Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2017 5:38:32 PM EDT
What is the consensus on cz-50s? They look interesting.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one and really liked it. Great weapon.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Mag's will get you.

I kinda wanna get one though. Just because I like the classic PPK look.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
With it's bigger brother, the vz.52.
Neat little gun. I got mine for a steal since it wouldn't "lock open". Some new mag springs from Wolff and it worked like a champ.
I've only brought it to the range once though, just not enough time in the day. :-(

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Picked up 4 of them back in the late 80s while in West Germany (remember that country).  DA trigger pull will be hard but SA very decent.  Safety can work in DA/on safe, DA/off safe, SA/on safe (cocked and locked) or pushed all the way down as a decocker.  Guns where used by the Czech MOD to arm its internal security forces.  Generally made between 1950-52.  Solid steel design like a Walther PP.  Take down method, remove mag, pull slide back and depress take down button in and easy slide off front of frame.  Grips maybe either brown or black.  With its two brothers, all cocked and locked.

Gun was update in 70 as the cz70 for the commercial market.  Different grips but magazines are interchangeable.  I've also had luck running a Walther PP .32 magazine in mine (only have one flat bottom).  For leather you may use one made again for the Walther PP as long as its not molded too tightly (take down button).  Top left below in carry rotation.  Don't remember who made the PP marked holster.  Spare mag carried in knife pouch  Since this is an older design, test with JHP before carrying.  I carry with a Winchester STHP in chamber but mag is full of either S&B or Hirtenberger FMJs.  Both some of my remaining hotter European 7.65mm ammo from long ago.  I reload for mine (gave the rest to family members) but put a tarp down in the backyard to catch those small cases as they go zipping out.  Only modification I did to mine was paint the front sight with a white base then neon orange for higher visibility.

CD
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 3:08:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a couple of the Cz-70s, and they were fun, accurate little guns with a lot of features you didn't find in budget European guns, like the afore mentioned safety/decocker, plus loaded chamber indicator, 1911 style mag release, etc. The double action pull is LOOOONG, but you can get used to it - one of mine was a BUG for some time, and worked just fine stock with Hydroshocks. Nifty functional pieces of history, but .32 ACP wouldn't be a primary round for me, and nowadays, barely a BUG caliber.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 3:24:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Forgot to mention another item ie slide hold open.  Magazines will lock slide to rear when empty but there is no slide stop lever.  Again another trick I learned with the Walther PP.  Remove full loaded mag from gun, pull slide to rear and insert your pinky finger into the ejection port and lift up on the slide stop lever.  Ease slide forward which is now locked open.

CD
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Are the vz50 much smaller and lighter than the p64?

My p64 has sat in the safe untouched for a while now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 12:34:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Found these on the web (50/70 same size)

cz50
weight 25 oz
length 6.5"
8 rounds of 7.65mm/.32 ACP

P64
weight 22 oz
length 6.3"
6 rounds of 9x18

CD
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks!

It weighs more.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:18:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Picked up 4 of them back in the late 80s while in West Germany (remember that country).  DA trigger pull will be hard but SA very decent.  Safety can work in DA/on safe, DA/off safe, SA/on safe (cocked and locked) or pushed all the way down as a decocker.  Guns where used by the Czech MOD to arm its internal security forces.  Generally made between 1950-52.  Solid steel design like a Walther PP.  Take down method, remove mag, pull slide back and depress take down button in and easy slide off front of frame.  Grips maybe either brown or black.  With its two brothers, all cocked and locked.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_45431.JPG

Gun was update in 70 as the cz70 for the commercial market.  Different grips but magazines are interchangeable.  I've also had luck running a Walther PP .32 magazine in mine (only have one flat bottom).  For leather you may use one made again for the Walther PP as long as its not molded too tightly (take down button).  Top left below in carry rotation.  Don't remember who made the PP marked holster.  Spare mag carried in knife pouch  Since this is an older design, test with JHP before carrying.  I carry with a Winchester STHP in chamber but mag is full of either S&B or Hirtenberger FMJs.  Both some of my remaining hotter European 7.65mm ammo from long ago.  I reload for mine (gave the rest to family members) but put a tarp down in the backyard to catch those small cases as they go zipping out.  Only modification I did to mine was paint the front sight with a white base then neon orange for higher visibility.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCF2001_CCW.jpg

CD
View Quote
Yeah...I remember West Germany....which Rod & Gun Club did you get yours at? I got mine at Grafenwoehr.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:33:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah...I remember West Germany....which Rod & Gun Club did you get yours at? I got mine at Grafenwoehr.
View Quote
Got two in Munich at $60 ea and two at Bad Tolz at $80 ea.

