Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2020 7:48:22 PM EDT
How many times do you load the same bullet in your semi auto before it goes in the tin to shoot at the next range session ?
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont keep count.  I just visual inspect.  

Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Never had an issue.
View Quote

The problem with that if it sets back after you inspected it then chambered the round, you do not know if it set back that time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The problem with that if it sets back after you inspected it then chambered the round, you do not know if it set back that time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never had an issue.

You never really know that do you?
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two identical go to guns. One is loaded 24/7 and the other does range duty. I swap them out every 1000 rounds. By doing this I reduce the number of times a round is chambered. I use Federal HST which seems to resist setback pretty well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I rotate out my carry ammunition every six months or so. I shoot my carry piece (G43) about every two weeks. When I reload with my carry ammunition I don't drop the slide to chamber a round. I ride the slide home to control the force of the feed on the round being chambered. This results in zero setback issues. When I reload the magazines after shooting, the chambered round usually goes to the bottom of the mag. This routine results in any one round only being chambered or re-chambered a few times at most.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Visually inspect and also rotate rounds in the mag (I try not to rechamber the same round over and over). Maybe a few times a year I shoot off all the ammo in my carry mags and replace it with fresh ammo.

The only ammo that I have seen any setback are aluminum cased. Regular good quality JHP should take many many chamberings without issue. But then again, it also depends on your gun. Some guns really slam the round into the feed ramp and can deform them with just a single chambering, like some un-ramped 1911's and maybe PPK's.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have a hard and fast rule, just inspect the top round every now and then and rotate rounds in the magazine. When the top round is showing a lot of wear from the extractor claw, I'll either rotate it or pull it (my carry pistol isn't my HD weapon, so it's unloaded in the house).
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I chambet a round and whenever that gun makes the next range session that chambered round is the first one down range. I avoid rechambering rounds loading and unloading my guns.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Carry ammo gets chambered once.
When I unload the weapon for cleaning  the chambered rounds gets placed in a box for range use and testing on new guns when they are aquired.
Carry mags stay loaded and are never used after they are tested and cleaned.
Yes, I have seen guys come out to my range and unload and reload carry rounds all the time. I have seen the bullet setback on several occasions from this practice.  I bring it to their attention and the practice is terminated by the shooter.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Carry ammo gets chambered once.

View Quote
Not if you train regularly with your carry gun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Once. After I break in a new gun, 500-600rds, I shoot a box of carry ammo to check zero and that's  it. Cleaned every month or so, never shot again after break in, chambered round goes to the range box and I put in a new SD round to the chamber. No worries, carry gun is clean, fresh ammo, I am at that point where I don't shoot my carry gun. I have an identical gun to train with and put the mileage on.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Inspect rd, looks ok, I don't worry about it. I have personally tested this on my G22. Not a problem I can see with Ranger, GD & HST.
However as I said looks ok, would also mean the rim. If it's gouged or looks a little worn from the chambering I will replace.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top