Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2023 2:17:00 PM EDT
This forum hasn't had much activity in a while, figured I'd spice it up.

I just picked up a Bulgarian Makarov from Atlantic.  Paid more than they used to be, but I kinda always wanted one, and figured I should pick one up before they get even more expensive or hard to find.

This was the cheapest non-squared trigger guard Makarov option on their website; their pictures made it look like it would be quite rough.

Here it is as received:

Not bad.  Nowhere near as rough as the example on their website.

Even so, I knew I wanted to swap things out, so I got one of the FAB defense/Zahal grips that gives it a beaver tail and a more modern magazine release (which works really, really well; mags drop free now):

My original plan, especially if the gun was rough cosmetically, was to do this:

But now I'm not so sure, I kinda like it as is, and that commie bluing is nicer than it has a right to be.

Oh well, thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the first I've seen that grip module - very cool.

But, as you note, the blueing is too nice (with honest wear) to cerakote the slide.

If you leave as is, you keep collectability intact for later.

I wish that all the other importers had done discreet import marks on the grip, like yours.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice. Maks are a guilty pleasure for me. They have gone up in price and ammo is harder to come by but, I sure do enjoy shooting the ones in my collection.

It's a shame that PolishIron stopped making grips as they were reasonably priced and very comfortable. The only down side I've head about with FAB grips is they are supposed to be a bitch to remove.

The square trigger guards and slides with an angled rather than curved rear profile by the hammer& thinner nose/beard profile are leftover Arsenal parts that had been made for the Miltex special editon pistols. I always kinda liked the unique profile on those parts.

Given the finish wear, I'd be temped to nix the import mark and refinish the whole pistol.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread Reminds me that l need to sell mine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
In the last few days I ordered the parts for a .380 IJ-70 from "every gun part", so that I could switch calibers if I wanted, but also to get another slide to cerakote; the bluing on this one is just too nice!

I also found the replacement fixed sight for the weird Russian adjustable thing, and ordered that.

And two magazines.

And already scoped out who I'm gonna send the slide to for refinishing, because then I'll be "devaluing" one of zillions of shitty-finish Russian commercial pistols, and also upgrade the sight after.  So I'll be able to have my cake and eat it too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
In the last few days I ordered the parts for a .380 IJ-70 from "every gun part", so that I could switch calibers if I wanted, but also to get another slide to cerakote; the bluing on this one is just too nice!

I also found the replacement fixed sight for the weird Russian adjustable thing, and ordered that.

And two magazines.

And already scoped out who I'm gonna send the slide to for refinishing, because then I'll be "devaluing" one of zillions of shitty-finish Russian commercial pistols, and also upgrade the sight after.  So I'll be able to have my cake and eat it too.
View Quote

Nice plan, OP. there is a Bay of E seller that stocks Mak Barrel presses to make swaps easier.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Blitzkreig:

Nice plan, OP. there is a Bay of E seller that stocks Mak Barrel presses to make swaps easier.
View Quote
I'll get something like that on down the road, if only to hedge bets against 9x18 ammo scarcity in the future.

Here's another picture, just because:

That bluing really is better than it deserves.  And while it has some nice honest wear around the edges, still makes more sense to refinish a russian baikal slide with their crappy flat blue.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#7]

And two magazines.

View Quote

I need more info on the replacement rear sight for the IJ-70
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 6:21:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter] [#8]
Originally Posted By gunnut284:

I need more info on the replacement rear sight for the IJ-70
View Quote
I'm not an expert by any means, but:

Fixed Rear Sight Replacement

Some other discussion on mounting.

Apparently a slight shim may or may not be required.  No surprise for Vodka-fueled manufacturing from Russia

I ordered another site screw at the same time.  I probably shouldn't be allowed to 'smith on my guns, so if there is some way to break it, I'd find it
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not an expert by any means, but:

Fixed Rear Sight Replacement

Some other discussion on mounting.

