Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2018 12:31:19 AM EDT
I have always ran Glocks, but I keep hearing how great CZ pistols are (especially the CZ 75). I am a lefty and prefer ambi controls whenever possible. I have had to live without them in my Glocks, but now that I am venturing into new territory, my preference is to have the ambi controls.

It looks like both the CZ 85B and CZ 85 Combat have been discontinued by CZ, but I see a few floating around for sale. If I am going to get into an ambi CZ 75, I am assuming now is the time to make the move.

Is the FPS the only difference between the 85B and the Combat? Any other differences?
The 85 is basically a 75 with ambi slide release and safety, correct?
Any reason not to purchase one of these as a lefty?

Any feedback on this pistol would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 3:41:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m a lefty and tried one years ago. Nice pistol but heavy and bulky so I let it go.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Pre B CZ85 a couple years ago and rebuilt it.  I love it.  I like it so much I got a CZ 75 Compact and converted it to CZ85 configuration.

I am not left handed, but I like the idea of being to go to the left hand if need be, and still be able to operate the pistol "normally."

All the internal parts for the CZ 85 and CZ 75 are the same.  The frame is different (larger holes in the right side for the installation of the right side controls).  I still haven't ruled out the possibility of buying a nice CZ 85 if I run across one at a gun show one of these days, just to put away for hard times, or give to my youngest son some day.

My Pre B CZ 85 (had it refinished and I also put different sights on it, too.)

The Compact clone.

Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I was looking at those models a couple of years ago and googling them a lot.

I recall finding that they had a chance of breaking increased with the off side controls.  Usually the controls but iirc there was a couple pics in a post with a cracked frame on the right side by the controls.  God knows which website I saw it on.

I’m a righty so I figured I’d skip the ambidextrous controls and go with regular 75b.  I went to buy one and came home with a P07.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I recall finding that they had a chance of breaking increased with the off side controls.  Usually the controls but iirc there was a couple pics in a post with a cracked frame on the right side by the controls.  God knows which website I saw it on.

I’m a righty so I figured I’d skip the ambidextrous controls and go with regular 75b.  I went to buy one and came home with a P07.
View Quote
Thank you for this information, I appreciate it. I did some digging around today and found several threads on the issue. Seems like it is a legitimate concern, so I think I will look at another model without the ambi features.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:53:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Aren't the Omega guns ambi?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The Omegas have ambidextrous thumb safeties, not slide releases.  Only the CZ 85 models have the slide release on both sides.

Could be something to the cracked frame stuff but I've never seen a post/thread on the CZ Forum about it happening.

As to the broken controls?  CZ makes several pistols, besides the CZ 85, with right side safeties.  The CZ 75 SA.  The Omegas (P01, CZ 75 and others).  The Tactical Sport pistols.  The TSO pistols.  A lot of those competition pistols have major power factor loads shot through them for thousands and thousands of rounds without breaking the frame - then again, if the frame did break it wasn't from shooting factory ammo/factory pressures.

I PM'd one of the guys from CZ Custom a couple years back when I was rebuilding my Pre CZ 85.  He told me that the newer right side slide release levers for the CZ 85's would not fit the Pre B CZ 85.  CZ had reports of the right side slide release levers breaking on the Pre B guns and had beefed them up by going to a larger diameter sleeve (where it fits on/around the shaft of the left side slide release) on the newer CZ 85's.

Your money, your call.

I do like the P07 and P09 pistols, too.  My P09 9MM is more accurate than any of my metal framed CZ pistols.  I shoot better groups with my P07 and P09 than with my Tactical Sport.  As they say, your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Could be something to the cracked frame stuff but I've never seen a post/thread on the CZ Forum about it happening.
View Quote
Thank you for the information. The information I found on a few discussion forums indicated the slide release was the issue. In some of the guns, the slide stop was supposedly breaking and in a few situations the actual frame supposedly cracked around the hole. Based on what I read, the claim was the hole was larger on the right side to accommodate the additional slide release which left less metal from the hole to the top of the frame causing the cracked frame.