CD
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Got two in Munich at $60 ea and two at Bad Tolz at $80 ea.

CD
View Quote
I paid $80 for mine and bought a CZ85 in Ansbach.  There were two CZs I regret not buying the first was the CZ75 Short Rail and the other one was the CZ 83, which I later bought stateside.  Have not come across a short rail and missed out on the Retro Model.  Oh, I almost forgot....I also regret not getting one of those used Walther PP Police guns.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I paid $80 for mine and bought a CZ85 in Ansbach.  There were two CZs I regret not buying the first was the CZ75 Short Rail and the other one was the CZ 83, which I later bought stateside.  Have not come across a short rail and missed out on the Retro Model.  Oh, I almost forgot....I also regret not getting one of those used Walther PP Police guns.
View Quote
When where you there?  I was in Weisbedan 66-68' (very young, parents USAF) Bad Tolz 88-90', Stuttgart 00-03'.

CD
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 1:32:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I was in Ansbach from 88 - 91.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Ended up buying a cheap, rough one from cdisales on gunbroker. Going to try a vinegar bath or maybe that automotive rust remover. Can't decide to oxpho blue or duracoat. Where to find cheap mags?

Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Enjoy your cz50.  Your's is a later made one with the different hammer and markings.  Hope it cleans up for you.  For 50/70 spare mags check the usual surplus vendors.  I do have one Walther PP/PPKs (share same frame) 7.65mm magazine that works.  Its my one and only flat base magazine.  Check before buying however if you can.  Again look at marked Walther PP holsters to fit.

CD
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 4:34:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Doubt you'll find cheap mags. All the places I've seen they're about 50 bucks a pop.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 6:43:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I see that J&G Sales has the cz70 for $249.99
http://www.jgsales.com/cz-70-semi-auto-pistol,-32acp,-blued,-3.75-barrel,-vg,-used.-p-98606.html

Triple K has some but not sure if new for $38.00
https://www.triplek.com/product/cz-model-70-32acp/

Midway has Walther PP 7.65 mags with or without finger rest from $24.99-26.99.
https://www.midwayusa.com/walther-pp/br?cid=12826

CD
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey thanks for the midway link. Think that will work.

This one was $135 plus shipping. Shoots very well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Picked up one of the JG ones.

It's in really good shape. Pics to follow.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Looking forward to the pics.

CD
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

CD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD
Test fired, everything worked like a Swiss watch

Attachment Attached File

Accuracy was excellent for what it is. Sorry I don't have target pics.

Attachment Attached File

With her big sister.

Attachment Attached File

Serialis obscuris!

Can anyone tell me if she is made from the same hard, forged metal as the Pre B 75s?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:14:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Test fired, everything worked like a Swiss watch

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/383325/image-454016.JPG

Accuracy was excellent for what it is. Sorry I don't have target pics.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/383325/image-454018.JPG

With her big sister.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/383325/image-454020.JPG

Serialis obscuris!

Can anyone tell me if she is made from the same hard, forged metal as the Pre B 75s?
View Quote
Nice cz70 model, their just a updated 50.   Takes different grips however same magazines.  Based off my cz50 and pre 75s I would say same steel.

CD
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:14:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
With it's bigger brother, the vz.52.
Neat little gun. I got mine for a steal since it wouldn't "lock open". Some new mag springs from Wolff and it worked like a champ.
I've only brought it to the range once though, just not enough time in the day. :-(

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78310/cz50and52-350442.JPG
View Quote
Nice looking little piece. How is it compared to the P64? Size-wise and shootability.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:25:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nice looking little piece. How is it compared to the P64? Size-wise and shootability.
View Quote
Go back to the top of this page for size comparison between the two.  The P64 going to be more snappy in recoil due to size of 9x18 compared to the more controllable CZ in 7.65mm Browning.

CD
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Go back to the top of this page for size comparison between the two.  The P64 going to be more snappy in recoil due to size of 9x18 compared to the more controllable CZ in 7.65mm Browning.