Apparently a slight shim may or may not be required.  No surprise for Vodka-fueled manufacturing from Russia

I ordered another site screw at the same time.  I probably shouldn't be allowed to 'smith on my guns, so if there is some way to break it, I'd find it
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By gunnut284:

Thanks
View Quote

I have one of those on mine.  I like it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 2:55:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spydermonkey] [#11]
There used to be a company making the IJ-70 fixed sights and they stopped for several years. I harassed them enough a couple years ago and they did another run of them. There's a thread, but its long been archived.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 4:48:38 AM EDT
[#12]
That grip is pretty cool. Does it come in black?
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 7:49:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter] [#13]
Originally Posted By Harmonic_Distortion:
That grip is pretty cool. Does it come in black?
View Quote
Opticsplanet Link

Link where I bought my FDE one
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 7:50:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Spydermonkey:
There used to be a company making the IJ-70 fixed sights and they stopped for several years. I harassed them enough a couple years ago and they did another run of them. There's a thread, but it's long been archived.
View Quote
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#15]
There used to be a company making the IJ-70 fixed sights and they stopped for several years. I harassed them enough a couple years ago and they did another run of them. There's a thread, but it's long been archived.
View Quote
I received the replacement rear sight, but the parts / slide are in FedEx purgatory, and the original ETA has slipped multiple times.  I'll try to get some before/after pictures of that install.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Not sure what I was expecting from "EveryGunPart", but it certainly wasn't this:

Apparently they sell parts almost exactly as pictured on their website.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 1:37:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I also would not have expected that type of packaging
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 2:25:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spydermonkey] [#18]
@Seven-Shooter

Found the rear sight and a Navy Arms Co .380 conversion barrel still new in package. Looks like it was the same site that I harassed years ago as the IJ sight from gunpartswarehouse looks identical. I know I've bought from them before, just couldn't remember what.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#19]
@Seven-Shooter

Found the rear sight and a Navy Arms Co .380 conversion barrel still new in package. Looks like it was the same site that I harassed years ago as the IJ sight from gunpartswarehouse looks identical. I know I've bought from them before, just couldn't remember what.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102945/8C38D84F-67A8-4D19-B07A-2259A29C2085_jpe-2748898.JPG
View Quote
Navy arms?  There's a name I haven't heard for a while.

My Makarov parts above are from a .380 IJ-70, so it included a .380 barrel (so I can hedge my bets for calibers in the future).

I already sent off my slide for Cerakoting; hopefully I'll be able to get that done and finish this project in the next couple of weeks.

I also ordered an FDE Serpa type holster for my Makarov, just because .  If I'm going for an "updated" Makarov, may as well get an updated holster too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Short version: project done, pictures!

Longer version: The holster arrived, and I got the slide back from its refinish, and I'm quite pleased with how the whole package came together.  The Cerakote place did it right, and I'm lucky that they were able to blast off the badly done import markings for the Russian commercial slide, so the slide is smoothe on both sides.

The new sight picture is much, much better than the fixed Bulgarian sights.  The rear sight notch is wider, and should be faster and easier to pick up the front sight.

Pictures!

Just the pistol itself with the refinished slide:

On the bench with the holster:

And I'm the holster itself:

So now I have a modernized, refinished Makarov with improved sights and drop free magazines, in a modern holster.

It's lipstick on a pig , but I like it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#21]
No comments on my FDE Mak?  

Nice, I left ARFCOM speechless
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Interesting project. I'd be curious to try out the grips and holster on the range but, I loved the patina of the original bluing

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Short version: project done, pictures!

Longer version: The holster arrived, and I got the slide back from its refinish, and I'm quite pleased with how the whole package came together.  The Cerakote place did it right, and I'm lucky that they were able to blast off the badly done import markings for the Russian commercial slide, so the slide is smoothe on both sides.

The new sight picture is much, much better than the fixed Bulgarian sights.  The rear sight notch is wider, and should be faster and easier to pick up the front sight.

Pictures!

Just the pistol itself with the refinished slide:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/2B9E23CA-37BE-4B70-B3EE-587AD0E0D186-2771919.jpg

On the bench with the holster:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/7C449507-478E-4ECB-8632-6567A0DB2B71-2771917.jpg

And I'm the holster itself:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/049111C5-9A45-4EEE-8593-18D13F40CBFA-2771918.jpg

So now I have a modernized, refinished Makarov with improved sights and drop free magazines, in a modern holster.

It's lipstick on a pig , but I like it.
View Quote

I like the pig.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:39:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mav3rick] [#24]
No comments on my FDE Mak?  

Nice, I left ARFCOM speechless
View Quote

Looks like you did a nice job there. If you like it that is all that matters. For me l personally don't like FDE looking guns, so l think the original look is better.
I have a pistol that is two tone FDE/BLACK that one day l will get all cerakoted black.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top