Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2019 10:36:24 AM EDT
Do any of you have legal defense insurance in case you have to shoot in self-defense? If so, who do you recommend?
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I have USCCA.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I use USCCA as well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
What level?
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
CCW Safe
Defender plan with Civil Liability coverage
I did quite a bit of home work and it seemed
to fit the bill for me....
all the money upfront coverage for a legitimate
issue, and no frill's, that I probably wouldn't use anyway.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I have US Law Shield, they were on the ground within an hour when someone local to me for in a shooting at a parking lot. Lawyer showed up and he was never charged, good shoot. Plus they have no limits on how much they are willing to spend to defend you.

Here’s the story: Lowe’s shooting
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have USCCA.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I went with US Law Shield also. The price is decent compared to the others, and they cover you for all civil and criminal lawsuits with no dollar limit. They are a group of lawyers who will represent you, while the other options are basically insurance companies who will pay your lawyer up to set dollar amount. Note they don't cover fines, should you lose a case.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#8]
USCCA.
Co worker just had a road rage incident. He didn’t shoot but he did pull his gun out when thug was jiggling his door handle and yelling at him etc.

When bad guy ran back to car buddy took off. Then saw dude was following him. So buddy calls 911. Drives to cop shop. Bad guy followed. Turns out bad guy called 911 first and said crazy white guy pulled up to him and pointed gun out window at him.

Buddy was going to get charged for brandishing cus bad guy called first so they where taking his word for it.

He ended up getting cuffed and stuffed into county jail.

He called USCCA. They where there within 20 min and took care of everything.

Ended up staying the night in county jail because bail didn’t process fast enough.

But got out the next morning with no charges ever filed.

Shit that he was “detained” at all. But at least he the lawyer to take care of everything as fast as possible given the shitty pd they where dealing with.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 1:11:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
USCCA.
Co worker just had a road rage incident. He didn’t shoot but he did pull his gun out when thug was jiggling his door handle and yelling at him etc.

When bad guy ran back to car buddy took off. Then saw dude was following him. So buddy calls 911. Drives to cop shop. Bad guy followed. Turns out bad guy called 911 first and said crazy white guy pulled up to him and pointed gun out window at him.

Buddy was going to get charged for brandishing cus bad guy called first so they where taking his word for it.

Ended up staying the night in county jail because bail didn’t process fast enough.

Shit that he was “detained” at all. But at least he the lawyer to take care of everything as fast as possible given the shitty pd they where dealing with.
View Quote
Not to distract from the thread, but this is evidence that proves what I've heard a lot (and unfortunately has sometimes been dismissed as 'hand wringing' or 'inviting the man into your life'): if you ever even draw your gun, call the cops IMMEDIATELY when it is safe to do so, for this very reason.  The first person to call is naturally going to be believed more than the second.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 1:14:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I had USCCA

Then the state of Washington outlawed "murder insurance"...
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Considering this thread, I think I'll pass on USCCA.

Has anyone gone with CCWsafe?
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Florida has Red Flag Laws now, I can only find one company that claims to cover RFL. It is Firearms Legal Protection, any others?
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:50:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Look at ACLDN.  They list their expert witnesses as well.....
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have USCCA.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I did a lot or research CCW safe seemed like the best option.

CCWsafe was the first (and I think only) to win an actual case in court.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
USCCA.

View Quote
That's not how any of this works...
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I went with CCW Safe.

They may not have the best insurance against civil suits, but that's not an issue where I live as you're immune to a civil suit if your shoot was deemed a good shoot.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#18]
What do premiums look like for such insurance?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:39:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What do premiums look like for such insurance?
View Quote
I pay $30/month for my USCCA membership. They have a less expensive option and a more expensive option. I like their magazine. Good articles. I'll sum them up: Get professional training. Then train some more. Also you should train. After you train then take another training class.

This is the correct advise.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Step 1, get a dash cam, preferably one which can be easily rotated to the action, vids don't lie. Step 2... if you pull your gun presumably you were afraid of "great bodily harm or death", then use it. Brandishing is stupid.

Several years ago down here (in Miami) during a road rage chase, one guy pulled over, opened his window, pulled a gun and the second guy came up took the gun from guy #1 and murdered  him with it. Guy 2 was convicted of manslaughter, reason? once guy #1 was disarmed there was no reason to shoot him.

My dad once said... "you can have a temper, or you can have a gun, you cannot have BOTH" I agree.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:24:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I have insurance through Second Call Defense.  I’ve been continuing research and I’m considering switching to USCCA.  Mainly due to the fact that USCCA let’s you choose an attorney where SCD provides one without choice.    Hopefully I’ll never have to know if I bought good insurance though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Step 1, get a dash cam, preferably one which can be easily rotated to the action, vids don't lie. Step 2... if you pull your gun presumably you were afraid of "great bodily harm or death", then use it. Brandishing is stupid.

Several years ago down here (in Miami) during a road rage chase, one guy pulled over, opened his window, pulled a gun and the second guy came up took the gun from guy #1 and murdered  him with it. Guy 2 was convicted of manslaughter, reason? once guy #1 was disarmed there was no reason to shoot him.

My dad once said... "you can have a temper, or you can have a gun, you cannot have BOTH" I agree.
View Quote

Fuck no it isn't stupid.  If you can prevent shooting someone just by the presence of a weapon that's a win.  With that said, if you pull your firearm when it isn't warranted you're a moron.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Fuck no it isn't stupid.  If you can prevent shooting someone just by the presence of a weapon that's a win.  With that said, if you pull your firearm when it isn't warranted you're a moron.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I've drawn twice, no shots fired. Presentation of gun had them turn their backs and run. I ain't shooting them in the back when they're fleeing. Had they continued advancing after I drew, I would have fired. Real life happens fast, I'm very grateful that both times I did not have to shoot someone, but know that until they turned and ran, they were getting shot.

