I really don't like are triggers with a very pronounced curve and the SP-01 appears to have that type of trigger. If I had the cash, a Shadow 2 would be an awesome pistol to own.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't really go wrong both are great
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the quick replies. Not sure which one I will go with, but the P-09 seems pretty good. The only thing I really don't like are triggers with a very pronounced curve and the SP-01 appears to have that type of trigger. If I had the cash, a Shadow 2 would be an awesome pistol to own.
View Quote
The P-09 is not as bad of a curve but honestly you get used to it and at first it was weird coming from Glock, Sig, 1911 pistol but I really like how it feels now.
Some encouragement for you!  Both have full Cajun Jobs
Attachment Attached File

If you go SP-01 I say go metal frame....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd probably go for the P-09.

The Phantom would just make me mad that I didn't go for the SP-01 Tactical instead.
View Quote
I have both. The weight savings that the Phantom brings is immense. IF you're inclined to carry a full size pistol.
Both are great guns, just one is much lighter.

I don't have experience with the P-07/P-09 series yet, so for OP, I'll vote Phantom because that's what I know, and
yes because of mags. Once you have a few 75's in your stable and they all use the same mags, that's really nice.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Is the P-09 capable being carried cocked and locked?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is the P-09 capable being carried cocked and locked?
View Quote
Cocked and locked or decocked depending on if you have the safety installed or the decocker installed.  The P-09 uses the Omega trigger system which allows you to switch between safety or decocker.  I will tell you this if you want decocker it is a bitch to get the spring installed so it kind of sucks to get it installed but once done it is all good.  Safety is cake walk to install.

All my CZ's are decocker and the P-09 in the pic above I have the decocker installed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#14]
How is the P-09 configured out of the box?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had a couple of P07's and a P09 and all came with the decocker installed from the factory and the safety lever in the box in a bag.  I don't care for the curve of the new style CZ's triggers either.  It's one of the reasons I got rid of the SP01 I had.   I prefer the older silver CZ triggers or the P09/P07 triggers.  David
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine came configured safety... because I remember cursing quite a bit trying to get the decocker spring tail in its groove.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#17]
If you're going metal and don't intend to carry, I would suggest the Tactical Sport or Tactical Sport Orange.  Both are SAO, have safeties (rather than decockers) ,straight triggers and pack 20 rounds of 9mm in a mag

Link Posted: 2/1/2018 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just to clarify, to P09 comes with both the safety and decocker setup. Mine came out of the box with the safety installed, but the decocker parts were in the box. I've seen them both ways on the shelf.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:58:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have both. The weight savings that the Phantom brings is immense. IF you're inclined to carry a full size pistol.
Both are great guns, just one is much lighter.

I don't have experience with the P-07/P-09 series yet, so for OP, I'll vote Phantom because that's what I know, and
yes because of mags. Once you have a few 75's in your stable and they all use the same mags, that's really nice.
View Quote
Part of the reason I want the SP is because of the added weight though.

I can see where the Phantom has it's place, but I'd save still get the P-09 and a few extra mags.

I mean, there's still no bad choice here for the OP though!
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Cocked and locked or decocked depending on if you have the safety installed or the decocker installed.  The P-09 uses the Omega trigger system which allows you to switch between safety or decocker.  I will tell you this if you want decocker it is a bitch to get the spring installed so it kind of sucks to get it installed but once done it is all good.  Safety is cake walk to install.

All my CZ's are decocker and the P-09 in the pic above I have the decocker installed.
View Quote
Bought my first CZ last week. P07. Came with safety installed. First thing I did was watch videos on how to install the de cocker. After almost 2 hours of screwing with it, I had an epiphany on how to get that spring under the tab. I took a torx screwdriver with a tiny head installed. The spring fits in between the torx screw teeth perfectly. Got it in on the first try.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bought my first CZ last week. P07. Came with safety installed. First thing I did was watch videos on how to install the de cocker. After almost 2 hours of screwing with it, I had an epiphany on how to get that spring under the tab. I took a torx screwdriver with a tiny head installed. The spring fits in between the torx screw teeth perfectly. Got it in on the first try.
View Quote
I took a spudger and modified it to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:18:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Have both, great pistols, both worked on by Cajun Gun Works, too. For carry, I use the Phantom - it "fits" me a tiny bit better. That's all. I've carried both and trust both, but the Phantom just does it for me that tiny little bit more. Purely subjective. Again, if you want the standard safety, the Phantom won't work for you - decocker only. The SP-01 can be had with traditional safety,. but that is an all steel pistol.
The P-09 will serve you well, and if you do get work done on it, CGW is the ONLY place I let touch my CZ pistols. Period.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top