Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2021 11:06:46 AM EDT
I have my packet into the CMP (and I'm an optimistic person).   Before I get "the call", I've been thinking about grades.

In my head I'm immediately jumping to Service, to get the "nicest" 1911 possible.  But I see a lot of interest in Field grades.  Just curious why this is so?  Is it because they're less expensive?

Would love to see some discussion on why.

Thanks!

William
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Less likely to get a refinished arsenal refurb in my eyes.  Some preference to things more original as issued and carried rather than returned and sat in a box for many years.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have not seen a big difference in field versus service in regards to condition. It may be somewhat more likely to get a pistol with the same manufacture slide and frame at the higher price, but stil luck of the draw.
Ironically some of the rack grades I have seen while finish worn seem to be more likely to be all original and not rebuilt and therefore the most collectible
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have not seen a big difference in field versus service in regards to condition. It may be somewhat more likely to get a pistol with the same manufacture slide and frame at the higher price, but stil luck of the draw.
Ironically some of the rack grades I have seen while finish worn seem to be more likely to be all original and not rebuilt and therefore the most collectible
View Quote

Yeah, this is where I wish the CMP would do what AIM Surplus, others do and offer a "hand select" option.  I'd pay an extra $50 for someone to walk out there and get me a field grade with a Colt slide and an A1 frame. Or pick one that hasn't been completely refurbed.  Even if it was a "we'll give you what you ask for, but we're going to half ass it so don't be mad when it isn't what you expected" sort of thing.

But I understand they're not a gun retailer.

William
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
What CMP is doing is already much better (and time consuming to document condition of each pistol) than it's predecessor DCM. When DCM selling the 1911 surplus, that's the true lottery. No grading, some got lucky with virtually unused late war Remington Rand at the same price as others got reparked WWI M1911.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a crap shoot.  All of them have been rebuilt, probably more than once.  Mine was a service grade, Remington Rand frame, replacement slide and an assortment of other parts, all in vg or better condition.  It was exactly what I expected and am completely happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#6]
If my number gets picked IDGAF which one I get. Would love to get the one I deployed with but theres a snowballs chance in hell that will happen.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 1:09:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If my number gets picked IDGAF which one I get. Would love to get the one I deployed with but theres a snowballs chance in hell that will happen.
View Quote

I grabbed a couple of M17s when they came out and registered it with the FB group. This led to a post from an armorer who made mention of one of my serial numbers. Turns out, it was the exact gun he deployed with. Long story short, I made sure that gun ended up in his hands. If you haven’t already, get your serial number on the internet and hope for the best. It could happen.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 3:12:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Less likely to get a refinished arsenal refurb in my eyes
View Quote

Don't have this expectation.  The CMP specifically says most have been rebuilt, sometimes multiple times.  Whatever the criteria is, the CMP is assessing conditions.  There is apparently some overlap when it comes to a higher end field grade and lower end service grade and grading is always somewhat subjective to begin with.  

There have been some rack grades that are more beat up but claimed to have the original finish and there are some very nice looking service grades that are nice because they have been refinished.

Sometimes there are color mismatches of the slide/frame but very little wear.  Sometimes the color is consistent and even looks very nice, but more heavy sand blasting has been done and edges more rounded or lettering worn away.  Looking at pictures online may be a little misleading.

A lot of people get caught up with the whole idea of the slide and frame manufacturer matching.  Often that Remington Rand frame and Remington Rand slide (or Colt or whatever)  one gets don't really match since there were different versions of slides through production.  In addition to that, the barrel, grips and small parts will often be mismatched even if you get lucky enough to get a "matching" frame and slide.  Even if that frame and slide combo are of the same correct era, finishing may not match depending on how and when rebuilding was done.  

It does feel good to say the frame and slide match and to most this is preferable.  The part that shows the name of the manufacturer is only on the slide and one has to have a minimal understanding of the frame markings to know what frame it is.  To some, that Union Switch and Signal slide on the Remington Rand frame might look a little more impressive.  

If you came across a rebuilt 1911 with a Colt/Remington/US&S/Ithaca frame with a Singer slide (no you won't get one like this from the CMP) it would certainly not be Singer, but most would find it very desireable.

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#9]
If CMP staff found a Singer slided 1911, likely it goes to their auction.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going for the lower grades because I'm hoping that

1. someone will have painted numbers on it or possibly

2. not be refinished too many times.

I've got a retro AR with mostly original 602 parts.  The A1 buttstock has a big red stencil on one side - and it just looks damn cool.

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:42:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm going for the lower grades because I'm hoping that

1. someone will have painted numbers on it or possibly

2. not be refinished too many times.

I've got a retro AR with mostly original 602 parts.  The A1 buttstock has a big red stencil on one side - and it just looks damn cool.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2048/20210329_190256-1885197.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#12]
That's exactly what I want.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#13]
When the CMP first started shipping service grades a lot of them looked "brand new" from rebuild.  I was
wanting one with a "been there done that" look.  I selected field grade and received a Remington Rand
that had been rebuilt at Springfield Armory after WWII and then again at Anniston after Vietnam.  I'm very
pleased with what I received.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

When the CMP first started shipping service grades a lot of them looked "brand new" from rebuild.  I was
wanting one with a "been there done that" look.  I selected field grade and received a Remington Rand
that had been rebuilt at Springfield Armory after WWII and then again at Anniston after Vietnam.  I'm very
pleased with what I received.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/233426/image_jpeg-1901993.JPG
View Quote

I'd be really happy with that. Looks like the condition of ones I typically carried.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I picked mine up today...........1945 Remington Rand frame and slide, service grade..........I am pleased with it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#16]
It seems most of the service grades so far are unmarked rebuilds with post war replacement barrels or replacement slides. Seen a few field grades from folks that have a more original finish.

I picked service grade and got a non marked refurb with Colt frame and RR slide, replacement barrel. I'm very happy with it as the markings are all crisp.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top