Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2021 6:42:38 PM EDT
Bought 500 rounds of Winchester 147gr 9mm. Almost ever round has these burrs on the rim of the cases. They are large enough for my fingernail to catch them. Is it going to affect feeding and function of the ammo? It will all be shot suppressed. My guess is the machine they were made on had a burr or something.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt it'll effect ejection. If your pistol is already rather weak on the ejection, and you get very unlucky and the ejector happens to grab on the burr, then that thou difference is enough to cause the ejector to slip, but its unlikely. I say just shoot it, it should be perfectly fine for range use
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
"COVID ammo". QC is minimal at best and all ammo makers and sellers are dumping EVERYTHING into the market. Ammo that would have been rejected and pulled 12 months ago gets shoved out the door. Buyers and distributors are screaming for inventory and everything, regardless of price and or quality sells out.

The ammo in the OP will probably shoot fine. But if the OP bought that ammo to put away for a SHTF rainy day now has something else to think about. I have lots of Fed. HST 9mm (that I bought for $18.99 for 50) and many of the rounds have a dent in the same exact location. It has never effected function but I pull the dented ones from my carry stash and shoot it for practice.  

I have bought ammo in the past 12 months and almost all of it was sub-par compared to the "same" ammo from 2019 and before.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I emailed Winchester and got a response today. They advised I send the ammo back for their testing. They can’t tell me yes or no if it’s safe to shoot. And due to the shortages they will not give me any replacements. Only a refund. So that sucks. I waiting months for this stuff and I get this.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I emailed Winchester and got a response today. They advised I send the ammo back for their testing. They can’t tell me yes or no if it’s safe to shoot. And due to the shortages they will not give me any replacements. Only a refund. So that sucks. I waiting months for this stuff and I get this.
View Quote

I'd keep the ammo, its fine to shoot
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd keep the ammo, its fine to shoot
View Quote

Same here. Shoot a box and unless it gives you some trouble, shoot it up. Although prices may come down in the next few months (barring some new legislation idiocy) but I doubt ammo quality will be back up anytime soon.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
So i shot 150 rounds of this stuff today. Only had two malfunctions. Not really sure if it’s ammo related. One was with my Beretta APX. It failed to go into battery/Feed. Ejected it and re-inserted it and it shot fine.
Second was with my HK SP5. First malfunction I have ever had with it. It might be because it’s dirty since I haven’t been cleaned in at least 800 rounds. Chamber and mag had a big clusterfuck in it. Not really sure what to make of it. Both guns were shot suppressed the whole time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Duplicate thread; other has more replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top