Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2018 1:51:13 AM EDT
This might be the nerdiest thing I have ever said, so, here goes nothing.

The CZ-75 short rail, they are beautiful, rare guns, very expensive where available, which is practically nowhere.

The CZ-75 pre B. A very nice gun, but much cheaper, and for me at least, findable compared to a short rail.

Neither are made anymore. Well, okay there is the shadow guns, but those are not of the classic frame shape.

I'm told that there was a different grade of steel used in the short rails. But I have also heard that this harder, forged? Short rails had a habit of cracking frames. From what I have seen the short rails also had a few thin spots near the front where the metal looked prone to cracking.

So I guess what I want to know which, from a strictly technical view, is the superior variant.

Rarity does not equal value for me in this case.

If we are going strictly on aesthetics then the pre B has an unfair advantage. Dat high polish blue finish is quite appealing.

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:16:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the later pre-b looks better than the short rail.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#2]
If memory serves me, the original short rails (about 1000 guns) were made in Spain, and are of a very high quality fit and finish and
deep blueing using a harder steel then production guns.
They are also unicorn pellets. They are virtually non-existent in the United States. I would go so far as to say there are none in the US.

The next 20,000 guns which are considered "three quarter rail" guns were the first commercially available 75's.
These are the "short rails" usually referred to by collectors. These were Czech produced guns.
In early 1980, the rails were lengthened to what we currently know and love.

(Source for this is Cold War Pistols of Czechoslovakia, James D Brown)
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If memory serves me, the original short rails (about 1000 guns) were made in Spain, and are of a very high quality fit and finish and
deep blueing using a harder steel then production guns.
They are also unicorn pellets. They are virtually non-existent in the United States. I would go so far as to say there are none in the US.
The next 20,000 guns which are considered "three quarter rail" guns were the first commercially available 75's.
These are the "short rails" usually referred to by collectors. These were Czech produced guns.
In early 1980, the rails were lengthened to what we currently know and love.

(Source for this is Cold War Pistols of Czechoslovakia, James D Brown)
View Quote
ETA: Nevermind
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top