Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2021 10:31:18 AM EDT
So I think I need a 45acp. And. CZ97 will
Go well with my 75.

So anyone here with a 97? Can you give me a review and feedback?

Are mags easy to get?

Which model 97 do you like and why?!
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a great gun!  You should already have one imo.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like my 97, but it's a niche gun. Big, heavy and limited capacity. Yeah, ok that describes a 1911 too but the 1911 has a much larger market and is much easier to find stuff for.

It's a great shooter though. The big, heavy part mentioned above comes in handy for recoil, and not much muzzle flip. Like most things CZ, triggers vary quite a bit from gun to gun, ranging from "pretty good" to "ugh". But that's easily remedied and improved with some CGW love.

If you really want to go wild,  CGW has what they call the E conversion, which combines trigger work with replacement of the factory barrel bushing. I had it done to mine and while it did greatly improve the accuracy and trigger, it was expensive. Worth it? I think so but it cost as much as the gun did. I didn't notice much of an accuracy difference at close range, but it made a huge difference for me at 25 yards or more.

Also like most things CZ, mags seem to show up in batches. Grab them when you find them.

I prefer the B model but I'm not a fan of decockers.

Overall, if you like CZ's and want a 45 it's an easy call. Ergos are similar--not exactly the same because the frame is bigger--but it's still got the great CZ feel.   If you're looking for a steel frame 45 but aren't necessarily a CZ fanboy, it's
worthy of consideration. If you're just looking for something in 45, there are better options.

All that said, I really like mine and don't regret buying it or spending the $$$ on the CGW work.

Edit: there was one thing I didn't like much at all out of the box. The black aluminum grips. They look great, but I didn't like them from a functional standpoint. Too slippery for me and they made the gun feel slab-sided. A set of LOK grips took care of that. Grips are subjective though, and I know other people who love the stock grips.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!

You selling?
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s a great gun IMO if you’re into CZ’s. I went with the 97B because I hate the decocker on CZ’s. Try to get the upgraded version with the fiber optic front sight and aluminum grips. The sight upgrade is worth it IMO. I switch the grips to Lok on all my CZ’s. It’s a fun range gun for me and even when I had it stock i was amazed at the accuracy due to the barrel bushing. I may in the future send it in to CGW for their bushing upgrade. I upgraded my trigger to CZC parts so no more gritty DA and lighter SA. If you can find one snatch it up because they are released in batches like most CZ’s. So no telling when they might pop up again. If there is a downside it’s only 10 rounds and weight. But since it’s a range gun it’s not an issue for me.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#5]
It's an awesome gun!  I'm actually on my second one.  First one developed some cracks in the frame, back around the hammer, in the slide rails.  CZUSA was still in KCK at the time.  I drove it over to them, and a couple weeks later FedEx dropped off a brand new one!  They even took out the mag brake and put in my full length 'door pin mod' guide rod!  Cool guys.

But yeah.  I have just a normal 97B polycoat.  A friend had a Blued Single Action, that was super sweet!

I do carry it occasionally, usually in colder weather when I have a jacket on.  Way back, I did carry it when I first got my CCW, in the summer, under just a TShirt to help me get over Printitis.  I also ran my first one in Limited10 in USPSA for a bit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s a great gun IMO if you’re into CZ’s. I went with the 97B because I hate the decocker on CZ’s. Try to get the upgraded version with the fiber optic front sight and aluminum grips. The sight upgrade is worth it IMO. I switch the grips to Lok on all my CZ’s. It’s a fun range gun for me and even when I had it stock i was amazed at the accuracy due to the barrel bushing. I may in the future send it in to CGW for their bushing upgrade. I upgraded my trigger to CZC parts so no more gritty DA and lighter SA. If you can find one snatch it up because they are released in batches like most CZ’s. So no telling when they might pop up again. If there is a downside it’s only 10 rounds and weight. But since it’s a range gun it’s not an issue for me.

https://i.imgur.com/A57511l.jpg

View Quote

Yours looks just like mine.

I love mine. It's really accurate and a pleasure to shoot.  

Magazines are very easy to get. Tanfoglio magazines fit the 97B and these magazines are available from Greg Cote LLC

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/eaa-witness-mecgar-magazines-c-134/eaa-witness-tanfoglio-springfield-p9-45-acp-10-rd-mgwit45lfafc-p-1092.html

He also sells the CZ version.

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory-mecgar-actmag-c-173/cz-97b-or-cz-97bd-10-rd-45-acp-factory-magazine-11401-p-1425.html

Eric Larsen makes a really nice holster for the CZ-97 as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yours looks just like mine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234818/20200315_190054-2138622.jpg

I love mine. It's really accurate and a pleasure to shoot.  

Magazines are very easy to get. Tanfoglio magazines fit the 97B and these magazines are available from Greg Cote LLC

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/eaa-witness-mecgar-magazines-c-134/eaa-witness-tanfoglio-springfield-p9-45-acp-10-rd-mgwit45lfafc-p-1092.html

He also sells the CZ version.

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory-mecgar-actmag-c-173/cz-97b-or-cz-97bd-10-rd-45-acp-factory-magazine-11401-p-1425.html

Eric Larsen makes a really nice holster for the CZ-97 as well.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234818/20190620_124205-2138629.jpg
View Quote

You have good taste!

