Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2020 11:13:39 AM EDT
Did a post in GD asking for advice on which WML to put on my G17.3 that's been chopped to a 19 grip.  The two most common suggestions were the Surefire XC1B and the Streamlight TLR-7A  The XC1B is available for $195 and has 300 lumen off a couple of AAA batteries while the TLR-7A is available for $103 and has 500 lumen off a couple of CR123's.

Anyone have experience with both that can chime in and help with this decision.  I'll be honest and say I'm leaning toward the TLR-7A due to cost and output but the Surefire is...a Surefire.  Does that justify the almost double cost for 60% of the output?

Gratuitous pic of the pistol it'll go on:
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I have both of the original models (XC1, TLR7) they are both single batteries. G19.

I bought the XC1 first and the TLR7 soon after it released.

I prefer the TLR. Output is better. Size is not much bigger than the XC1. Controls on both are less than ideal but the new versions seem to have fixed that.

The only thing is I wish I could get an incog for TLR7.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll reiterate what I said in the other thread. I have and have been pleased with my XC1B. But, I bought it before the TLR 7 came out. If I were the market for a CCW WML today it would the TLR7.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I was a hardcore Surefire fanboy but that is no more.

Having bought and used a lot of lights I think as of today the X300U is the best pistol light available and the TLR-7A is the best compact pistol light available.

I'm really handgun-centric as IMO that's the tool I'm most likely to have when things go south so spending money isn't the issue. If Modlite gets around to making their large pistol light I may not have any use for Surefire any more.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Surefire  gets my vote for full size lights but fur the compact the tlr7a seems to be the best all around option.  I handled both a few weeks ago and like the tlr7a much for a g19 sized gun.

OP, On a g17 like yours you might want to consider a full sized light.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two XC1B that I carry daily and shoot with weekly. They have been flawless.

Also, China is asshole.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have big hands ... TLR7 (non A).
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for the TLR-7a.  IMHO, it's about the perfect light for a G19 sized gun.

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#9]
The TLR-7a is a great light. Compact, bright, controls are great and the cost is much better than Surefire.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a few XC1B’s for compact setups and I hated the things. The controls flat out suck and it seemed like they were always dead like there was a draw or something even one ones not being used. I sold all of them. I bought three TLR7A’s other the last 6 months for two P365XL’s and a M18 and they are far superior lights to the XC1B’s. I love the controls and how you can swap the buttons and run a high button on one side and low button on the other, and the battery life and output is night and day to the SF.

I liked them so much that I also purchased two TLR- HL’s for my M17’s and I’ve gotta say I like them and the beam pattern over my X300U’s too. IMO for rifle WML’s like an M300 or whatnot Surefire is still top dog but I’m definitely liking the Streamlight options over SF for pistol lights. If Streamlight had a pressure switch option for HK USP’s like SF does then I probably wouldn’t own anything but Streamlight pistol lights.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I dislike surefire controls, even on their full size lights. TLR7-A has better output, better controls, and costs less. Done deal for me Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#12]
There’s something to be said about nearly double the light output.  Personally, I see no reason to run a TLR-7 or XC1 on a G17 length slide.  At that point, you can put on a SureFire X300U or Streamlight TLR-1HL and get substantially better light performance, but if you want something more slim-line, then I can see where the TLR-7A is going to be desirable.  I like SureFire, but the XC1B is not a great light...but instead just mediocre.  500 lumens with 5,000 candela (TLR-7A) is far more desirable on a handgun than 300 lumens with 800 candela (XC1B).
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have two XC1B that I carry daily and shoot with weekly. They have been flawless.

Also, China is asshole.
View Quote

No Olights mentioned
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:46:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No Olights mentioned
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, China is asshole.

No Olights mentioned

I think he’s referring to the Streamlight product.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, China is asshole.

No Olights mentioned

7a is made in the US .  Soooo I'm not sure what he is referring to
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, China is asshole.

No Olights mentioned

https://www.brownells.com/manufacturers/streamlight/index.htm?avs%7cSpecial-Filters_1=Made%2bin%2bUSA
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, China is asshole.

No Olights mentioned

https://www.brownells.com/manufacturers/streamlight/index.htm?avs%7cSpecial-Filters_1=Made%2bin%2bUSA

Thank you sir
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Another vote for the TLR-7a.  IMHO, it's about the perfect light for a G19 sized gun.

https://i.imgur.com/GxRQ4YR.jpg

View Quote

@Yojimbo
What holster is that?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@Yojimbo
What holster is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/GxRQ4YR.jpg

@Yojimbo
What holster is that?

@rainmaker9

It’s a Tenicor Certum Lux 2.

https://tenicor.com/collections/aiwb-holsters/products/certum-lux-iwb-holster-for-glock
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the Tlr-7a, I find the compact size to be a good balance. I have a Tlr-1 on a Glock 34 size gun and it's ok. It seems a bit bulky and the controls stick out to far for me. The output of the Tlr-7a is 500 lumens as aposed to the 300 of the Tlr-1. I have OWB concealed carry holster for all three plus Safariland 6360 holsters as well. Looking to buy another one for my M&P 2.0 9mm compact.

I have never tried the XC1B.

VP9 4", M&p 2.0 45 4.6" & M&P 2.0 9mm 5"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top