ETA: I do not currently, nor have I ever had carry insurance. US Law Shield is always doing stuff at my LGS, so that's likely who I'd end up with if I do get it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#24]
https://www.uslawshield.com/. They are hooking up VCDL members with some extras.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Whatever one you choose, read the legalese before you sign!

I looked at one of the more popular ones several years ago, and best I could make out for what they actually covered appeared to be little more than your carry license or permit.

In other words, if you were involved in a self-defense shooting they would help you keep or get your carry license back.  There was no mention in the legalese (fine print) about covering your court costs for a criminal or civil trial, even though they alluded to it in their splash-page advertising.

Don't buy based on what their advertising seems to say, or what they promise you on the phone.  If the legalese is too twisted to understand, pay a lawyer for an hour of his or her time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've drawn twice, no shots fired. Presentation of gun had them turn their backs and run. I ain't shooting them in the back when they're fleeing. Had they continued advancing after I drew, I would have fired. Real life happens fast, I'm very grateful that both times I did not have to shoot someone, but know that until they turned and ran, they were getting shot.

ETA: I do not currently, nor have I ever had carry insurance. US Law Shield is always doing stuff at my LGS, so that's likely who I'd end up with if I do get it.
View Quote

In either of those two cases did you call the police?  Did you give a statement?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#27]
USCCA.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#28]
SDF.com
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Out of all the insurance companies available, only one has fought an actual case and won, CCW Safe.

USCCA is a sham. They make a lot of claims that they cannot validate and avoid discussion.
CCW Safe has won the only defense case that has been recorded to date, but I wouldn't jump on them so fast.
US Law Shield comes up often because they will defend you for things unrelated to firearms if such things happen.

At the end of the day, all insurance companies are useless if you are never charged. Be smart and make the choice for yourself. Since there is only one case to review, you have to compare policies and rates. Make an informed decision.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Out of all the insurance companies available, only one has fought an actual case and won, CCW Safe.

USCCA is a sham. They make a lot of claims that they cannot validate and avoid discussion.
CCW Safe has won the only defense case that has been recorded to date, but I wouldn't jump on them so fast.
US Law Shield comes up often because they will defend you for things unrelated to firearms if such things happen.

At the end of the day, all insurance companies are useless if you are never charged. Be smart and make the choice for yourself. Since there is only one case to review, you have to compare policies and rates. Make an informed decision.
View Quote

I'm not sure this is true. The number one reason I have Law Shield is so I can follow the legal advise of not giving a statement without an attorney.

The second reason is you can be charged or threatened with charges even if you did nothing wrong, which can result in substantial legal fees.

ETA: Also, if your attorney helps you keep from getting charged or going to a trial in the first place, I'd consider that a bigger victory than winning a trial.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm not sure this is true. The number one reason I have Law Shield is so I can follow the legal advise of not giving a statement without an attorney.

The second reason is you can be charged or threatened with charges even if you did nothing wrong, which can result in substantial legal fees.

ETA: Also, if your attorney helps you keep from getting charged or going to a trial in the first place, I'd consider that a bigger victory than winning a trial.
View Quote

Not sure if it's true? There is some truth to it. If your state has legislation that forbids anyone from seeking a civil case if the shooting was considered justified then it's true. Otherwise, you may need that policy for help in a civil suit, if your policy has that coverage. Even then, I've seen some questions raised when it comes to what the actual policy covers.

If the second reason is that you can be charged, but you're saying my statement of not being charged is untrue, you're essentially agreeing with me. You're not charged unless you're charged...
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not sure if it's true? There is some truth to it. If your state has legislation that forbids anyone from seeking a civil case if the shooting was considered justified then it's true. Otherwise, you may need that policy for help in a civil suit, if your policy has that coverage. Even then, I've seen some questions raised when it comes to what the actual policy covers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I previously thought.  However, as it was explained to me, civil proceedings can still start against you prior to your shoot being found to be justified.  This means you may still need representation and incur legal fees.

If the second reason is that you can be charged, but you're saying my statement of not being charged is untrue, you're essentially agreeing with me. You're not charged unless you're charged...

You said, "all insurance companies are useless if you are never charged."  I disagree with that statement.  I think we both agree that they have value if you are charged.  On that we agree.
My point was that Law Shield, at least, is useful even if you are never charged.

In any case, your point about reading the small print and choosing carefully is good advise and well taken.

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

In either of those two cases did you call the police?  Did you give a statement?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've drawn twice, no shots fired. Presentation of gun had them turn their backs and run. I ain't shooting them in the back when they're fleeing. Had they continued advancing after I drew, I would have fired. Real life happens fast, I'm very grateful that both times I did not have to shoot someone, but know that until they turned and ran, they were getting shot.

Both times. First time resulted in police following up with me a few weeks later to go over mugshots and see if I could point out the perps. They'd tried an armed robbery at a gas station down the road from the one I was working at, and police wondered if it was the same guys that I thought were going to try and rob me.

ETA: I was also asked when their case was going to trial if I would testify if needed, but they plead out, so wasn't needed.

Second time, dispatch didn't send a cop out for my statement. Got my contact info in case the guy I drew on contacted them about it, so an officer could follow up the investigation, but nothing came of it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Second call defense
(Reccomended by two police officers for what that is worth to you)

Defender level

Just upped my premium to cover the wife as well.

( She has seen crazy people during this virus scare and last year when she thinks two thugs (female/Male team) were trying to divert her attention while pumping fuel for auto.

$20 a month
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top