I like that leather you got. I guess it could be a good BBQ gun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]
buy one, send it to CGW for an E conversion... enjoy your 45 caliber laser.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#9]
For the lords caliber im a fan of 1911’s and have loved them since I was a child. I want a CZ 1911 and will scoop one up eventually just for the roll mark.

I have had the chance to run my friends 97B. They are a bit on the chunky side but overall great shooters at a great price.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
45 excellence- rock star accuracy and a pussycat to shoot...

Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one with the CGW "E" bushing modification and converted to single action only.  It was my bullseye match pistol for several years and it was absolutely excellent as a match pistol.  I shot it last weekend at 200 yards with excellent results.  See videos posted here in this forum.  Of the three CZ pistols I shot at 200 yards last week, the 97 was the easiest--possibly just do to the perfect ergonomics and substantial weight and size.  It is a good match to my hands and fingers, which means it isn't a good choice with someone with small hands and short fingers.  It is a monster of a pistol, and I love it.
Joe
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
45 excellence- rock star accuracy and a pussycat to shoot...

https://picr.me/i/2020/10/24/Vrycxf.jpg
View Quote

I have this gun as well. Beautiful bluing and love the lack of front slide serrations. Went to pick up a few things from my FFL  (home based) one day and he had it sitting with several guns he was selling for another customer. Guys said it was to big for his hands. FFL had zero interest in it and I only bought it because it was a great looking gun and I have larger hands. ?? I didn’t know much about CZ back then.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/A57511l.jpg
View Quote
That's nice.  I will need to look closer in the gun stores the next few trips.  That one hasn't been on my radar.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one but prefer my Tanfoglio Witness Match Elite or Sar K2 45 more.  The K2 holds more rounds (14) and the Tanfoglio has a way better stock trigger.  They both have rails for mounting a light too.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you get it Dog??
The model 97 is discontinued for 2022 !!
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Woof !!!

No problemo !!

Carry on!
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#18]
25+ year 1911 owner

I have a 97 + a Tacsport and a P01

I cay double tap a 1911 with out an issue

The 97 seems slower to recover and run the trigger

I like it .. I love my Tacsport

Not too sure that the 97 will stay in my safe for life
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I thought the Tanfoglio Witness more comfortable to shoot with and after that my 1911's.
I've the BD version I think.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the 97B model... It makes for a solid "woods-gun" when paired with Underwood's 255gr Hard Cast +P ammo... I carried it for almost 2 years as our dedicated woods-rig. Punches hard, can carry chambered both cocked n" locked SAO or DA hammer down with safety on, fast reloads. Changed the sights out for Tru-Glo's but the rest is stock. Slim OEM Aluminum grips make for comfortable grip and slimmer carry to boot.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Unless you were set on the BD (decocker) version, get a SAR K2.

40% more capacity and to my smedium hands the SAR fits better.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#22]
It’s been mentioned, but you’ll need big hands, particularly for the DA trigger.  I’m sure that can be alleviated some with the slimmer grips.  I am 6’5, and can shoot it fine, but I know people that struggle with its size.  Not small people either.  

Otherwise it’s a great gun.  I regret selling mine.  I almost bought another one a couple weeks ago.  I chose a surplus mini-14 and a police trade in SBS instead.  Now I’m wishing I’d done all 3
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Where are you located? Know where one is at FS.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I like mine OK so far (just got it a couple months ago); and while I have not-super-large hands, I do find the full DA trigger reach to be just a little much. I'm looking at the Cajun Gun Works reduced-reach and reduced-reset kits, as well as possibly slim grips.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have one but prefer my Tanfoglio Witness Match Elite or Sar K2 45 more.  The K2 holds more rounds (14) and the Tanfoglio has a way better stock trigger.  They both have rails for mounting a light too.  https://i.ibb.co/vmJNP3Q/IMG-2014.jpg
View Quote

Quoted:
Unless you were set on the BD (decocker) version, get a SAR K2.

40% more capacity and to my smedium hands the SAR fits better.
View Quote

These guys have the right idea. The SAR K2 is what the CZ97 should have been. If you're going to make a double stack 45, might as well take advantage of all that space. 14 rounds at least makes the larger size worthwhile. It can also take para p14 mags, but they don't lock the slide back.

My trigger was pretty damn nice out of the box, but I hear Cajun gun works has some new stuff in the works which may be compatible with the SAR.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I have owned one for 10 years. Fantastic gun. Heavy, but shoots like a dream.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I put a rail on one the other day, nice gun.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Tangfolio witness mags work, and they are cheaper, just a slight gap between the frame and mag base plate.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Big, heavy, accurate. Never ended up shooting mine much and eventually sold it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 3:18:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I wanna love this gun.  The issue is the depth of the grip from front to back makes it difficult for my hands to reach the trigger comfortably.  Not sure I can get the trigger to set back close enough to the frame to make that reach acceptable.  Been meaning to contact Cajun but of course that won't be cheap.

Even bought different grips and it's the same story. Just can't reach the trigger well enough.  Maybe some day....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top