CD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD
Never shot a P64. But the recoil on the CZ 70 was very mild, a very comfortable gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ended up buying a cheap, rough one from cdisales on gunbroker. Going to try a vinegar bath or maybe that automotive rust remover. Can't decide to oxpho blue or duracoat. Where to find cheap mags?

https://i.imgur.com/8NdJfs5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CSUhl04.jpg
View Quote
Would like to see what the gun looks like after the vinegar bath or automotive rust remover
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought my 50/70 used at a gun show so....
Dood sold me the other one he bought but with all the crappy stuff installed.  
Two magazines that didn't work.
And it appears that the slide is softer than butter just looking at the area where the hammer slides.
But it's a 50 hammer in a 70.  
This is why I shouldn't impulse buy from shaky Eddie at a gun show.

Speculation about the above, no evidence.

The Triple K mags are new manufacture but 3k is the promag of the pistol world.  They might work but chances are not for very long if they do. Soft steel and springs.

I have heard that folks use Walther pp/ppk magazines but, I purchased a pp magazine and it isn't even close.  
Is there more than one PP magazine?

Purchased a 50/70 mag on the ebays and was sent one with a bent feed lip face down of course,  just like the ones with the pistol that shaking Eddie sold me.

So I endevoured to fix at least one mag.  I made a mandrel and unbent it.  Used the spring out of the pp mag, and manage to get 6 out before a jamb.
I also Shimmed and smoothed the trigger, moved ther short chambered barrel ahead a smidge and beveled the hammer.

I need to order some wolff springs or it and my cz82 magazines.

Firearms addiction is some much fun sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I bought my 50/70 used at a gun show so....
Dood sold me the other one he bought but with all the crappy stuff installed.  
Two magazines that didn't work.
And it appears that the slide is softer than butter just looking at the area where the hammer slides.
But it's a 50 hammer in a 70.  
This is why I shouldn't impulse buy from shaky Eddie at a gun show.

Speculation about the above, no evidence.

The Triple K mags are new manufacture but 3k is the promag of the pistol world.  They might work but chances are not for very long if they do. Soft steel and springs.

I have heard that folks use Walther pp/ppk magazines but, I purchased a pp magazine and it isn't even close.  
Is there more than one PP magazine?

Purchased a 50/70 mag on the ebays and was sent one with a bent feed lip face down of course,  just like the ones with the pistol that shaking Eddie sold me.

So I endevoured to fix at least one mag.  I made a mandrel and unbent it.  Used the spring out of the pp mag, and manage to get 6 out before a jamb.
I also Shimmed and smoothed the trigger, moved ther short chambered barrel ahead a smidge and beveled the hammer.

I need to order some wolff springs or it and my cz82 magazines.

Firearms addiction is some much fun sometimes.
View Quote
meistermash

Sorry to hear all your issues.  There are two PP 7.65mm magazines.  One has a rib down the side and that's the one that you don't want.  Wishing you better luck with it.  PPK mag will be too short and a PPKs mag should work as it uses the frame length of the PP.

CD
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 12:17:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

meistermash

Sorry to hear all your issues.  There are two PP 7.65mm magazines.  One has a rib down the side and that's the one that you don't want.  Wishing you better luck with it.  PPK mag will be too short and a PPKs mag should work as it uses the frame length of the PP.

CD
View Quote
Ok thank you much. I thought they were all the same.  I'll look for one.  
On a more positive note, I bet my worked over version is now one of the smoothest.

This of course means that I will be needing to buy a Walther to utilize that one stray magazine.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why dont you have it sandblasted and parkerized?
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have wanted to set up a parkerizing kit. Don't have a sandblaster.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I am lacking in the .32 ACP department, so I might pick one of these up if someone can verify that the
flat bottom PP mags from Midway will work...

Oh - @Hesperus - where did you get those white grips for your stainless CZ? Those are beautiful!  
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#34]
@wry762

Hogue. They are PVC fake ivory. Very nice grips.

Just for the record though she isn't stainless, don't think they ever made Pre Bs in stainless. Titanium cerakote. Used to look like this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@wry762

Hogue. They are PVC fake ivory. Very nice grips.

Just for the record though she isn't stainless, don't think they ever made Pre Bs in stainless. Titanium cerakote. Used to look like this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/383325/image-473656.JPG
View Quote
Very nice - thanks! I just assumed it was one of the stainless 75s.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#36]
One of my old ones.

Attachment Attached File

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top