These were just threads on a couple of discussion forums, so I have no idea how factual any of the information is. Also, it sounded like there were a lot of rounds through the firearm.

I am curious why CZ discontinued the firearms. Maybe I should email CZ to ask directly...I will try and find the threads again and put up a link if that is allowed?

I just bought a P-01 suppressor ready today, but for what it's worth, I am still considering buying the 85
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I am left handed and back in 1991 there were very few guns for lefties to choose from.  One day while I was in the Rod & Gun Club, I saw my first CZ85 and had to have it.  
Since I bought in 1991, the only other gun I like to shoot as much as the CZ85 is the Browning High Power.  I have put a lot of rounds through it and it is still going strong. The only parts I have had to replace is a broken extractor and recoil springs.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Could be, about the reason/theory for the frame cracks.

Having fiddled with mine quite a bit I can tell you that the outside part of the frame you see at the slide release is not the only support for the slide release shaft on that side of the frame.  Inside the frame is another, thicker support for the shaft itself.  The right side slide release lever is supported both by the right side of the frame and the left side slide release shaft.  The slot between the right side of the frame and that internal section of frame material is for a long spring (leg) that locks the left side slide release shaft and the right side slide release in place.

Here's a picture of the inside of the frame on that C75 Compact I modified.  The CZ 85 is made the same way, at least the Pre B is.  But the Compact is a new gun so I'd say the newer 85's are still made the same (except for the larger hold/right side lever.  You can see that spring that holds those slide release levers in the frame.

I know a CZ 75 could "feel" the same in my hand.  But it won't "feel" the same way in my mind.  I just like the idea of being able to switch hands (if my right hand were immobilized) and be able to do a normal manual of arms with the pistol (except for the magazine release, I suppose.)  For true left handers, I think that magazine release is reversible, seems I've read that, but that's on the newer pistols.  My Pre B CZ 85's frame isn't cut for the newer style reversible magazine release buttons.  Not sure how to do that, I've never really considered it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you for this information, I appreciate it. I did some digging around today and found several threads on the issue. Seems like it is a legitimate concern, so I think I will look at another model without the ambi features.

Thanks again!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again!
Certainly. I’m sure CZ would warrantee their gun and it wouldn’t be as likely to break as a Taurus. A guy I know went through three ambi safeties for his Taurus 1911 before buying an aftermarket.   I found one of the safeties on the range after the snow melted.

Hell even the 75Bs break parts.  Trigger return spring iirc is a common one.    An aftermarket is usually a permanent fix from what I read on CZ forums.   I carry a Glock for work, have for twenty years.  On the first one during break in I lost the claw off the extractor.   Later an ejector.  At about 16 years a cross pin.  This with the gun also getting product improvement glock parts during its life span. The last straw was the slide rail tabs cracking and we got new guns under warranty.    Does that make me worry?   Not really.  If you use it it could break. Like anything.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Love my 85 Combat.  Probably my favorite out of about three dozen handguns.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a FYI,OP.
My satin SS CZ-75 came with the ambi safety.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I got an 85 for the ambi controls because I shoot lefty.
It is a heavy beast, but I never intended to carry it anyway. It's a fun, accurate range gun.
I added a set of LPA sights and recently converted it to SA.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:44:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I got an 85 for the ambi controls because I shoot lefty.
It is a heavy beast, but I never intended to carry it anyway. It's a fun, accurate range gun.
I added a set of LPA sights and recently converted it to SA.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/340315/IMG_20180127_074904-434835.JPG
View Quote
Nice pistol. Still kicking around purchasing a CZ 85 Combat. They look like really nice pistols. Just trying to justify spending the $$
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone else with pics?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 3:08:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I think the combat comes with different sights too. I prefer the newer style beavertail that comes on SA's, Stainless guns, and SP01's. All those have ambi safeties, but not slide releases.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, the 85 is the only one (at least I have been able to find) with the ambi slide release.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone else with pics?
View Quote
Here's my 85 Combat,

Only shot 1 mag through it and became a safe queen when I found out they were discontinued.  My CZ75 SA's trigger feels better so that gets shot more and occasionally carried.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top